iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Getting Started

Started by SkyDoc, February 22, 2016, 05:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyDoc

Insert generic opening statement here: I am new, I am clueless, and I hope to ask a ton of questions to reduce my learning curve.

Here is the plan, I know it is ambitious and it will take time. Please feel free to weigh in on any portion or all of the plan with suggestions, guidance, and advice. I understand all experience is different and we all started from somewhere.

The big picture plan: (Estimated timeline 3-5 years)
Goal #1 Build a 12x12 pump shed for my well house out of roughcut pine. I hope to have this done by mid-summer at the latest.
Goal #2 Mill larger lumber to construct a large pole barn with a dual purpose use of lumber storage and a place to mill out of the sun and rain. I hope to have this done in the next year.
Goal #3 Stockpile enough pine logs to build my 1600 sq ft log home on a 35x50 foundation (ballpark, the Mrs. will change her mind a few times).

The plan:
I am purchasing a Lumbersmith Bantam 26 bandsaw mill this week. I am trying to start small and make my mistakes in small doses. I plan to set the mill up static on my property on I-beams with tracks to cut a 16' log. I figure I will cut my teeth on this size mill to learn.

Once I raise some capital I intend to purchase a Turner Mill trailer model fully hydraulic. Hydraulic to keep my back strain to a minimum. I hope to have this purchased this summer.

These are the two mills I plan to use to cut the beams for my pole barn and ultimately mill my logs (3 sides) for my log home. My idea is to cherry pick the available wood and set it aside for the house to let it dry after it has been milled. I have a contractor friend that has experience with timber frame and log home construction that will general the project when the time comes. My job is to collect, mill, and store the wood until I have accumulated enough lumber to complete the entire weathered in structure.

Please note, I do not have to rush these projects. I have a house already, I have time, and most importantly I want to do this out of pocket as much as possible.

I am soliciting advice from the group regarding the tools that I will need, the manner in which to complete the goals, and a local mentor if there is one available. I do have a familiarity with logging as I grew up in a logging village in Alaska and have done small scale logging when I was younger.

I hope this paints a clear picture of what I want to do and how I intend to get there. The details come from the group and their experiences. 

I look forward to hearing what the group has to say and thank you in advance for taking time to help out.

Doc
Dad always said "its easier to learn from someone else's  mistake than to make it yourself". Thats why I am here....

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, SkyDoc.  I am not familiar with either of the sawmills that you listed so I will defer to the experts. 

Removing the bark from the Pine logs will be very important to prevent Pine Sawyer Beetles from doing your initial sawing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

SkyDoc,

Welcome to the FF.

On goal #3 are there going to be any issues using your own lumber for such a structure? Are building codes in your area going to require either getting the lumber graded or using graded lumber? I assume your contractor friend should be familiar but would not hurt to ask.

Not familiar with the mills you mention. If well maintained you should retain good resale or trade in value. Another option might be to buy a basic mill that you could later add hydraulics as budget and experience allows.

Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

sandsawmill14

hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

SkyDoc

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on February 22, 2016, 06:20:09 PM
SkyDoc,

Welcome to the FF.

On goal #3 are there going to be any issues using your own lumber for such a structure? Are building codes in your area going to require either getting the lumber graded or using graded lumber? I assume your contractor friend should be familiar but would not hurt to ask.

Not familiar with the mills you mention. If well maintained you should retain good resale or trade in value. Another option might be to buy a basic mill that you could later add hydraulics as budget and experience allows.

Good luck.
WV you raise a good point! I hadnt considered that I will inquire with my contractor buddy. I live out in the Parish (country) outside of city limits so I'd hope that things would be a little more lenient.

The lumbersmith is a small 21" throat Honda powered portable. I talked to them on the phone and feel pretty confident about their product. It's a smaller investment that I hope will get me started.

Thanks for the tip MM
Dad always said "its easier to learn from someone else's  mistake than to make it yourself". Thats why I am here....

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, SkyDoc!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ncsawyer

Welcome to the Forum! I looked up the two mills you are planning on using, and they are both nice looking mills. 

Do you plan on getting the 42 inch head on the Turner Mill?

Good luck with the new buildings.  There are plenty of posts on the forum about mill sheds to help get the creative juices flowing.  Post pics of your buildings.  We all like seeing new buildings!
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

SkyDoc

Quote from: ncsawyer on February 22, 2016, 06:38:05 PM
Welcome to the Forum! I looked up the two mills you are planning on using, and they are both nice looking mills. 

Do you plan on getting the 42 inch head on the Turner Mill?

Good luck with the new buildings.  There are plenty of posts on the forum about mill sheds to help get the creative juices flowing.  Post pics of your buildings.  We all like seeing new buildings!

Thanks NC, I wasnt planning on going that large. I dont honestly think there is a need for it down in LA. I have yet to see timber that large, but that's not to say it isnt here and I just havent seen it. I was going to get the 36".

I have postulated (WAY down the road) getting into slabbing sinker Cypress. I need to flop around and do some crawling before I try and run. I will post when things start happening.

outpost22

Welcome from another new guy.
It sounds like you have a plan. That's the first step in the right direction.  You will find a lot of help here. I have literally been milling for only about a month or so now. It's amazing how fast you learn from actually doing it...and then you run into something that baffles you. Then THESE guys here bail you out.  Great support group and nobody laughs at you (at least on screen  :D )
Your plan is similar to mine (except for the log house). Good luck!
Creating one more project one at a time.
Burg Bandsaw Mill
Stihl 010
Stihl 210
Stihl 251
Stihl 461
Husky 350
Kubota L3800

thecfarm

SkyDoc,welcome to the forum.
Logrite is a sponsor on the left for your log turning tools. Cantdog or a peavey.
What do you have to move the logs with?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SkyDoc

Quote from: thecfarm on February 23, 2016, 06:08:00 AM
SkyDoc,welcome to the forum.
Logrite is a sponsor on the left for your log turning tools. Cantdog or a peavey.
What do you have to move the logs with?

Cfarm,

I havent purchased those tools yet. I am sure I will be in the near future though. I am glad you sent me to logrite, they explain the difference and the original use. I have used peavey's when I was up in AK and I thought that was all there was. I will probably end up getting both before the dust settles.

Thanks

fishfighter

Welcome a board SkyDoc.

I see you are in Holden. I'm not far from you. Live just outside New Roads. I'm have a year sawing and still learning the ropes, but I'm sure I can help you if need be. I'm running a Woodland 126 mill. If you would like to see it in action, PM me and I will send my contact info.

drobertson

Howdy and welcome, no reason your dreams won't come true, sounds like you have gave it plenty of thought, be flexible things do change at times so, go with it, your minimal investment is not a bad idea, going too deep to soon can be a burden,  hope all goes well, spring is just around the corner, perfect time to get started,,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WV Sawmiller

Skydoc,

Before you consider getting a mill with the extra large width like mentioned above please consider your available support equipment too. I am sure most of us would have liked a little extra clearance from time to time but will your tractor or skid steer even move a 42" diameter log? Same with the Logrites. I was tempted to get the largest model but realized it was designed for bigger logs than I could ever get on my mill anyway and I have been completely pleased with the standard model I selected. Keep us informed of your progress.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SkyDoc

Quote from: fishfighter on February 23, 2016, 07:56:50 AM
Welcome a board SkyDoc.

I see you are in Holden. I'm not far from you. Live just outside New Roads. I'm have a year sawing and still learning the ropes, but I'm sure I can help you if need be. I'm running a Woodland 126 mill. If you would like to see it in action, PM me and I will send my contact info.
Tried the PM function but it didnt work. Can you drop me an email at daniel.ryan.buzard(at)gmail(.)com

SkyDoc

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on February 23, 2016, 08:14:53 AM
Skydoc,

Before you consider getting a mill with the extra large width like mentioned above please consider your available support equipment too. I am sure most of us would have liked a little extra clearance from time to time but will your tractor or skid steer even move a 42" diameter log? Same with the Logrites. I was tempted to get the largest model but realized it was designed for bigger logs than I could ever get on my mill anyway and I have been completely pleased with the standard model I selected. Keep us informed of your progress.

You bring up a good point that I had not considered. Right now, I dont have a single thing to make this work yet. Keeping the burden to a minimum is key, I will get powered equipment as the need arises and it matches up with the available cash flow.

Starter mill is getting ordered today and should be waiting on me when I get home from offshore in a couple weeks. Logs will be put on the mill the very old fashioned way....manually. So I guess the first tools are gonna be peaveys and cant hooks....

Magicman

Quote from: SkyDoc on February 23, 2016, 08:41:09 AMTried the PM function but it didnt work.
As you make more post, you will gain more forum privileges.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

downsouth

Welcome to the forum skydoc.
I'm up in amite,if I can help just give me a yell. I have a lt35hyd,I  can probably give you a few pointers.
As for the sinker cypress thing. You would be maybe one more of 10million people trying to get into that right now. Not trying to be negative,just being truthful.
Just learn what you need to,and stick with it. You will find your spot.

SkyDoc

Quote from: downsouth on February 23, 2016, 03:12:36 PM
Welcome to the forum skydoc.
I'm up in amite,if I can help just give me a yell. I have a lt35hyd,I  can probably give you a few pointers.
As for the sinker cypress thing. You would be maybe one more of 10million people trying to get into that right now. Not trying to be negative,just being truthful.
Just learn what you need to,and stick with it. You will find your spot.

I kinda knew that cypress was the "in" thing right now. I am more focused on getting my projects done. Once those are done I will look at other things to do. With the weather today I got a free pine dropped across my driveway...of course I am off shore and the neighbor had to cut it for me. How did you fair with the weather?

downsouth

Just a little high water back in the creek. There was a few tornados touch down,not sure where or what type of damage. It's past us now and moving into Mississippi.
Hope everyone fairs well.

Magicman

The main front went South of me so we should be safe now.

downsouth

I'm glad to hear that MM.
It came over us and headed east.
Looks like the town of Livingston got hit pretty hard.

SkyDoc

The mill is officially ordered. It should be here in 2 weeks. I am going to be setting it up static on my property. I am going to get some I-beams for the tracks. Can any of you that have static mills take pictures of how you set your mill up on the ground and post them here. Please include why you did what you did and how.

A small tornado went through today while I am at work off shore. It was kind to me and only blew one of my trees down. The neighbor (knowing that I was ordering a mill today) cut it long for me so I can use it.

MM, glad to hear you got passed up. i was paying close attention to the track and was concerned for you.

Good to see you did ok as well Down South.

Magicman

Since you mentioned a Honda engine, it looks like you opted for the higher 11 hp upgrade.

Remember, pictures when you get it.   :)

SkyDoc

Quote from: Magicman on February 23, 2016, 08:41:07 PM
Since you mentioned a Honda engine, it looks like you opted for the higher 11 hp upgrade.

Remember, pictures when you get it.   :)
Yes sir, I will do. Now I need a chainsaw. I have been loyal to Stihl all my life. However, I am looking at a husky 460 Rancher 24" bar. Do Y'all have any thoughts on Husky?

Thank You Sponsors!