iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking to buy a Bandmill

Started by Gitrdone64, February 22, 2016, 05:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gitrdone64

Well the bug has hit. I pushed off buying one last year. I have built cabinets for many years then quite. Got back into cabinet making again and also want to mill my own lumber, then dry it.
8)Go ahead and flame me if you want I do not want the Wood-mizer LT 10 or LT 15 due to walking in the saw dust it throws at your feet. Should have to add something to a machine that cost that much to not walk in a path of saw dust.
I don't see very much on here about a Hud-son. I test one this weekend from a dealer. It cut great until we cut through over 8 nails and the blade was already used it was his demo saw. The saw was the Oscar 236 with the 23hp motor. The blade was toasted after the nails waves and just darn near wouldn't cut. what was funny is he was out of blades 1 guy came in and bought all he had Friday. I was very surprised Houston Texas had a sawmill dealer at all. He was a very nice person.

Ok so here is my deal on saws.
1. I have looked at the Woodlands mill HM126 and the are coming out with a HM130 in mid to late April 2016 V twin motor with 4 post design. Price is good but wait sucks.
2. Hud-son Oscar 236 *DanG you buy 15 pack of blades, saw and then add shipping which it is local or 1 hour drive. It's price tag is $8800 and some change no trailer or ramps only saw and base.
3. Cooks saw MP-32 with 23.5hp, package deal trailer, ramps, spare, cant pole, 10 package of cooks blades. $8800 and some change only a 20 hour round trip.
4. Norwood LM29 $5200 plus shipping

I am leaning toward the Cooks very much. What are y'all's thoughts? Please speak your mind I got thick hide. :laugh:
I'd rather be a has been then a never been!
Hud-son Oscar 236 Pro

Magicman

Quote from: Gitrdone64 on February 22, 2016, 05:21:20 PMGo ahead and flame me if you want
That does not happen here on the Forestry Forum. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

From your post, I'd suggest waiting for the Woodland HM126 as it seems at this moment that it is what you want. In the interim, go to some mills and see them operate to confirm your decision.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

vt k-9

Yes I would go with the cooks. They are a great company to deal with. The mill is very well built and will last a long time.

Upper

I chose to walk in sawdust.....................Upper
Stihl 661
Alaskan 36 CSM
36" guillotine splitter powered by a GMC V6
I like to build stuff
LT35HD Wood-Mizer

hacknchop

Good to get a mill that meets your current needs as well as allowing you to grow a little before you are faced with the cost of an upgrade.I purchased Hudson Oscar 30 12 yrs ago still cuts good lumber and welcome to forum.
Often wrong never indoubt

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Gitrdone64.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bkaimwood

Welcome giterdone64...aside from me being partial, I would not discount a mill based upon where the sawdust lands, but understand your view...truth is, the only time it gets in your way, and is an interference, is when you don't clean up after yourself soon enough. Plus, it makes it more convenient to spread it out as a nice carpet to walk on while your sawing, 'specially on rough terrain :). With that being said, off your list, I'd buy the cooks...great rep., support, track record, experience...
bk

Gitrdone64

Thanks for the welcome.
Got off phone with Cooks. They have a 3.5 months wait for a saw darn it.
The Woodland is a HM130 and they will not have any until maybe mid April at the earliest.
I demo'ed a Oscar 236 and liked it and he has one in stock. Was looking at the Cooks for getting a little more bang for my money. I really don't want to wait 2 to 3 plus months for a saw.
Really thinking of the Oscar 236 with the 23 hp motor it sawed really good.
Everyones thoughts on the Hud-son's Oscar 236 please advise.
Hud-son Oscar 236 Pro

bkaimwood

I've looked at their mills, and the saying, u get what you pay for is true...and NOT at the same time!!! The construction is no doubt, lighter than other ones mentioned... But they still make good lumber and seem to be reliable... So maybe you just have to be a little more "respectful" using one...sorry for the lack of better words there..I would be less inclined to abuse one, lets put it that way...I wouldn't be scared to buy one...
bk

Dave Shepard

You don't have to walk in sawdust if you flip the chute up. :) Welcome to the Forum!

https://youtu.be/TlMTxUwF-YY
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

never finished

I've had an Oscar 36 for years. still feel like I got my moneys worth. They are great people to help over the phone with problems. The truth is no one can build a perfect  hobby mill and keep the price at a hobby mill. With that being said I have never been afraid to modify. 

kelLOGg

I recommend very much looking at many mills in use. I did not know what to look for in a first mill but I could recognize sturdy well made machines. As I looked at mills in operation I rested my foot on the frame; some had marked vibration but the Cooks had virtually none. That got my attention and I ended up buying it 13 years ago. I have been very satisfied with it. It is quite rugged. Good luck in whatever you choose.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

thecfarm

I have a sawmill that I have to walk in the sawmill. I never move mine so it's easier for me to keep that side of the mill clean. The non sawdust side I have a log bed to roll my logs onto the mill. Would be a bother to keep it clean.
I have no idea about upcoming shows in your area.WM is having one here April 16. Some fairs have mills. You will like having a mill.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

plowboyswr

Have you taken a look at the Ez boardwalk or timber king? Both are sponsors with links on the left.
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

Gitrdone64

Yes I looked at an Easy Boardwalk. I was thinking if I didn't buy the local Hud-Son I would drive to Cooks and pick one up. I have looked and several saws. Wish I could buy just the mill and build my own track and trailer. I am an old steel fitter and thought of putting everything I liked into one trailer.

I am up against a time line. My daughter and future son-in-law have been given some very old pecan trees the fell over this last year. The trees have been in the family for many years and it would be cool for all their cabinets to be made from them. I have gone and seen the trees and they are very nice. They want their house finished and ready for their wedding day in October this year. So cutting and drying is the main issue. Waiting on th saw will put me behind the 8 ball if you know what I mean.
Hud-son Oscar 236 Pro

Jeff

Oh boy. I hope you have some sawing time well before you start in on pecan. That will be a very steep learning curve for a new sawyer on any mill.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Gitrdone64

Yes I have a butt load of pine, cedar, and some hatch berry.
Hud-son Oscar 236 Pro

kelLOGg

Quote from: Gitrdone64 on February 22, 2016, 09:28:48 PM
Wish I could buy just the mill and build my own track and trailer. I am an old steel fitter and thought of putting everything I liked into one trailer.
I am up against a time line.

Rather than push yourself into a tight schedule what about getting a sawyer to saw the pecan ASAP and find a kiln to start the drying process?

Have you asked any of the sponsors if they will sell you just the sawhead? You can build the carriage while the lumber is being sawn and dried. I know you want to do it yourself but the time crunch is tight.

Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Why not hire an experienced sawyer to saw up the pecan now if you can't get the mill you want immediately. You could help out and learn on the job... And in the meantime your pecan could be drying so you can finish the cabinets by your deadline.

Herb

Looks like Kellogg and I had the same thoughts...

vfauto

The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result!

4x4American

Dave, that wireless is real cool.  I can see staying out of the offbearers way a big plus with it...or sitting inside a warm pickup sawing wood lol even though it seems wrong
Boy, back in my day..

Gitrdone64

Yes I have thought of hiring one.
Hud-son Oscar 236 Pro

red

So from all the sawmills mentioned. Walking in sawdust is still an issue ?  I know some guys use a 5 gallon bucket to hold sawdust .  A mill this size is not producing major amounts of sawdust.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Deese

Welcome to the forum... Gitrdone!!!  8)
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

opticsguy

Not sure if the mills you are looking at are manual.
I am super happy with my Timberking 1220, a manual mill and can highly recommend.
I purchased one bed extension at time of purchase and this has really paid off both in convenience in placing a log on the mill (lots of extra room) and also I can cut 20' 5" if i am pushing the limits of placement, 20' is easy. Also figured out if I readjusted the drive cable and eye bolts I could probably get 2-3" more.
The only problem with the Timberking are my mistakes......... also almost all Timberking models are in stock for delivery.
So my recommendation, connect up with owners of the various mills and help work for a few hours on each one and you can make a better decision.

(PS, I have no connection with the Timber company.)
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

Kbeitz

If the mill was moved around I dont see where the saw dust would be a problem.
But if the mill was fix to one spot then it would be a real pain.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

dgdrls

Welcome to the Forum,

great group with lots of knowledge.
l sent you a P.M.

best
Dan

Gitrdone64

They only dealer in my area is Hud-Son, haven't found anybody in my area with sawmills unless they are 3 hours our better away. Our maybe I am not looking in the correct location.
Was really looking at a NorWood they had a deal going on in Belton, Texas last weekend. There website  said buy a mill and shipping only $175 or get 10% off demo. So I called them up guess what both demo saws sold before they left NorWoods plant. Then I asked okay I'll take a LM29 or HD36 could they put it on the truck for the cheap shipping. I called a week before the show they said the truck had already been on location for 2 weeks. >:( Website was misleading.

Not a hole lot of places to pick from down here in South Texas.

When I contacted the dealer in my area he said come out and we will make the day of it. Told me to pick out a pecan log to cut. Picked one out loaded on the mill and sawed away. He offered customer service you just don't see anymore. He said he would bring it to me and help put tracks together and set it up for free. 8) He also stocked the normal spare parts that wear over time too. Here is the real kick in the pants he said if i got logs to big for saw I was looking at to bring them by and he would let me saw them on his 60" for free. Ether he is blowing a lot of smoke or is a heck of a guy. He was closed Saturday and opened up his store to show off the saw's he had in stock and spent over a half a day with me showing everything he could about his product.

Someone speak up about why nobody speaks of Hud-Son. What are the issues with the company or why nobody speaks of them.
Hud-son Oscar 236 Pro

Jeff

Quote from: Gitrdone64 on February 23, 2016, 05:02:10 PM
Someone speak up about why nobody speaks of Hud-Son. What are the issues with the company or why nobody speaks of them.

That's not true at all. The Forestry Forum has many satisfied Hudson owners. I'd suggest you do some searching and reading.

Verticaltrx

I previously owned a Hudson mill and traded up to my Woodmizer LT15. Here's my thoughts on Hudson:

They are fine lower priced hobby mill for limited use. It will not be as easy to operate, adjust, or maintain as the more expensive mills. For example to change the blade on my Hudson took a couple different size wrenches and about 10min. On my Woodmizer it takes no tools and only about 1min. Same with blade tension, Hudson takes a wrench and several turns of a bolt, the WM you just flip a lever. During sawing the height lifting winch, scale and clamps were more finicky on the Hudson vs the WM. It was harder to get consistent board thickness on the Hudson due to the winch lifting mechanism. You can tell a whole lot more R&D has gone into the Woodmizer mills. That being said the Hudson was a fine mill for the price and did cut good lumber when adjusted properly. The Hudsons are good mills for a homestead or small farm to produce a little lumber for your own use. I might buy one again if that were my only need, but if you are going to be using it a lot you will really appreciate some of the slightly higher priced mills.

I too was worried about the sawdust on the WM mills before I got mine, I can now tell you that it is totally a non-issue. I honestly have no more sawdust on me at the end of the day vs the Hudson and I have something soft to walk on. The reason WM puts the operator on that side is so you don't have to step over your loading ramps or log deck when operating the mill. You really should at least demo an LT15 before discounting them. Norwood also makes I good mill, I looked seriously at those as well.

Wood-Mizer LT15G19

Gitrdone64

Quote from: Jeff on February 23, 2016, 05:09:51 PM

That's not true at all. The Forestry Forum has many satisfied Hudson owners. I'd suggest you do some searching and reading.

I did do a search on FF a lot of reading is not very freshly dated. As some said on here it's a Ford vs Chevy thing.
WM saw is a nice saw, I prefer not walk over spent saw dust.
TK saw is nice nobody in my area to close to me to see one in person.
EZ Board saw same as TK saw
Norwood nice saw but don't care for the plastic guards.
Cooks are really nice 3.5 month wait min time frame and nobody in area to go see one.
Woodland looks to be a nice saw, want one a little bigger.
Hud-son local dealer got to put my hands on it and run it.

I do a lot of reading and searching on the net before I ever buy anything. Just looking for current reviews of products. The saws I have been pricing are same sized and with pretty much standard equipment it comes with for each one. The cost is with in a few hundred of each other, but the WM saw is the highest with the Cooks being the cheapest.
Hud-son Oscar 236 Pro

Dave Shepard

Where does the sawdust go on the other mills? Does it blow on the log deck? That will be harder to clean up. On any mill, you should be able to position a chute to direct the sawdust out of your walking path. Regardless of brand or discharge direction, the sawmill area will become covered in sawdust and bark anyway. I think the most important considerations are things like cost, capacity, dealer proximity, etc.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

justallan1

My first mill was a Hudson HFE-21 and worked just fine for that size mill. Everything worked fine and other than talking funny the folks at the plant were more than willing to help the couple times that we talked. The only reason I sold it was to get a bigger mill.
I now have an EZ Boardwalk Jr and love it. Stanton is a great guy to work with. There were some mix-ups in ordering and he willingly took the loss. PLUS, he let me order mine without tracks at a darned good break on price. The Boardwalk mills throw the sawdust on the same side as the operator, but generally shoots it further than where you walk. Ideally you load logs on this side on this mill, so about 2 swipes with a snow shovel and your working again.
Just my opinion here, but on a manual mill if your making more sawdust than you can move in a few minutes for a days sawing, you are going to be one busy individual. That would take quite a few logs.
I certainly agree on having some sawdust to walk on though, within reason :D

EDIT: Everything on my mill that can go bad I can buy at any parts house locally. If anything on it that I can't get locally breaks, that means I wasn't doing my maintenance and walk-around.

red

Sawmill and Woodlot Magazine has reviewed many sawmills and also runs the sawmill shootout .  There are many sawmill builders you have not mentioned. Big and small , like Baker .  Hands on is good but saying one sawmill is Better is someones Opinion. This is not the first or last time this topic will come up . Not our first Rodeo

Kbeitz

My mill is home made and may not be of interest on this discussion but my saw dust gets shot out the back side
about 15-20 feet away from the mill. I dont think I would want it blowing out the front. A little wind and it would
be in your face.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Jeff

The wind doesn't change directions where you come from? headscratch

Quote from: Gitrdone64 on February 24, 2016, 08:16:42 AM
I did do a search on FF a lot of reading is not very freshly dated.

It is all still relevant in regards to sawmill function.

Kbeitz

We get the wind. But I can stand between the carriage and the opposite side that the dust is coming from
if it blows my way. That would be hard to do if it was coming out the front.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Deese

I would think more important factors such as price, quality, customer service, etc would be the most significant variables to consider when buying a new sawmill.
But worrying about the direction of expelled sawdust? Really? I must be missing something  headscratch headscratch headscratch headscratch headscratch

I own an EZ Boardwalk Jr. It is one stout, well made machine. I ordered some parts from Stanton on Monday. He said he was putting the parts in the mail that day. He knew I was in a hurry and said the invoice would be in the box and just mail him a check whenever I get the parts. WOW. Talking about excellent customer service.  smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

rwepinetree

I would look into Timberking also they have a good rep
in the market

Jeff

Quote from: Kbeitz on February 24, 2016, 09:52:57 AM
We get the wind. But I can stand between the carriage and the opposite side that the dust is coming from

I can tell you haven't done a lot of milling in any wind yet or you would know that saw dust swirls and comes at you from any direction it wants to irregardless of what you put between you and it.

Gitrdone64

Quote from: Jeff on February 24, 2016, 11:06:31 AM
Quote from: Kbeitz on February 24, 2016, 09:52:57 AM

I can tell you haven't done a lot of milling in any wind yet or you would know that saw dust swirls and comes at you from any direction it wants to irregardless of what you put between you and it.

You are correct Jeff I have not done much saw milling. I have done a lot wood planing, resawing, joining, sanding, molder, router work. Chain saw cutting as well.

Maybe I just think different, Why can't you load logs from the same side your dust exits the mill and have a free walking space to run the mill from the other side.
Yes it's easy to clean away the dust if you don't wish to walk in it.
Jeff, yes dust blows everywhere. I have seen some guy's putting a dust sock on the mill to try and help reduce dust. You can't stop all of it.
Hud-son Oscar 236 Pro

47sawdust

Why can't you load logs from the same side your dust exits the mill and have a free walking space to run the mill from the other side.

My Kasco mill was like that.The sawdust covered all the logs on the log deck.If you're going to have a mill your going to have sawdust.I went over to the Orange side and you have to saw a lot and have poor housekeeping habits before walking in it is a real issue.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Downstream

The 4-post frame on my EZ Boardwalk Jr allows me to hold on left side(actual handle) middle or right side of frame since it is rigid.  This allows me to walk pretty much any way I want.  that being said I primarily walk on the left where sawdust comes out, but have done the other sides periodically.  The belt engagement level and safety stop to prevent me sawing off log stop are both on left so would be little more difficult, but not unreasonable.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

justallan1

Where I live in Montana the wind is generally going west to east, so if I shoot my sawdust towards the east and without a dustboot I'm pretty much good to go for the most part.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the dust boots to keep it in a nice windrow rather than blowing all across the yard? Heck, take that puppy off and let it blow.
I only saw a few trees at most at one time and I don't peel the bark, so the little sawdust I have is plenty welcome. I don't have to walk in mud, my logs aren't picking up mud and it's a great spot to run the metal detector over the logs without fear of getting a false reading. Plus I'm far to lazy to step over bunks.
Keep asking questions though, you'll figure out what you want.

Nomad

Both the bandmills I've owned blew the sawdust to the left.  One was operated from the right side, one from the left side.  When I was sawing from the right, I was tripping over the loading ramps and logs unless I removed the ramps.  On the left side I was walking in sawdust.  As said above, removing excess sawdust only takes a minute and is much more comfortable than walking on some surfaces.
     Jeff is right about where sawdust blows.  It goes where it Dang well wants, and it usually wants to be blowing in your face!  Wind direction seems to only count on paper, not in reality.
     If the wind really does give you a break, flip the chute up (if your mill's built to do that) and let it fly.  You'd cut for days before it built up enough to bother you.
     I personally wouldn't want the sawdust being blow all over the logs waiting to be loaded next.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Verticaltrx

Honestly only you can make the decision which will be the best for your situation, and reading on the web is only a small part of that. You have to realize most people like the mill they have (myself included) and therefore praise it, but it may not be what you like. You've tried the Hudson and liked it, now go try a few others hands on. Most manufactures have a list of other mill owners in your area with mills they will demo for you or when they will be at shows in your area. Not trying to steer you in any one direction, but you'll be doing a disservice to yourself to not look at/try all your options.
Wood-Mizer LT15G19

sandsawmill14

i have had a hudson oscar 228 that i have had for years i sawed rr ties with it for a while as my only income they are a good company with a good mill :) they are lighter built than some of the others but that was one of the selling points for me. the track is in 6' sections and 2 men can load entire mill in the bed of a pickup by hand :) i ended up putting a trailer under it later on  hudson is as good or entry level mill as any IMO :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Delawhere Jack

Getting covered in (and inhaling a good dose) of sawdust is half the fun.  :)

Get the best built mill that fits your budget without breaking the bank. Sawdust will be there no matter which side it comes out of. The more I get out of my pockets after a job, the better the job was.

hacknchop

I have been sawing for more than  30yrs and some of the older circle mills kept you busy shovelling sawdust worst for it was the mobile dimension that i made a living with for 20 of those yrs (5/16 kerf) i would set my deck up about 30" off the ground and could fill that space up after about 3days anyway my hudson puts sawdust  on log deck side little shovelling  and your good to go if thats the biggest issue you run into when milling then i for one think your doing good.
As far as mills go their usually only as good and as reliable as their operators.  :) :) :)

Kbeitz

I guess I did something right when I built my mill.
I just have very little problems with the saw dust.
It just get blowed over the bank. The winds gotta
really be blowing hard for me to get ant dust in my face.
If you look in the pictures you wont see any sawdust
on my walking side.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

280 rem

Kbeitz, looks like the dawg don't mind sawdust in the face!  ;D
Judging the background in your pic, looks like your topography offers some shelter form the wind as well.
We saw walnut lumber for the same reason Willie Sutton said he robbed banks, "because that's where the money is"

Select 4221E, baker edger, cat 908 loader, Jd 548E, timberjack 230d, hood 7000 loader.

Jeff

Quote from: Kbeitz on April 12, 2015, 01:10:24 PM
Hello everyone...
This is my second post and I need a lot of learning.......

......Sorry to ask dumb questions but this is all new to me...

Ya know what? This was less than a year ago. You always seem to need lately to prove something to everyone that has been doing this sometimes for decades. from sharpening blades to how sawdust flies. I find that, well, I'll not say how I find it. Its just time for me to say how I feel about that. Your input is welcome, but when it comes to saws and sawing, you have many many very experienced peers here that know what they are talking about.  Sawing hundreds of board feet is a bit different than millions.

Kbeitz

The old lab loves to lay in the dust.
It will sometime almost cover him up before he gets up and moves.
This is you corner of the world. And I respect that.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Quote from: Jeff on February 24, 2016, 10:56:24 PM
Quote from: Kbeitz on April 12, 2015, 01:10:24 PM
Hello everyone...
This is my second post and I need a lot of learning.......

......Sorry to ask dumb questions but this is all new to me...

Ya know what? This was less than a year ago. You always seem to need lately to prove something to everyone that has been doing this sometimes for decades. from sharpening blades to how sawdust flies. I find that, well, I'll not say how I find it. Its just time for me to say how I feel about that. Your input is welcome, but when it comes to saws and sawing, you have many many very experienced peers here that know what they are talking about.  Sawing hundreds of board feet is a bit different than millions.

Yep.. I'm sure your right... If you don't want or like my opinion I'll but out.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Jeff

I told you your input was welcome, I'd just suggest not doing it in a way where you seem to be trying to prove others wrong because you THINK you are correct when its simply because you just haven't had time to understand most of us have been there and done that.

As to the Lab, Someday he may get severely injured walking there. I'm guessing you have not experienced a bandsaw blade breaking and flying off in the direction of the expelled sawdust. I'd never let my dog or kids or anyone be in that position. Its absolutely dangerous.

Kbeitz

I dont want to prove any one wrong. But I do want to learn.
Sorry if I come on to strong. Guess I just see things different.
I'l try to keep the dog out of the line of fire.
Jeff you got a fine thing going on here so just put me in my place when I step out.
Thanks again.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Bruno of NH

My mill saw dust exits opposite the side you walk on .
The wind swirls at my place a lot and i can get covered in saw dust .
In the spring and summer the wind keeps the bugs down  :)
One of my friends calls me the fat and dirty carpenter because i'm always dirtier than the others that work with me . :D
My friend i call him coco butter because he's always clean as a whistle .  :D
I clean the saw dust off the lumber coming off the mill on the side i walk on , you will get saw dust on you .
Just my 2 cents a fat and dirty carpenter :D :D
The fit and finish on a woodmizer mill are top shelf .
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Gitrdone64

Boy I like this site. Thanks everyone with the welcome to this site and the inputs so far. I didn't mean to stir up some dust skeeters.
I know I have a ton to learn to be a good miller.
Hud-son Oscar 236 Pro

Gitrdone64

Quote from: Bruno of NH on February 25, 2016, 08:29:50 AM
One of my friends calls me the fat and dirty carpenter because i'm always dirtier than the others that work with me . :D
I clean the saw dust off the lumber coming off the mill on the side i walk on , you will get saw dust on you .
Bruno

I ain't scared to get dirty, I have bad ankles from back in my rodeo days. I can trip on a blade of grass. It's more on a safety thing to me. Oh and I do wear high top lace up boots.
Hud-son Oscar 236 Pro

Bruno of NH

Quote from: Gitrdone64 on February 25, 2016, 08:43:42 AM
Bruno

I ain't scared to get dirty, I have bad ankles from back in my rodeo days. I can trip on a blade of grass. It's more on a safety thing to me. Oh and I do wear high top lace up boots.
I need a double knee replacement and have arthritis bad  >:(
I need too get up 2 hours before work so i can get moving around :D
My point is i know what your going through a flea can trip me up :D
But a WM mill has a lot of helpful features that make sawing more productive.
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

red

I bought a Race Car once . It did not make me a Race Car Driver. Just a guy that owned a race car. Sawmills owner does not make you a Sawyer

hacknchop

There is some truth to what Red is saying and I do agree except that from experience I can say that some mills make the learning to saw quality lumber easier and this in my opinion is good but I do not think it good to suggest that one mill makes better lumber than another, maybe more lumber but for me buying a Hudson was within my budget and the easy set up helped I think we need to be possitive and encourage each other to do the best we can with what we have and be safe. :)

outpost22

Quote from: Bruno of NH on February 25, 2016, 09:05:09 AM
Quote from: Gitrdone64 on February 25, 2016, 08:43:42 AM
Bruno

I need a double knee replacement and have arthritis bad  >:(
I need too get up 2 hours before work so i can get moving around :D
My point is i know what your going through a flea can trip me up :D
But a WM mill has a lot of helpful features that make sawing more productive.
Bruno

I'm thinking maybe we need a "medical" thread?
:) :D :D :D
Creating one more project one at a time.
Burg Bandsaw Mill
Stihl 010
Stihl 210
Stihl 251
Stihl 461
Husky 350
Kubota L3800

Jeff

Quote from: outpost22 on February 25, 2016, 10:54:43 AM
I'm thinking maybe we need a "medical" thread?
:) :D :D :D

I'm thinking you need to browse the forum outside of the sawmill board some. ;)   We not only have a health and safety board, one of your forum admins is an orthopedic trauma surgeon.

Alligator

I don't have much input on brands of mills.
Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

Gitrdone64

Sorry if y'all think I am weak.
Like I said earlier in the thread I look at things a little different then some of y'all. My main income for most of my adult life has been in chemical plants and it still is. I look at safety a lot different then may be some do. The dust flying all over everywhere isn't the problem, why design a piece of equipment that exhaust by-product out in front of you and into your walking area. Just to be able to have a walking path not having log ramps in your way. I your running a manual mill then what the heck is the hurry, or put your log loading ramps on the same side as the dust exhaust. To me you do a lot more walking up and down the mill and handling cut boards them placing a log onto the cutting deck.

If its a hydro mill then it wouldn't really matter because now your really into production and most likely have more then just your self working around the mill and mostly likely have other equipment to handle logs and cut material.

I may be completely wrong but its safety first and lay out and design.

I am not taking anything away from anybody's saw just speaking from my point of view. The saw is only as good as the operator behind the wheel.
Hud-son Oscar 236 Pro

Dave Shepard

I'm just speaking from experience here, so take that for what it's worth. The WM mills that u have fun blue the sawdust far enough away that you don't have to walk in it. As you can see in my video, it will blow about 25' with the deflector up. If you don't clean up for days then it might encroach on your walking path, but housekeeping is important around a mill. A quick walk through with a scoop shovel, and the dust will never get in your way. I think that without having actual experience, you are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

justallan1

Gitrdone64, I'd say take a real good look at a mess of different videos, invest the time and miles and visit any and all mills that you can and then you will possibly know what will work for you.
I was walking out to get the mail last night and went by my mill. I kicked the sawdust and there wasn't 2 inches there and probably an inch next to the mill. That was about 8-10 hrs (2 days) sawing cedar and russian olive with 2 helpers that brought the logs, plus another 5-6 hours of sawing burls by myself. There really isn't that much sawdust getting made on a manual mill.
Have you looked at the Norwood LM-29? It's what I would have got if I didn't get the EZ Boardwalk Jr. It's configured like you want, saws a 29" log, has a 13 HP Honda engine I believe and goes for about 5 grand.
What ever you do keep your chin up, folks are just trying to share what works for them.

thecfarm

As I said I walk in my sawdust. Not a big deal. I will have to take note about it blowing up by my face next time I run it. Never noticed that before. My log deck is out of the way, take my boards off the sawdust side,plenty of room on that side of the mill,log deck side would be harder in my eyes. I park the tractor on the sawdust side and load lumber on the loader arms and than go build.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

woodcat47

When I build the deck support runners [4x8 beams for the mill bed to sit on], I will have a natural area for the sawdust to go on the ground under the log ramp I am also building. Since I will be moving logs from a trailer to the mill directly [no tractor yet], I'll be rolling them over the area on 4x6 runners that can swing up and out of the way for cleaning. From the vids I watched there's not a ton of dust from the Woodland Mills saw.

So have you decided yet?
Owner Kelly Hanna Woodworks and soon....Texas Red's Sawmill
Deck Builder serving Dallas and East Texas since 1977

Gitrdone64

Congratulations on the HM126.

Yes I picked up mine yesterday. 8) I bought the Hud-son Oscar 236 Pro with the 23hp motor. Prolly will not cut the first log on it until the trailer is built. Been modifing the drawings that Woodland Mills has on their website.

I have found all kind of cool mods on this website and a ton on youtube.
Hud-son Oscar 236 Pro

Robert Owens

I have the MP-32 from Cooks and looked at four different companies before buying the Cooks. It is a very well built and sturdy mill. Talk to Billy at Cooks, a great guy to work with when ordering your mill and customizing it the way you want.

paul case

Quote from: Gitrdone64 on February 24, 2016, 08:16:42 AM
Quote from: Jeff on February 23, 2016, 05:09:51 PM

I did do a search on FF a lot of reading is not very freshly dated. As some said on here it's a Ford vs Chevy thing.
WM saw is a nice saw, I prefer not walk over spent saw dust.
TK saw is nice nobody in my area to close to me to see one in person.
EZ Board saw same as TK saw
Norwood nice saw but don't care for the plastic guards.
Cooks are really nice 3.5 month wait min time frame and nobody in area to go see one.
Woodland looks to be a nice saw, want one a little bigger.
Hud-son local dealer got to put my hands on it and run it.

I do a lot of reading and searching on the net before I ever buy anything. Just looking for current reviews of products. The saws I have been pricing are same sized and with pretty much standard equipment it comes with for each one. The cost is with in a few hundred of each other, but the WM saw is the highest with the Cooks being the cheapest.

Where did you get that the EZ Boardwalk is the same as TK? Were you sawing that there was no one in your area that had a EZ?

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Gitrdone64

Where did you get that the EZ Boardwalk is the same as TK? Were you sawing that there was no one in your area that had a EZ?

PC
[/quote]

Meaning nobody in my area with one to see.

I picked the Hud-son Oscar 236 Pro, because dealer with in 1 hour and he has stock. I also talked to a few people from my general area that has a Hud-son and have dealt with the dealer in my area. They all like their saw and the dealer.
Hud-son Oscar 236 Pro

justallan1

Congrats on the new mill.
The first one I had was the small Hudson and it did everything it was supposed to do. Some folks throughout the internet have said they have a light carriage, but I found with the one I had if I kept a sharp band on it and didn't push it to hard that it did pretty darned good. As said before, the only reason I got rid of it was that I wanted a bigger mill.

Theo

Quote from: Gitrdone64 on February 28, 2016, 09:51:25 AM
Congratulations on the HM126.

Yes I picked up mine yesterday. 8) I bought the Hud-son Oscar 236 Pro with the 23hp motor. Prolly will not cut the first log on it until the trailer is built. Been modifing the drawings that Woodland Mills has on their website.

I have found all kind of cool mods on this website and a ton on youtube.

Good choice...   If the only complaint is that Hud-Son wil not cut a dozen nails before need an new blade,,  Your are  OK

;D

Theo
HUD-SON and Range-Road & KASCO Canada Dealer

Gitrdone64

I have an idea kicking around in my head.
Was going to build a trailer for my new sawmill but now thinking of buying a heavy car hauler type trailer to set the mill on and use a winch to pull up the log onto the trailer from rear and roll onto sawmill bed. So if not using sawmill I could still use trailer for other task or to haul logs home.
Hud-son Oscar 236 Pro

Kbeitz

If you have a barn or large shead you could hang it from the rafters when you
need to use the trailer.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

bkaimwood

Kbeitz... A dude who never stops thinking, with stuff, clear out of the blue...great idea!!!
bk

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Gitrdone64

Quote from: Kbeitz on March 07, 2016, 05:02:19 PM
If you have a barn or large shead you could hang it from the rafters when you
need to use the trailer.

I got plenty of room to store it.
40x40 shop
30x75 barn.
Hud-son Oscar 236 Pro

justallan1

Quote from: Gitrdone64 on March 07, 2016, 04:42:18 PM
I have an idea kicking around in my head.
Was going to build a trailer for my new sawmill but now thinking of buying a heavy car hauler type trailer to set the mill on and use a winch to pull up the log onto the trailer from rear and roll onto sawmill bed. So if not using sawmill I could still use trailer for other task or to haul logs home.
Here Is what I did for the HFE-21. The biggest problem with the trailer with side rails was safety. If a log rolls, there was no where to go. With the right safety precautions it was fine. I could dead stack lumber on each side of the track and take the entire trailer home at night or when leaving the mill and trailer I would park the truck real close and off-bear right onto it. The nice thing with using the trailer was that between the track, the steel framed box for the track and the trailer, it was stiff enough that I had little to no flex and it was a piece of cake to level.

Gitrdone64

Cool idea the trailer I am speaking of has no side rails.
Hud-son Oscar 236 Pro

Gitrdone64

Justallen1 this is the kind of trailer I was talking of.

I want one with slide in ramps.
Mount the winch up at gooseneck and pull log up from end of trailer.
102" wide by 24' long.
Hud-son Oscar 236 Pro

Upper

You could use those ramps as a log arch,maybe
Stihl 661
Alaskan 36 CSM
36" guillotine splitter powered by a GMC V6
I like to build stuff
LT35HD Wood-Mizer

Gitrdone64

Well I haven't been on in a while. I feel in my shop working on adding a second floor and broke my knee in three places back on 3/16/2016.
Did buy a new trailer for healing logs or saw mill its a 24' car hauler with a dove tail. Did get one of the pecan trees cut up and loaded onto the trailer.

Waiting on broke leg to finish heeling so I can build the sled frame for saw mill.

Have 12k winch to pull logs onto trailer.
Hud-son Oscar 236 Pro

Gitrdone64

Still have 2 more trees to lay down. about same size. No hurry to saw them and dry. My kids are holding off for about 5 years on building them a house. So now we can cut logs up and let them air dry slowly.
Hud-son Oscar 236 Pro

thecfarm

Spend your healing time on here!!! Hope all heals well.

Gitrdone64

I haven't wanted to do much of nothing. Getting to feel much better. Hope the doctor will let me start walking in June.
Hud-son Oscar 236 Pro

BigDogTreekillr

Definitely don't let walking in sawdust discourage you from the WM 10 and 15. Both are great rigs and very dependable. Adding a power feed makes sawing all most effortless in comparison to pushing it. Add a bucket or dust collection system. I have had a lt 15 with the yanmar diesel and power feed for 3 years now and wouldn't trade it for nothing! Great Lumber and can saw all day on 1 tank of fuel!
Mopar Go Far! Whoopaaa

Thank You Sponsors!