iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log turner for LT15?

Started by Brad_bb, February 26, 2016, 08:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

I know there has been a long thread on sawmill mods, but it's a lot to sort though to try and find what I'm looking for.  I'd really like the abilility to raise either end of a log and turn it to get the orientation I want.  I like to cut crooked logs for timberframing, so these functions are more difficult for me due to the nature of the logs I'm trying to cut flat on two sides.  Selecting the orientation and getting there takes 10 times as long as it takes to cut them. 

I would really prefer not to have to design something from scratch as I'm sure a number of sawyers have done this already.  I want to find the nicest, best design though.  Note that the mill will be stationary and have electric power available.  The mill is going eventually be electric.  Right now it has the 19hp Kohler gas engine.  I'll either convert this mill or trade it in for a stationary "wide" LT15.

Thanks for any help!
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

pineywoods

Look here. There are several on lt15..Log turner, clamp, to roller and backstop, 110 volt electric power..
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,39860.0.html
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Jeff

Go to the topic, and use the search at the top setting it at "this topic". It will only return things from that topic. You have the choice with the top search box to search just the topic you are in, or limit it to the whole board you are in, or select the forum as a whole.  Feel free to start a new topic if you want, but certainly know that is is not that hard to find anything you want within a given topic with the search.  Its much easier than throwing off a load of firewood.  ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kbeitz

I took the cheap way. Sizzor jack.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

thecfarm

Brad,put on 3-4 of those rollers,just to make sure you have one in the right spot.  ;)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

47sawdust

Not exactly sure what you are trying to do.If you are set up in a building can you use on overhead lift on a trolley?
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Brad_bb

Thanks guys.  Giving me some ideas.  I don't want anything overhead.  I'm cutting crooked logs flat on two sides.  I have to get the log in the best orientation before I cut and that usually involves a lot of messing around, using my forklift to lift one end to shim it up, but then it rotates out of position, back on the forklift, up and down, using wedges and a can't hook by myself.... Having rotational control and the ability to lift each end will make it much more efficient.  If I'm cutting a log flat on two sides to end up 6, 8, or 10 inches thick, you have to adjust each end of the log so that you get full thickness ( or as best you can) for the whole length of the log.  This is critical to the outcome of the piece.  Look at this thread for an example of what I like to do.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,88980.0.html
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!