iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Advertising a log to be sawn?

Started by Kipper, February 23, 2016, 07:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kipper

Has anyone ever advertised a log to be sawn? The reason I ask is I may have a roughly 26" black walnut about 8ft 6 in long and I am not much of a wood worker but would like to offer it to someone in an effort to have it sawn however they would like. Has anyone ever tackled something like this? I know we can not guarantee how a log will look on the inside but just thought someone would like the option of the boards that come from the log and I would collect my saw fee and it would give me the desired cut list instead of me dreaming up what to saw out of it.
LT40HD, Cat Diesel
New Holland L783
Kubota BX23
Metavic 1400XL
2016 Dodge 3500
2007 Dodge 3500 (Dump)
Belsaw 802 Edger
Too many trailers to count and all Stihl Saws!!

downsouth

I have never done this, but I can't see why not. Just advertise it as "walnut lumber for sale custom cut to order "

Kipper

Thats kinda what I was thinking. I also have some red oak as well I may try the same thing with.
LT40HD, Cat Diesel
New Holland L783
Kubota BX23
Metavic 1400XL
2016 Dodge 3500
2007 Dodge 3500 (Dump)
Belsaw 802 Edger

Magicman

I have given Cherry and Walnut away for the price of sawing.  Cherry & Walnut
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

I tried advertising walnut logs in a local trader. Did not get any takers after several weeks so I sawed it up into slabs. Have sold a few, last this week, and the guy said he'd be back with his buddy.

I'd try it again if the circumstances occurred again. I did not lose anything by it. Just a matter of the right person seeing the ad. If I had a bigger customer base I'd just call targeted folks and check.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Tom the Sawyer

Kipper,

I do it fairly often.  I maintain a small stockpile of various species for just that purpose.  Someone doesn't have enough logs to complete a project, or has a project in mind (mantles are common) but doesn't have a log.  Log prices vary, depending on my acquisition cost, rarity, time on my lot, etc. 

I have a few furniture builders who like wide, thick, live-edged, or uncommon species.  If I get a log that is a good fit for them I call them up.  They take the entire log, milled to their specifications.  Priced at a certain price per actual board foot of yield, plus milling fee (and sales tax in Kansas). 
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

WDH

Kipper,

Can you post a pic of the log?  I am interested  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on February 23, 2016, 08:36:14 PM
Kipper,

Can you post a pic of the log?  I am interested  :).

Me 2...I'm closer.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ncsawyer

;D  Throwing walnuts can be dangerous!
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

Kipper

I will post pics when/if I pick them up (remember I said "I may have"). I bought some Red Oak logs from the guy and he showed me the two standing Walnuts and asked what I would give him for them as they may be coming down. I told him a number but that would be dependent on what the ends looked like when they come down. He's supposed to get back to me.
LT40HD, Cat Diesel
New Holland L783
Kubota BX23
Metavic 1400XL
2016 Dodge 3500
2007 Dodge 3500 (Dump)
Belsaw 802 Edger

red

If it is still growing then they are worth more $ $ $
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Chuck White

Quote from: Magicman on February 23, 2016, 07:24:58 PM
I have given Cherry and Walnut away for the price of sawing.  Cherry & Walnut

I have 4 small 10-14" Butternut logs I called a customer about and he said "I'll take all you got", so that deal is done, as soon as it warms up.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

justallan1

I've never advertised for it, but people have seen pics of standing trees that I plan to cut and offer to buy the entire log with no sawing involved and have it shipped.
I mainly saw box elder burls and most of the rest of the tree generally has little to no sellable value because of the heart rot, therefore I decline rather than have someone griping later.
Now if someone wants an entire cedar, pine or russian olive log that's sitting in the yard, I'd do that and let them be the helper if they wanted ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

Thank You Sponsors!