iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wood stove for a trailer kiln?

Started by codyleviere, February 24, 2016, 07:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codyleviere

Im potentially going to be buying a older tractor trailer box to be used as a kiln. Any ideas of the best make, models and pricing for this sort of venture? The reason is to cut down on costs using a gas boiler

xlogger

Not sure on prices but would think you need an insulated box.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Most species need both heat and humidity control, which makes it hard to use a wood stove directly.  The heat or hot air from the stove is quite dry...too dry for most species of lumber.  So, using a heat exchanger and recirculating the air is important.  Venting is used to exhaust the moisture, if excessive.

In general, a dehumidifier in an insulated box is the best option for most folks.  Nyle dehumidifier company has plans.  There are some great pictures here in FF too.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

codyleviere

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on February 25, 2016, 08:18:12 AM
Most species need both heat and humidity control, which makes it hard to use a wood stove directly.  The heat or hot air from the stove is quite dry...too dry for most species of lumber.  So, using a heat exchanger and recirculating the air is important.  Venting is used to exhaust the moisture, if excessive.

In general, a dehumidifier in an insulated box is the best option for most folks.  Nyle dehumidifier company has plans.  There are some great pictures here in FF too.

Since the air would be to dry would i be able to just run at a lower temperature to help it dry slower?

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

That is possible, as cooler does indeed mean more humid.  However, as the stove needs fresh air to keep the fire going, it will need to be separate, so then a heat exchanger or plenum, like in a house furnace, would still be better.  We do like the hotter temperatures to keep the drying process moving at a good rate.  We did not talk about it, but you also need a fan to exhaust the moisture.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

codyleviere

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on February 25, 2016, 01:34:34 PM
That is possible, as cooler does indeed mean more humid.  However, as the stove needs fresh air to keep the fire going, it will need to be separate, so then a heat exchanger or plenum, like in a house furnace, would still be better.  We do like the hotter temperatures to keep the drying process moving at a good rate.  We did not talk about it, but you also need a fan to exhaust the moisture.

Yes it would be an outdoor wood boiler going into a heat exchanger. so as long as i keep it vented and the temp right it should work? Im relatively new to drying and want to make sure i get all my ducks in a row before starting this venture.

xlogger

that is what I'm doing with my owb, I just started this kiln but able to keep temp at 120° easy with a heat exchanger.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

DelawhereJoe

I don't know if this is feasible of not but could you use cpvc and run it like some sort of radiant floor heating set up. Sch 80 cpvc will handle 180° @ 210 psi. I dont think you will exceed that psi with your owb...but I could be wrong. I dont really know much about them.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Thank You Sponsors!