iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I Did a Tree Hugger Kind of Thing...

Started by AfraidChocker, February 25, 2016, 07:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AfraidChocker

I am going to take a hit on this, going to be forced to chew on my Caulked Logging Boots, be forced to forever hide my axe...yes I succumbed to the ways of a Tree Hugger.

But I had too!

I had this killer tooth pain, and out of dire emergency went to the dentist where he found it was not my broken off tooth that was giving me fits, but the one behind it. Yeah I had to have two teeth extracted! No big deal, its painless today, but then I got dry socket which is where your jaw bone is exposed to air, food and his highly painful. For anyone that has ever had it, they will tell you; it is worse then giving-birth pain. No joke, google it. They say Child birth is the equivalent to having 10 broken bones at once, but tooth pain is equal to eleven...so I was in pain...all weekend. Even Vicodin's teemed up with Ibruphrophen and Tylenol were not working!

Finally I get to the dentist Monday morning and he said there is only one thing they can do for it...dry socket paste, but once it wears off, the pain returns. I was determined to stop that so parking my gas guzzling Ford Explorer for the trip, I borrowed a Prious, went to the local pharmacy and got some...

Clove Oil Extract.

Also known as...Tree Hugger Extract.

I am not into herbal remedies of the natural extract kinds!

Talk about feeling and smelling like a Tree Hugger. I permeate the smell everywhere I go. Needless to say...and I must say this delicately...amicable domestic relations has completely stopped because there is no way my wife will let me sleep in the same bed with her, much less land a kiss! I suppose I could go to a Phish Concert; with me smelling like a walking clove for a wee bit of love, I mean it would be like a porcupine attracted to a hemlock tree. You guys have seen me, I am nothing great to look at, but I still have my standards of having a woman who shaves her legs and doesn't smell like the dirt I drag my logs through. Of course that whole "forsaking all others" thing at our wedding has something to do with it too.

Is it worth it?

Actually it is.

Clove Extract is the only thing I have found that has killed dry socket pain!
As a sheep farmer, I have no intentions of arriving at the pearly gates in a well preserved body, rather I am going to slide into heaven sideways with my Kubota tractor, kick the manure out of my muck boots, and loudly proclaim, "Whoo Hoo, another Sheppard has just arrived!"

OneWithWood

Oil of clove had a small starring role in 'Marathon Man'  ;)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: OneWithWood on February 26, 2016, 10:54:18 AM
Oil of clove had a small starring role in 'Marathon Man'  ;)

YEARS ago, my wife had her wisdom teeth extracted and had to have cotton soaked in clove oil packed in her dry sockets.  Yes, nasty.

On the subject of Marathon Man - I have now had 3 root canal procedures.  The third was a piece of cake - so to speak.  The first two, NOTHING would kill the pain and during the procedure, all I could think about what Dustin Hoffman in the movie.  Now, that is the definition of pain.  I stuck a nail into my heel bone stomping on some scrap wood for firewood when I was young and dumb.  Had to stand on the board with the other foot to pull it out.  That brought tears to my eyes but that was nothing compared to root canal!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Paul_H

When I was in elementary school it was fairly common to smell cloves in the classroom because some poor kid had a bad toothache and was using the oil. it smelled really good but I don't believe the kids were enjoying it.  :-X

I've had a bad toothache but the worst pain I ever had was when the fallers truck wouldn't start after they switched the fuel tanks so I crawled under and switched lines and gasoline blew back in my face. In the eyes and mouth didn't bother at all but when it seeped far down into my ear canal it was like somebody was addling my brains with a marline spike. I remember writhing on the ground hoping to pass out but it passed after a minute or so.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

AfraidChocker

My wife disagrees. She has spewed 3 daughters out of her womb without pain killers and disagrees about the level of pain a toothache can cause. I am not sure. I remember being in the room with her on the last one and I was getting sleep between the contractions until about 15 minutes before we were blessed with Kaelyn.

Still, she made a gut wrenching cry of agony, and I am thinking, "Boy am I glad I had the easy part in this", and just about then the Dr walked in, yelled "don't push", but the wife did anyway, and the Doc had just enough time to catch the baby. yes literally caught the baby!

I had a new appreciation of woman and what they can endure after that.

My first daughter, that one came out "the easy hole" as I call it. Cesarean Section!
As a sheep farmer, I have no intentions of arriving at the pearly gates in a well preserved body, rather I am going to slide into heaven sideways with my Kubota tractor, kick the manure out of my muck boots, and loudly proclaim, "Whoo Hoo, another Sheppard has just arrived!"

DMcCoy

I read or heard about using a jelly like substance found on common cattail.  The other person claimed it was as effective as Novocain injections just rubbed on the gums with your finger.  He used it before having teeth pulled, said it was pain free.  It is a clear jelly like substance found down low where the leaves join.
I have rubbed it on my own gums (no tooth ache) just to see and it did have a numbing effect because I wasn't hurting I don't know how effective it is.  Use at your own risk, pond water would not be the best thing to stick on an open wound without risking infection.

Kbeitz

First I've heard of this.... Is cattail the same as cat-o'-nine-tails?
I googled it and found nothing....
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

enigmaT120

http://www.cattails.info/

Even if you put 9 of them together they would not be as effective as a cat '9 tails!

They're pretty common around here.  Sort of edible.

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

DMcCoy

Kbeitz-
Common Cattail - Typha latifolia
I kinda doubt you will find any reference to the effects of the jelly on the net.  Mouth membranes are rather absorptive I believe but I am no dentist or MD.  Still it makes me think that jelly is very powerful.

FWIW- Willow bark is also a pain reliever and anti-inflammatory but that is more commonly known.
Willow bark is also a source or rooting hormone for rooting cuttings also commonly known in horticulture circles. 

AfraidChocker

I read somewhere that cattail can produce almost 600 gallons of biodiesel to the acre where as corn can only produce 400 gallons. The problem with the latter is it requires almost as much fuel to produce it as it consumes; not to mention the quadrupling the cost of fuel since so much land was diverted to corn instead of wheat, soy beans, etc.

At present the corn lobby has some serious influence, and the tree huggers want nothing to do with using cattails to make an alternative to petroleum, so there is no interest in cattail biodiesel production, but they claim Minnesota alone could make a serious dent in biodiesel from its wetlands alone.

Don_Papenburg

corn will produce only 0 gal. of biodiesel .  soy will produce 400 or more depending on yield.  Corn is used to make ethanol . 
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

AfraidChocker

You are correct I was thinking it was biodiesel, it was ethanol.

DelawhereJoe

They make whiskey from corn, that will get you good and numb and you wouldn't have to call yourself a tree hugger. Just no driving afterwards.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Thank You Sponsors!