iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Detroit 353 loud knock

Started by Plankton, February 26, 2016, 12:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plankton

Tried barring both directions, only moves from noon to one then I hit more resistance then I can move with a breaker bar and all my weight.

Ya I'm in the nearing the end of a large job I was hoping to get finished before mud season hits hard. I could have moved a lot of wood in the time I've been down already going to go for the fastest option to get up and going again.

Completly rebuilt warrantied engine 40 minutes away is very tempting.

jwilly3879

Check the blower! When the bolt backed out of mine it got into the timing gears.

Plankton

Worst part is I just spent a lot of time resealing the oil pan a few days ago and I have around 10 hrs on the fresh oil.

Red Good

Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

Plankton

Bolts are tight on blower pulled the outer cover and the screen was half gone fins look a little worn. Pulled the bolts on front and the long ones facing the radiator but could not figure out how to take the blower off...

coxy

maybe something in the bell housing/clutch may have come apart  :-\ :-\ :-\

coxy

Quote from: coxy on February 27, 2016, 07:27:18 PM
maybe something in the bell housing/clutch may have come apart  :-\ :-\ :-\
sorry for got to read your last post  :) :)

BargeMonkey

I'm half willing to bet you lost a timing gear on the backend, and a piece is bound up. My 353 in my forwarder died the exact same way with the same symptoms. 4800 isn't bad money with a warranty but find out what it covers and for how long.

millcreek40

Red good   I was wondering the same thing. I have seen more than one motor toasted because of to much silicon   Plugs up the oil pump.  Just a thought. Tear it apart you will find out shortly. Good luck hopefully nothing serious
Two 240A Timberjacks, Mack log truck, Multitek 2040 wood processor.

tantoy

Quote from: millcreek40 on February 27, 2016, 11:07:27 PM
Red good   I was wondering the same thing. I have seen more than one motor toasted because of to much silicon   Plugs up the oil pump.  Just a thought. Tear it apart you will find out shortly. Good luck hopefully nothing serious
oil pump screen is so big on that engine I just don't see that, but when you (assume something) :D
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

David-L

Raymonds Repair in Bernardston, Mass are good Detroit people. My buddys 230 sounds so smooth after they did a rebuild. Been two years and that motor is still oil free. I would find a warm place and tear it down. How about Rick Shaw in Munson,Mass. hes' also got years of detroit. PM me and I will give you his # and raymonds.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Plankton

I used right stuff gasket maker for the oil pan. I doubt that's the issue I used a thin bead and was very careful installing. I've pulled an oil pan off one of my farmalls that had inches of sludge grime etc In it and that engine runs fine.

Got the engine 90% prepped for pulling yesterday didn't have enough buckets for the fluids and didn't have bunks etc for an engine stand. Going to get it out today and seperat the torque converter to see what I'm working with.

I don't have confidence to rebuild this engine by myself in a good timeframe. If I wasn't in the middle of a job I would do it myself to learn how but...

Ed_K

X2 on Raymonds Repair, I have their # if you need it. I would also weight the option on the offer of the rebuilt motor, how long can you wait for the rebuild to be up and cutting wood.
Ed K

kiko

I have not had to be a Detroit man in a long, long time thank goodness.  However since you can spin the engine somewhat I am willing to bet the engine is hydro locked with fuel,  the blower will also lock a detroit down,  or a dropped valve.  Ignore me if I am repeating any previous post.

treeslayer2003

Logger RK

I'm guessing a dropped valve. Which if so,pulling the head might of been a first step. But as they say what opinions are like 8)

Plankton

Engines in the back of my truck right now. I couldnt get my friend out to crane it out of the skidder any earlier unfortunatly. Called some repair places but there a month out or so plus the week to rebuild. Going to drop it off at RCS in the morning and the new one should be in the skidder wednesday.

Crossing my fingers to be pulling logs thursday.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions on what's broken. When it first blew I felt like doing it my self but I'm going to go the easy and expensive way for the sake of time. I could have pulled 4k dollars worth of logs in the time it's been down already.

If I wasn't behind on a job I'd love to tear it apart and learn how to do that for next time.

Plankton

coxy

is that ford going to have the guts to drag around a gm part  :D :D                             don't worry I have a 96 f250  8) 8) 8)

sandsawmill14

Quote from: coxy on February 29, 2016, 08:45:22 PM
is that ford going to have the guts to drag around a gm part  :D :D                             don't worry I have a 96 f250  8) 8) 8)
:D :D :D  :D                            im driving a 99 or 2000 (i forget) f250 with a v10 all i'll say is it will pull ::)

plankton sounds like you have it figured out :)  dont worry about the money you will never miss it next year and will still be pulling wood ;)  i think we have bought 5 crate engines over the years and never regretted it. we have built several engines but what it boils down to is down time. miss an extra weeks work and you already paid for the engine twice :o
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Plankton

Haha oh yeah my old powerstroke is gloating a little pulling a broken Jimmy!

330k miles so much blowby she makes a cloud when idling but I put all the goodies on her I can turn it up to around 350 hp and have some fun!

jocco

What do you have for a skidder? AT first I though it was a jack.

Quote from: Plankton on February 29, 2016, 09:06:43 PM

330k miles so much blowby she makes a cloud when idling but I put all the goodies on her I can turn it up to around 350 hp and have some fun!
You may check out but you will never leave

Plankton

coxy

Quote from: Plankton on February 29, 2016, 09:06:43 PM

I got ya beat over 400k don't use any oil I change it every 10k and it maybe down a 1/2 or a quart depending on how much I tow she is no beauty queen but runs great   are they going to tell you what happened to your old motor

timberlinetree

Hope you get up and running soon! F150 200k 4.6 motor 5000# trailer up a really steep hill about 1500' floored and only 2 qts of oil in there and still runs and sounds good. Don't just ck for oil in a ford but for a dipstick( witch I am :D)to. Mine broke off.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Thank You Sponsors!