iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question on reforesting with Shortleaf pine

Started by RPowers, February 23, 2016, 09:00:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RPowers

I now have about 114 acres in Madison Co in NW Arkansas. The topsoil is a very sandy loam with some underlying clay and then sandstone base in most areas. This property is mostly mixed hardwoods that were heavily logged 20-25 years ago, with no concern for quality regeneration. The drought a couple years ago and the borers are taking a toll on the oaks, particularly the red and black oak which are dominant, on the south and west facing slopes. I have noticed in this region, particularly the Nat'l Forest areas, that these slopes are predominately covered in nice stands of Shortleaf pine, when that species is in the area. I have a very small group (10-12) of shortleaf on one of these west slopes, and have decided that I'd like to add pine plantings to these drier hillsides. I would prefer Shortleaf if possible as it is the native pine in these mountains and handles the soil types well.

My idea is to clearcut the oaks on these areas with the exception of small clusters of WO for wildlife feed, and then plant pine on a 12x12 or similar spacing so that I could mow/spray  with a tractor between rows.

Would this be a good plan to ensure a good forest type on these areas since most of the hardwoods are not doing well there. Would the pine give better growth rates overall? Are there any other pines that should be thrown into the mix that would also give good habitat and timber potential over the long run?

I plan on focusing on hardwood plantings and regeneration/stand improvement on the north and east slopes and better sites, with the rocky ridges going to native grass pastureage. The pine plantings would just be the portions facing south and west.

Thanks, Ryan
2013 Woodmizer LT28G25 (sold 2016)
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

Texas Ranger

Seems nature has told you, go with the short leaf, slow growing in your neck of the woods, but worth it.  Hard to advise when not looking at the stand.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Banjo picker

Wouldn't a 12 x 12 grid mean lots of limbs on your best logs?  I planted a few on a similar grid an that's what i ended up with, but it was a different pine.  Just asking.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Thank You Sponsors!