iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Swing video

Started by CCC4, February 23, 2016, 09:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plankton

I came across a tree today with pretty good stem lean that I needed to roll into a clear pocket. I thought of this discussion and shot a video of the action. Hard to tell in the video but the crown of this one was behind the one in front to the right.

I'm certainly not the epitomy of safety but I prefer to look up and step back as opposed to walking away. Feels safer to me.

Didn't chase it quite right so she peeled a little, but that came off when I trimmed the flare.

https://youtu.be/4gBeJdNkfWc

CCC4

Nice work mang!...all the way around! I can totally appreciate your lead set and it takes a good faller to do planted pine and set lead in rows!

Plankton

Thanks! I appreciate it.

It's actually a clearcut but I'm at a corner of the property line so the trees in front of where Im cutting can't follow that same lead. They have to be cut top towards the camera into the spot where the trees I'm cutting were after there gone if that makes sense haha hard to explain it typing.

Setting lead is still very important in a clearcut I have found to keep things organized and running smoothly, little more room for error though.

CCC4

No I understand, I do that quite often. I was doing "T" post leads the other day...strips straight down and strips straight across the bench below, each skidder would hit in different ground and not be jamming each other up. I took a pic of the lead, it is on my phone, I will try and upload it to my gallery 2moro.

CX3

The only critique I can give is that sometimes they don't go where we want or do what we think with any type cut, and I think the cameraman was in the greater risk department here. When one goes the wrong way it's hard to get out of the way when you're already out in the open.

Other than that I am a master logger, and see no problems with the way ccc4 cuts logs. He knows the consequences.
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

AfraidChocker

I'll add a few things, but not in the way of critique.

The first is based on being a former safety coordinator, and my role was to help change workers habits. Some are good, and some are bad.The revving of the chainsaw for instance; no grief given from my end, I just attribute that to a simple habit. Behaviorists say if you do something consecutively for 21 days, it becomes a habit, so if there is any bad habit a logger truly wants to change, try, try, try doing what is right for a month and it reverses itself.

The other is that I have logged on and off for the last 25 years as well and put a lot of wood on the ground. I went to Maine Certified Logger Course with the attitude that I knew what I was doing. An hour into the week long course based on the Game of Logging principals, and I started paying attention. A friend who has been logging for 40 years said the same thing when he went through the course. I have nowhere near the skills that many of you have, but that course truly helped me get a lot better, a lot faster.
As a sheep farmer, I have no intentions of arriving at the pearly gates in a well preserved body, rather I am going to slide into heaven sideways with my Kubota tractor, kick the manure out of my muck boots, and loudly proclaim, "Whoo Hoo, another Sheppard has just arrived!"

timberlinetree

Nice videos, thanks for posting. On thing we do is cut the sides. It helps with root pull. Not sure if its right or no, but when cutting pulp and logs get criss crossed sometimes or working around bolders we just back cut until it starts to move,leaving wood attached. It helps keep the butt from flinging up and all over the place and is quick. We do this mostly with smaller dbh trees, nothing big. I don't want to go to the barber and sit in the chair. Work safe!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

lumberjack48

Quote from: Plankton on February 25, 2016, 07:34:58 PM
I came across a tree today with pretty good stem lean that I needed to roll into a clear pocket. I thought of this discussion and shot a video of the action. Hard to tell in the video but the crown of this one was behind the one in front to the right.

I'm certainly not the epitomy of safety but I prefer to look up and step back as opposed to walking away. Feels safer to me.

Didn't chase it quite right so she peeled a little, but that came off when I trimmed the flare.

https://youtu.be/4gBeJdNkfWc

I've made this same swing many times a day. But i would never cut on the heavy side of the tree. The way i see it in the video, its a good way to lose a saw.
I would have made the same notch, but i would have been standing on the opposite side of the tree. I would have started my back on the right side, sawing around to the left side waiting for the swing to start, watching--it, watch--it, sawing it off the stump just at the right second to lay it down right where i want it.
Boy thats nice Spruce, i've cut a few nice patches like that, but far and far in between.

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Ed_K

I'm with LJ 48, I bent a bar to almost 90 degs on a cut like that >:( and my x chopper squished a 2171 jons  :o .
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!