iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

quick question

Started by Quartlow, October 20, 2004, 04:10:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quartlow

if you had If I had oak 10' ers x 16" logs laying handy to the mill with a way to handle them how many of these could you saw  up in a day?

I realize there are a lot a variables I'm just kind of looking far a ball park idea.
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Brad_S.

Quartlow,

When I price a job over the phone and knowing I will grade saw to 4/4, I consider 30-35 such logs to be an 8 hour day with a tailer, but my mill is fully hydraulic. Maybe half to a third as much on a manual mill alone?
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Frank_Pender

Well, Quart, it would most likely depend on the thickness/width and the issue of having to sticker as I went.  If the wood was all 5/4, 6" wide and I allowed for my hour and a half nap, I could get through 12/15 logs. 8) They would all have to be washed and such, ready to go.  After the nap, I would get another 4/5 done. before supper. ;D
Frank Pender

Jeff

One every 1.5 minutes. ;D Honest.

You can tell me to get lost now. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

https://forestryforum.com/media/cmc.mpg

If you want to take the time for it to load, me in action on an aspen log.

sprucebunny

Hey , Jeff. That's neat !!!
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Gilman

Hey, I think you've done that before Jeff. ::)

I like how fast you can turn a log.  I didn't even catch it being turned the first time.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Paschale

Man!  That's impressive!   8)

How many logs will you guys go through in a day?  And what kind of board feet does that equate to?
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Jeff

We cut a log as fast as every thirty seconds. Depends on the log. We average 2500 to 3000 feet an hour on my mill-with the gangsaw resawing my cants. I flood the gangsaw so about every third log is completely processed by me.

RacinRex

Holy COW!!!!!

Do you saw ever log like that? Square three sides and send it packing? That is just awe-inspiring, the speed that mill has. I need to go tour Wagner Hardwoods (fomerly Cotton-Hanlon) now and see what their mill is like.

Trivia... not meant to hi-jack this post but:

For any that have been in sawing a long time and have known alot of people, my elementary school may actually ring a bell. I went to Howard A. Hanlon Elementary. As in Cotton-Hanlon my grandfather worked there and my mother was an office manager for the forestry dept. for about 15 yrs.
/ TRIVIA
81 Massey Ferguson 275 W/ loader
Stihl 046
Simplicity Bandmill
04 Dodge 2500 4x4 Quad Cab CTD
A whole shop full of wood working tools
and this is my hobby :)

beenthere

Thanks Jeff.
I enjoy the sights and sounds of the mill like you run. Are you missing it a bit?  
I can see where the bigger logs would be more enjoyable to saw, with a few more 'decisions' to make as you knock it down.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Nope, not every log. Depends what we are cutting. If we are cutting boards, about 2 of 3 logs will be cut down to a 3 sided cant. The 3rd log I will cut out completely while the gang saw processes the first 2. Some orders I cut everything with no help from the gang saw. 4 by 4's and dimensional cants, I will cut.

RacinRex

I just showed that to a few of my more "country-oriented" co-workers and they had a slack jaw just like me. I'm going to go watch it a couple of more times... so much stuff going on you have to watch it a couple of times to see everything that happens. Looks as if its your dancin partner.
Stihl 046
Simplicity Bandmill

Jeff

I have a clip somewhere that was taken more of what I am doing then what the saw is doing. It was a chot taken while we were going at a very fast clip. I will see if I can round it up. It gives an indication how I got "wore out" after 25 years of this. :D

Jeff

MemphisLogger

Jeff B a thread hijacker  :D

Seriously, Jeff, I am absolutely set on gettin' to run one of those saws someday. Heck, I'd even pay to run one for a couple o' hours.

The only way I could make my saw go that fast would be time-lapse photography  :-[
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

GF

That is something else, I can see getting wore out in 25 years, that would sure do it.

Furby

DanG it Jeff!!!!!!!!!! >:(
Now ya got me thinkin real hard about bidding on the next one at auction. ::) :-/

T_in_SC

Jeff,  I'll have to admit, your saw is a little faster than mine.

Bro. Noble

Quart low,

I usually figure about 15-20 minutes on a log that size.  We cut mostly 8 ft logs and make ties out of a lot of them so that makes a difference.

That speed deamon Jeff really made the belts squall on our WM,  while asking "is this about the right speed?"  :D :D  Still took him about 15 or 20 minutes to do a log that size ::)

milking and logging and sawing and milking

Ron Wenrich

I cut 10' red oak the other day and averaged about 275 lines/hr.  That includes the time needed to load and position the logs, turning and positioning the vertical edger.  It also includes downtime from sharpening, bathroom breaks, and any bottleneck clogs that happened during the day.

Running a circle mill on a 9 hour day.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Frank_Pender

Well, Jeff, I do not know if you were speaking to me or not about one every 1.5 minutes.
Frank Pender

OneWithWood

Man, Jeff I can see you get quite a workout in that booth.  I was a bit depressed watchin you fly through those aspen logs, knowing how long it took me.  
Then I figured it out  ???

I been listening to the wrong music  8)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Jeff

Ha!  Music type has a lot to do with my production. If I need to get a bunch of wood out in a short time, I start looking for cruising music. Springstein, B.T.O, things like that. :)  If I just want to just find a way to get through the day like the last few months, I listen to talk radio to occupy my mind.

RacinRex

Overdrive rules. Nothing makes that right foot heavier when driving the big diesel than a little BTO..

Rock On.

When I'm pushing the mill head through the log... I usually hum to myself in each 1-2 minute pass :-)
Stihl 046
Simplicity Bandmill

Thank You Sponsors!