iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Your profiles

Started by Jeff, October 20, 2004, 02:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I now have a down and dirty way to add additional fields to our profiles. In the past I have said, just stick whatever you want  in your signature file, but that hurts search results. Say if somebody searches for information on "LT15" as an example, and Whitepe has listed in his signature that he has an LT15, the search will return his posts, even though they probably are not relevant to what the person might be looking for.

What I am looking for here are ideas on what else we should or could include in profiles. Remembering we are not all sawyers or loggers or foresters or landowners. Thats not to say we cant have fields that apply to only one, such as sawmill type.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bro. Noble

Jeff,

You are absolutely right ----that Whitepe is not relevant :D :D  or is that irreverant? :o :D ;)   Well he would have said the same about me if he had thought of it first ;)

On the member info.,  this isn't what you are asking,  but it would sure be nice to know a little about ALL the members.  I even miss having the members locations during this transition.

Why not add some sort of reward for having abiography------maybe an ornament or bird or something in their trees.  Maybe make it a requirement for 'full membership'
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Jeff

Fixed your location request :)

Jeff

We could make it a requirement, but certainly we still must respect ones right to privacy so I don't know if that is something we should do. Some folks simply do not want to put their info "out there" problem is, it already is somewhere. :)

I am actually planning a little contest for once we get this done. You will have to have filled out the new profile to be entered in the drawing. :)  We did this a couple Christmas's ago and that is my plan for this year.

shopteacher

Great idea Jeff.  I vote you put up a new Mercedes for the prize.  My trucks getting a little old.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Kevin

Jeff

Kevin, thats nice of you to offer, but are you sure you can afford it? Remember the term "exchange rate"?

Bruce_A

Jeff,  for this uneducated typist,  what you have just put into print, might as well be a language from some where in outer space.  I failed to understand what you are doing, let alone how you are doing it. And I read it twice slowly.

Kevin

Bruce;
He's on medication.
Try to humor him.

Furby

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Carefull Kevin, you may end up loseing a limb instead of Jeff!  ;D

Jeff

Bruce_A

That is not really fair, now I have to add that to my favorites list.  And I am already having trouble keeping up with the reading here. How do you ever keep up with it all.

Jeff

O.K., just for fun I added one. Click on my name and view my profile. see the category Food Group?  Now, if you click on your profile button, you can set your's in your profile.

sprucebunny

I didn't understand a bit of it either, Bruce_A.
I just figured I'd go with the flow and whatever Jeff decided was probably the best for whatever reason.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Jeff

I guess my mistake was showing you what I needed to ad this? did my last post ad any understanding?  I will remove the screen shots above to remove confusion.

Weekend_Sawyer

I'll bet DanG's foodgroup would be "Gritz"

mine would be "Omni" I'll try anything, even pinesap!
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Weekend_Sawyer

Looks Like Jeff or someone with Omni privleges gave me gritz
An I like em 8)

Weekend_Sawyer

::)oh I see, everyone starts out with grits. ah well that's ok
kinda like an appatizer ;)

Weekend_Sawyer

Ah boss, I hate to keep pickin at it but now I got taters.

Jeff

Kevin_H.

I had to go and make sure mine was on taters...Sorry, just cant do grits :-/

That line must be south of illinois. :D
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Weekend_Sawyer

Heay now, I don't even know what Maramite is... But I'd love to try it :D

Jeff

O.K., now how about back to my original question on this. What sort of things make sense to have in an extended profile?

Weekend_Sawyer

Yea bet you'd like a real answer.

Ok, howbout favorite chainsaw, make of car, have you ever seen "Never Give An Inch" and did you like it.

The part of a user's profile that I like best is the Bio, I am most dissapointed when someone does not fill that out. I know you have tried to encourage folks to do it mabe it's time to remind folks again that they can tell us a little about themselvs, I mean really a forum is about talking.

Thas all I got.

Paschale

Jeff, I think you should pop up a reminder about the profiles and the bios every couple of months.  I didn't even realize I didn't have a bio in there for myself.   ::)  I think when people first join, like when I did, they're just mainly interested in checking out the info and maybe posting a random question here and there, so they really don't bother with filling out the bio.  But over time, they realize that this is a DanG good place to hang your hat, and by that time, they'd probably be more interested in posting a bio, but they don't think to do it, just like me.

As to your original question, I think a category that just talks about what everyone's career is would be interesting--there's a lot of guys online who I wish I knew more about that part of their life, and if they're hobbyist sawyers, or full timers.  A spot for "job description" or "day job" or something like that might be cool.  

For what it's worth, if y'all wanna fresh bio to read, you can check out mine.    
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Jeff

Paschale

Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Gilman

Good reminder Jeff,
I didn't finish mine like P.'s but I at least started it.  Maybe when I get reminded next month I'll add the next chapter. ;D

Cool profile P. (notice I don't even try to spell your whole name) :D

Jeff,
After reading P's profile and I'm a woodworker by primary hobby, has there been much interest in a Woodworking section to the FF?
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Frank_Pender

Ok Jeff, I just went to my Bio to possible do an update.   Now, how do I do that? :P  I hit bio and nothing happend. :'(  I put the curser where I had left off and nothing. :'(  I must have missed something that says "update bio".  I will go back and snoop around. :P :-/

Gilman, what are you doing up so late?
Frank Pender

Frank_Pender

I figured it out.   8)Gee, this puter stuff is kinda fun, sometimes. :-/
Frank Pender

moosehunter

Jeff,
 I did it.
Moosehunter
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

DextorDee

Uh yea, ifn you choose a food and enter change profile ya bio goes bye bye..Right? Can ya fetch my bio? ::)
I forgot about the fine print ???
Ken
KI4BMW
North East Georgia

Jeff

THis is a good time to fix that bug That old bio add on was bugy. we can use this to add a new bio spot and get rid ofthe old.  

I dont think thas makes the bio go by by though.

DextorDee

Maybe i wasn't suppose to hit change profile when i selected food > I had one now i don't. It wern't that interesting anyway.
No complaints.
Jeff, you do a great job with this forum..
Hats off to all you Admins
Thanks
Ken
Ken
KI4BMW
North East Georgia

Gilman

Frank,
Busy reading the FF! The FF is nice and quiet at that time of night.

Did you get up at 3:00 AM?  I've heard of the early bird, but the worms aren't going to be up for at least a couple hours. :D
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Furby

Ok, lets see if I'm even close to understanding this.
The problem with the new search is it searches the signature line. So we'll more or less do away with the signature line and place fields in our profiles to put things that are now in our signature line and then some. How'd I do??? Any place close to the ballpark???

Will any of the new fields in our profiles be viewable on our posts? I do kinda like seeing the stuff that is now in our signature line when reading some posts. It's not a big deal, but it does take more time to pull up someone's profile.

Jeff

THats pretty much the idea.

It also takes time for all that extra data to load in the post.

If somebody searches Mark III bandsaw mill right now, they will get the last 15 or so posts made by you. Now, how many of your posts had anything to do with your mill, and how will that search have helped a guest or visitor to this forum?

But in answer to the question, I can actually make any of the new feilds appear on a post at any given time. Maybe useful? dunno yet.

Furby

Cool!
So would any of the fields you make show up, be searched by the search? Or would the profiles still be searched, regardless of where the info is?

Actually I did just make a post concerning my mill, but never gave the make. ::) But that does explain the results I saw of a couple of searches, and yes it does mess things up.
Are you planning on keeping this search?
It would seem to be a waste to change things only for this search and then dump the search down the road.

Bruce_A

Jeff, I am not good with the computer, but I can read slowly and when working with others I try to lead by example, so I tend to follow the same way.  As our leader , WE WILL FOLLOW YOU,  nice bio.

Murf

Hey, I think I finally got this 'pooter whupped into submission and the profile thing all figgered out.

Thanks for the anti-Cannuck code bashing there Jeff. Maybe that anti-Cannuck code has something to do with Mad Cow Disease, they won't let Mad Jack#$%'s across the border either.  :D

Anyways, whatever the reason, I finally got Deputy Dawg installed in his place of honour over there to the left, keepin' an eye on me as he always does.

Thanks again.
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Bruce_A

Jeff,  I hope I managed to do this profile thing right.

Thank You Sponsors!