iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pulp Truck

Started by Farmboy 96, February 25, 2016, 09:12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farmboy 96

Well I'm not rich so buying a new truck or anything near that is out of the question. No I don't have any contracts of my own but I know I can sell logs both hardwood and softwood on my own just fine and figure when the times right I'll come up with some way to get  my own contract or some tickets to use. I'd pay for it just like I pay for everything else by pulling myself out of bed and going to work.

My trucker was getting "slack" because with warm weather this year hes hauling mainly at night and not much during the day and he has quiet a bit lower number of trip tickets to local paper mills. When i call him to tell him I have some wood to haul its taking him 3-4 days sometimes more to haul my wood. I don't blame him for it all. The Two other truckers that I tried were both reputable well known guys in the area. One guy made a simple mistake and I just didn't like what happened. The other one is a lying crook.

Woodhauler I am new to the game, I'm not the best at what I do but as far as my piling goes when the trucker comes in to load there usually loaded in 15 - 20 minutes. I'm not saying i haven't had a few rough piles because I have but I've never had anyone complain about it. No it won't be all peaches and cream with an old junk truck but atleast I won't have insainley high payments like you guys with your shinny newer more up date trucks.

millcreek40

Farm boy I admire your desire. I am a one man show as well. I do all the cutting & skidding & hauling. Also do roughly 350 cord of split wood on my Multitek   You surely can do it. I did. Everybody told me I couldn't do it alone. So far so good. But there is much more upkeep on the truck than the skidder. With the skidder you don't have dot checking it over from top to bottom. Get something half way decent & work up from there
Two 240A Timberjacks, Mack log truck, Multitek 2040 wood processor.

Woodhauler

Quote from: Farmboy 96 on February 28, 2016, 09:20:58 PM
Well I'm not rich so buying a new truck or anything near that is out of the question. No I don't have any contracts of my own but I know I can sell logs both hardwood and softwood on my own just fine and figure when the times right I'll come up with some way to get  my own contract or some tickets to use. I'd pay for it just like I pay for everything else by pulling myself out of bed and going to work.

My trucker was getting "slack" because with warm weather this year hes hauling mainly at night and not much during the day and he has quiet a bit lower number of trip tickets to local paper mills. When i call him to tell him I have some wood to haul its taking him 3-4 days sometimes more to haul my wood. I don't blame him for it all. The Two other truckers that I tried were both reputable well known guys in the area. One guy made a simple mistake and I just didn't like what happened. The other one is a lying crook.

Woodhauler I am new to the game, I'm not the best at what I do but as far as my piling goes when the trucker comes in to load there usually loaded in 15 - 20 minutes. I'm not saying i haven't had a few rough piles because I have but I've never had anyone complain about it. No it won't be all peaches and cream with an old junk truck but atleast I won't have insainley high payments like you guys with your shinny newer more up date trucks.
All I have to add to this is good luck!!!! 
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

jocco

Wood hauler why not just go haul for him? Sounds to me like the problem would be solved.

Quote from: Woodhauler on February 29, 2016, 05:31:43 AM

You may check out but you will never leave

Woodhauler

Quote from: jocco on February 29, 2016, 07:41:40 AM
Wood hauler why not just go haul for him? Sounds to me like the problem would be solved.
Not enough quota for my regular guys as it is now!!!

Quote from: Woodhauler on February 29, 2016, 05:31:43 AM

2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Farmboy 96

Millcreek thats my plan start with what i can afford and go from there. If it works out good i'll hopefully get something better later on.

millcreek40

I started with a old single axle white with a prentice loader. I wish I could ever figure out how to get photos off my iPhone on here. I have lots of pictures .  My mack is not new by a long stretch but always gets the job done.
Two 240A Timberjacks, Mack log truck, Multitek 2040 wood processor.

Maine logger88

I have to agree with woodhauler at least in my area there is a bunch of good reliable truckers in the amount of time it would take to load and haul a load of wood I could have a good start on another load I can make a lot more focusing on cutting then trying to juggle logging and hauling. That's my situation yours could be different. Either way it's good to see a young guy with some ambition!
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

jocco

I will add if you do not know much about trucks and loaders get some one to go with you that does!!! The loaders can be costly and a labor pit too. Truck must pass inspection (no small deal) You need a cdl licence too!!! I would surly try to get something decent and have a payment. AT say $10,000 grand I doubt you would get much more that a yard truck. TIRES Lets say tri axel 14 tires all need replacement at $600 each =$8400 (doubt you have casings). I could tell you a lot more on repair bilss and maintainance!!! You might look at a yard loader to load trailer trucks with as an option.

jocco

Well wood hauler jump in and tune my last post up on this subject!!! Last swivel motor, swing unit, power dived, loader pump, I dealt with cost the owners lots of money!!!! :o

Quote from: Woodhauler on February 28, 2016, 07:50:00 AM
Quote from: Farmboy 96 on February 26, 2016, 09:11:32 PM
I know hauling my own wood wouldn't be a huge money saver but I wouldn't have to wait around to have someone pick up the wood. Lately the guy i hire to haul my wood has been getting slack.

So I tried a few other people that haul wood in the area and just haven't had any luck. One guy that showed up took forever to pay me because he messed up and put it in wrong information at the mill and I had to fight argue to get him to call the mill up and straigtin it all out..

Other guy I had took a full load of fresh cut popple about nine cords and only paid me for 10.71 tons. I got my paperwork and check in the mail and I was pi**ed. On the trip ticket it has his name, his tent to harvest number, and its the wrong date and time. He crossed his name out and wrote my name in under his with a pencil. He took my load and put it in his name and info. When i confronted him he tried blowing me off and told me that what he paid me for was my load. I might be young but I'm not stupid. I made just enough to pay stumpage, buy fuel for that load  and buy my daily Moxie.

After that I knew i needed my own truck.
I have dealt with cutters like you, New to the game, can't put up a pile worth loading and everyone is sticking it to you. There is a reason you have gone through 3-4 truckers since you started cutting last fall. I would recommened buying a old truck because we have 15 new dot cops coming on this summer. They put my new truck out of service because of 1 drop oil on the ground. Also do you have any contracts at any of the remaining mills in maine???  I have hauled and had some crews for 35 years now and with all my contracts I am only selling 6-8 loads aweek of pulp. Logs are ok. Being 19 yrs old you will pay 2500 a year insurance, and atleast 1500 for registration. You will find that its not all peaches and cream with a old junk truck.

starmac

I am sure not trying to discourage you in any way, but you need to look into insurance before you pull the plug.
I was in my 20's when I bought my first truck and had a hard time finding an insurance carrier that would carry me, I doubt things in this regard have gotten any better.
I am now pushing 60 and have a log truck for a sideline, My insurance company which has no problems insuring me to pull tankers on the most dangerous road in the US, just said NO when I tried to get insurance for the log truck, it seems most companies here will not even talk to you when you mention logs.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Farmboy 96

When it comes to working on truck I'm not to worried my uncle is a mechanic for a local excavation company and works on trucks daily I know he'd help me out if I needed it. Never worked on a loader but they can't be all that complicated to work on it's mainly just hydraulics.

I got my Class A CDL in early january at a local tech school. I know insurance will be pricey espicially being so young and not having much experience.

Going to look at a 1986 International s1700 with a dt 466, 13 speed with a 110 prentice and 16 foot skeleton body this weekend. Man says it just needs two new tires on front, hydraulic hoses to the bucket on loader, its missing two of the six stakes because he took them off and put on his other truck and the driver seat has a huge gash in it so that would get replaced to. Pictures he sent me show that the trucks seems like its been taken care of pretty good. The 8 back tires look like there just about new, cab doesn't show any rust or rot Motor compartment is clean and looks good. Overall the truck looks straight and nice. Said he's selling it because he's retiring. Price is $19,000

Bert

I got the CDL and log truck because I was in the same boat as you. Couldn't find anyone who wasn't acting like they werent doing me a huge favor even though I was paying them. Recently found a guy who will haul my logs no questions asked and goes out of his way to get my stuff. Its not worth turning the key in my truck. I learned my lesson and glad I got the license and also got another truck to haul my lumber but I'd ask around for a good hauler before going through the expense. Having your own stuff is nice, but also a headache. Those guys have a lot invested in hauling logs and its not an easy go. Just because someone has a fancy rig doesn't mean they are show boating, that's their living.
Saw you tomorrow!

sandsawmill14

thats at least 5000 more than that truck would bring here. i could have bought a s1700 with the same bed but no loader for 3500 bucks last summer. keep looking you can find one 10-15 yr newer for that price you have to remember that truck is 30 yrs old  :o there is nothing wrong with old equipment but keep in mind you could easily spend another 10 grand on it in the first year i dont know about loader but the pump on mine is 3500 and the swing motor is about 1500 but on the bright side the dt466s ive had over the years were about indestructible :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

jocco

I am sorry I have to agree with others, that truck is high$$$ and I do not think it is heavy enough spec or power  (for hauling wood). I would take my time and really look especially with spring coming and bad wood markets!!! Also I found look for trucks in places where they were used in tree service around a city. Sometimes low miles and they were well kept and not beat up. BUT many times they were light spec. I would favor tri axle around 400 hp and very heavy frame and running gear :P My opinion

Quote from: Farmboy 96 on March 01, 2016, 02:54:21 PM
When it comes to working on truck I'm not to worried my uncle is a mechanic for a local excavation company and works on trucks daily I know he'd help me out if I needed it. Never worked on a loader but they can't be all that complicated to work on it's mainly just hydraulics.

I got my Class A CDL in early january at a local tech school. I know insurance will be pricey espicially being so young and not having much experience.

Going to look at a 1986 International s1700 with a dt 466, 13 speed with a 110 prentice and 16 foot skeleton body this weekend. Man says it just needs two new tires on front, hydraulic hoses to the bucket on loader, its missing two of the six stakes because he took them off and put on his other truck and the driver seat has a huge gash in it so that would get replaced to. Pictures he sent me show that the trucks seems like its been taken care of pretty good. The 8 back tires look like there just about new, cab doesn't show any rust or rot Motor compartment is clean and looks good. Overall the truck looks straight and nice. Said he's selling it because he's retiring. Price is $19,000

Maine logger88

That seems a lot to me. The 110s were a good strong loader but they haven't been made for 35 years and the outriggers on them suck lol. Make sure to look over the rack and pinion I'm not sure if there available you could get them 10 years ago but it was like 1200 for just the rack also look over the rest of the swing they were known to crack up pretty bad. The 466 is a nice little engine for a light truck the IH were hard to beat imo. As far as being small temple is right next to Farmington right? If so then you wouldn't need to do much long haul between the Farmington chip plant (if you can find a contractor that will give you tickets) and irvings in dixfield.
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Autocar

My first loader was a 110 I rebuild all the packing in the cylinders and the swing cylinder rack and pinion was wore out so I took it apart and welded up all the teeth and it worked like a new one. But I agree with Maine logger 88 the out riggers sucked. I would hold out for a newer truck and loader there out there you just have to keep a eye on different up coming auctions and web sites. We all started somewere, like I told you before don't let anyone scare you off  ;D.
Bill

Woodhauler

Quote from: Autocar on March 01, 2016, 06:32:56 PM
My first loader was a 110 I rebuild all the packing in the cylinders and the swing cylinder rack and pinion was wore out so I took it apart and welded up all the teeth and it worked like a new one. But I agree with Maine logger 88 the out riggers sucked. I would hold out for a newer truck and loader there out there you just have to keep a eye on different up coming auctions and web sites. We all started somewere, like I told you before don't let anyone scare you off  ;D.
No ones trying to scare him, just being realistic! The lack of mills in maine, 10-15 new dot cops coming on board and he looking to run a old truck is not going to work well. I would start calling all the wood brokers in the area and see how much pulp you can sell. I have had a contact with verso for 10 years or so, hauled 10 loads aweek into jay,bucksport and dover. Now I get 3 loads a month!! Just not a wise choice to spend money on truck the way things are. Also banks are not going to lend money on old iron now.

jdeere540a

that ih dose sound light duty but I have seen them as log trucks before.  A guy near me bought one new in the 80s dt466 5+2 single axle with a tag axle and a Prentice 120 he just retired it last year.  i agree with maybe looking for a tree service truck thats what mine was its a 1978 ford l9000 with 350 big cam cumins 13 speed 46000# hendricson and a barko 80 loader. I payed $11000.00.   

Jeff

This topic has about the worst misuse of the quote function as I've seen in months.  You do not, and should not quote when it is obvious what or who you are replying to. Especially quoting the post right before you or quoting a long post in its entirety to simply profess your agreement.

Stop it!  It a annoying in multiple ways. Especially when it's a complaint to me that makes me have to post this.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

furltech

Quote from: Jeff on March 01, 2016, 08:30:59 PM
This topic has about the worst misuse of the quote function as I've seen in months.  You do not, and should not quote when it is obvious what or who you are replying to. Especially quoting the post right before you or quoting a long post in its entirety to simply profess your agreement.

Stop it!  It a annoying in multiple ways. Especially when it's a complaint to me that makes me have to post this.
X2  i just couldnt resist

David-L

Take your time and save up a bit and be ready to jump when the right one comes along. Unfortunately I believe that there will be plenty of iron for sale as there are more and more mills going down the tubes and with out work for equipment and payments due you will find the right one eventually. I am a one man team who has a good trucker at the moment who is reasonable but when he is retired I will be buying a truck unless someone replaces him. I like the quote of running your #'s and having a business plan to see if its feasible. Good luck.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

xalexjx

i'd hold off, you'd be better off to buy a loader to sort and load trucks, only way I could justify having my own truck would be if i were cutting over 80 ton a day and could keep the truck busy full time, but in my senario im only sending 80-120 ton of pulp a week and the rest is firewood or logs. Its a lot less headaches not having to deal with owning a truck, find a good trucker and up your production to give your trucker steady work. Plus getting rid of the wood is going to be more of an issue after the spring break up and everyone gets back to work, the market is  pretty well flooded right now.
Logging and Processed Firewood

711ac

Quote from: Maine logger88 on February 29, 2016, 10:39:23 PM
Either way it's good to see a young guy with some ambition!

That's for *DanG sure!!!
You'll figure it out one way or another young man, just like we all did. You got your head straight, go for it - cautiously. Like a guy told me, "just keep a small nut". (payments) This will serve you well for the rest of your life!

Ed_K

X 2 on 711ac says, but find someone to help you write a business plan, you'll need it to work with banks to gain lines of credit.
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!