iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wall flowers plus matching light fixture

Started by 21incher, February 23, 2016, 06:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

My wife told me that I never give her flowers anymore, so I fixed the problem for once and all. I made a couple of wall hanging flowers that will last forever.

They are made from Walnut, Spalted Maple, Oak. Cherry, Ash, and plywood. It was a fun little CNC project.
I also have a long boring video if anyone is interested
https://youtu.be/DOqoFvv8DdU
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Jeff

Those are blooming awesome!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Magicman

:o  I agree with Jeff's description.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Larry

I knew the flowers would be popping up any day now. :)  That's some great work. 8) 8)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

21incher

Thanks everyone. It was one of those projects that started out as a 3 hour project that I managed to strech into a 3 day ordeal. At least the wife likes it. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

thecfarm

I may not as count as much as your wife does,but those looks good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

gspren

I made the mistake of showing this to my wife who asked if I could make the same for her,  :D , sure no problem all I'm missing is the wood, equipment, skill, and talent, other than that it'd already be done.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

21incher

Quote from: thecfarm on February 23, 2016, 09:01:20 PM
I may not as count as much as your wife does,but those looks good.

The way I see it we are all family on here and your opinion counts just as much as anyone else in my family.Thanks

Quote from: gspren on February 23, 2016, 10:28:49 PM
  I made the mistake of showing this to my wife who asked if I could make the same for her,  :D , sure no problem all I'm missing is the wood, equipment, skill, and talent, other than that it'd already be done.

It may be a good time to start.  I am sure she would love and cherish the final outcome. I bet there is alot of skill and talent inside you waiting to bloom. :)

Kbeitz

I would love to know more about that CNC machine.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

21incher

Quote from: Kbeitz on February 24, 2016, 09:47:48 AM
I would love to know more about that CNC machine.
Kbeitz on my youtube channel there are several videos of building it. It was made from some old surplus parts and servo motors that I had laying around. I had to buy 2 gecko servo drives for the x & y motors. I got cheep with the z and used one of those $40 steeper drives from china and a stepper motor that work really good. It uses T10 belt drives  and ball bearing guides that I am surprised have held up so far. I have 256 CPR encoders so it will only hold about a .005" tolerance. Some day I will invest some money to build a bigger table and this will be turned into a 3d printer , but this one lets me get a tasts of mixing CNC and woodworking with very little investment. I think it is something you would have fun building with all the good surplus parts that you find and the mechanical knowledge you have. :) .

Don_Papenburg

Make them in the machine shop not the wood shop and pretend you are doing soft metal.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

OffGrid973

So if someone wanted to pull this off with a decent floor mounted scrollsaw are we talking 20 hrs of cutting?

I love em, just trying to figure out what the supersize version would look like for a nice 2ft piece of wall art.  Anyone made these in large sizes?  Does it still keep the same feel visually?
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

SwampDonkey

Wow, those are treasures for sure.  8) Looks like you've filled the wife's wishes.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

21incher

Quote from: cwimer973 on February 26, 2016, 01:15:57 PM
So if someone wanted to pull this off with a decent floor mounted scrollsaw are we talking 20 hrs of cutting?

I love em, just trying to figure out what the supersize version would look like for a nice 2ft piece of wall art.  Anyone made these in large sizes?  Does it still keep the same feel visually?

I think it would turn out fine. You could add some great detail at that size. I grew a 20" diameter sunflower and the stem was 12 feet tall so you may need a tall wall to hang it on. My wife wants a larger one like that outside by the garden now and I plan to make that one from painted plasma cut steel and steel pipe for the stem so we can use it for pole beans to grow up.

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 26, 2016, 02:42:07 PM
Wow, those are treasures for sure.  8) Looks like you've filled the wife's wishes.  ;D

Thanks. Little things mean alot to my wife. :)

21incher

I made some of the flowers twice the size of the original ones to dress up a light fixture and they still looked good so up scaling the size is pretty easy.

This is a boring video about how the fixture was made.
https://youtu.be/YfSz67WsoiU  :)

Thank You Sponsors!