iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT 30 problems

Started by Forester Bob, February 22, 2016, 08:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forester Bob

I am new to sawmilling and have purchased an old (1984) WM LT30. This machine has been around the world, and my intentions are to restore it back to operating condition.  I have the motor running good and have started working on the carriage.  I can get the carriage to raise and lower, but the power feed will not work.  I took the motor off and had it checked and it is ok.  I still can not get the carriage to move. Any suggestions.  I called WM and they told me it may be a ground issue so I cleaned the rails real well. Still no luck.   I fully intend to (once I get this problem fixed) to take the Mill to WM and have them go thru it.  I just wanted to get the basic stuff done to cut down on the cost a little.  Thanks

WV Sawmiller

FBob,

Where are you located? Please update your profile. How far are you from the nearest WM agent? Unless close to them when talking to WM check to see if they are doing a service route in your area. If they are and not too long to wait they might be able to take care of most of your issues then.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

ncsawyer

Can you move the carriage easily by hand? 

Will the motor turn when hooked straight to the battery?
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

Remle

First off do you have the manuals for your mill ? If not call WM and get a set, you will need them now and in the future. Next, can you manually push the carriage along the rail ? As to the carriage their are two electrical components, the carriage forward / reverse and the carriage feed rate pod, unplug the motor and use a test light to connect the wires, operating the controls you should see the light as you operate the controls . One of these test should point you in the direction of the problem.

pineywoods

If the head won't move either fwd or back, take the ground lead off the battery and open up the control head.  MICE...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

drobertson

Quote from: ncsawyer on February 22, 2016, 09:22:42 PM
Can you move the carriage easily by hand? 

Will the motor turn when hooked straight to the battery?
Kinda what I was thinking for starters, but if the check came back good, then voltage is not getting there, no matter where you are,, so can you move it by hand?  If so, then some panels have to come off, and voltage needs to be tracked down,, piney has a good idea, but at some point you will need voltage to pinpoint where the drop is,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!