iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

decided to build a shed out of hard maple.

Started by woodjunky, February 27, 2016, 10:00:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodjunky

I need to build a small 8x8 shed for my wife to store her upholstry projects. So I went to the lumber yard for a material quote........ 675$$$!!! Thats is skimping out on material quality too!

Sooooo. Time to put my woodmizer to work I guess. I should have went this route to begin with, but I dont have any pine to make lumber. Also the shed would be in town, where "normal" building materials would blend in better...

What I did have is a chunk of about 1 acre of hardwoods that I plan to clear for work space this spring. The area was partially cleared for a camp. I plan to be swinging my 10k lb crane around and will be clear cutting the space. Hard maple, cherry up front. There are 2 small white ash i see too. Back of the property, red maple, white ash, and basswood enter the mix. I dont have log moving equipment yet...So bringing the cheaper wood from the back to build with isnt a option. Plus 3 ft of packed snow doesnt help....So my adventure begins.

There was 8 hard maples 8-12" diameter at base, dangerously close to the mill..... Dangerous if you were a tree, and i need logs... :) So i dropped 5 of them parallel with the mill. 8'6" lengths were small enough for me to wrestle logs onto the mill. Had to use a come along on the biggest... ANyways. Im having very mixed feelings about this shed. On one hand. Im cutting my own trees. Trees that will be cut anyway. Free in a way. Using the material i have to make a structure. All seems logical.... Then these beautiful white boards start coming off the mill....... A shed?   

I decided to make it a timber frame structure. 5x5 corners. 5x5 gable rafters. 2.5x4 rafters.   1.5x2.5 studs flush to inside of corners. 3/4" wall and roof covering. The 5x5s have enough reveal where i will make some lap siding to go in between the timbers. It will be clean looking. Not just a rustic "shed"....

Almost done making the lumber... Im just torn. Hard maple lumber, this shed would cost a small fortune to build. And even more to have me build it. lol. And Im supposed to just put it out side??? crazy........... dang crazy stuff going on.

terrifictimbersllc

Use what you've got.  But beware maple has no rot resistance, bottom of siding, sills, anything that gets wetted with every rain is going to be powder in 3-4 years.  Paint, stain etc won't protect it.   Also the timbers may get powder post beetles but that will take a long time to damage the structure if ever.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

thecfarm

If you can save money using what you have,than use it!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

AfraidChocker

I built a deck out of White Ash one year because it is what I had. It only lasted a few years, but I got to enjoy what normally I would not have had at all, so I considered worthwhile.

My goal is to always do for myself as much as I can. I believe that is sound advice. Get pictures when you are done!!
As a sheep farmer, I have no intentions of arriving at the pearly gates in a well preserved body, rather I am going to slide into heaven sideways with my Kubota tractor, kick the manure out of my muck boots, and loudly proclaim, "Whoo Hoo, another Sheppard has just arrived!"

Kbeitz

My buddy just made a dresser. He was short one 8" x 8' maple board.
He paid $35.00 for that one board to finish his project.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

woodjunky

yea, after I made most the lumber... Today I decided to google maple rot resistance...yeaaaaa, not good. So i might need to rethink this. i Have some scraggly cherry. maybe some stone down low? Dang.

No wonder why there arent any maple sheds out there?  lol

bkaimwood

I can't help but wonder if it would stand the test of time with a disciplined regimine of annual, or bi annual quality stain? I would think so...input please from experience?...
bk

Thank You Sponsors!