iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What to do with cherry logs?

Started by northwoods, October 19, 2004, 12:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northwoods

This is my first time on this forum, and any help would be appreciated.  I have approx 20-25 cherry trees to cut down sometime in the next month.  They range from 16"-24" dia about 3 feet off the ground.  Most are straight without any branches for 30 feet or more.  I have been told these may be "veneer" logs?  I can cut them down and deliver them, but who buys these?  Do I call a sawmill, or are there log brokers or such?  What would be a good length, or at least a minimum length to cut the logs?  What is something like this worth?
Thanks,
Wanna-be logger  

leweee

Welcome to the forum ! I don't know all the rules & regs. for your area... but you won't go wrong by getting a forester to help. The more people you talk to the better you will understand what is envoled.Loggers, sawmills, timber buyers all have vested interests in your product. Get lots of opinions & go slow ...remember Haste makes Waste :P ;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Jeff

bighoss550

QuoteXXcxzZCzC

gazundheit!!! :D

u ok jeff?

def find a forester and have em take a peek at it!!! im no pro either, but u aint gotta be a pro if u know who to ask:)

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D :D

All I can invision is Jeff wrappin' his arms around them cherry logs and putting the bear hug on, while saying to us all 'hands off, they're mine'. :D

Good advise from folks  8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Timberwerks

I would love to have them myself for furniture. Would you happen to be near Wisconsin?

Dale

Mark M

I'll trade you cottonwood for them, even up!

Weekend_Sawyer

Jeff, havin a hard time typin with that new shoulder?
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

SwampDonkey

Northwoods

As the guys suggest call around for the specs from each of the markets in your area. Sometimes a log that has a sweep on one end or a cat face further up can be trimmed to get you better value. There are some markets that take veneer as short as 4'-4".
If ya can't move the logs within a couple weeks just paint some sealant on the ends of the logs. But, during cold (< 32 F) weather a log will not dry since the water in the log is frozen. Put them under cover if your going to be hanging onto them long. They won't get insects or fungus during the winter, but if someone wants to take a look at'm its alot more convenient if they are spread out under a pole barn or something and not in a big pile. Also, it will be nice not to have to clean the snow of'm if its that late in the winter. Veneer buyers will have to look over each piece and scale the ones that meet their specs. ;)

cheers and good luck

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

northwoods

Thanks for all the input.  Sorry Timberwerks, I'm near Detroit, Wisconsin would be a bit of a haul for me.

OneWithWood

Welcome, Northwoods.

I strongly urge you to consult with your district forester.  If nothing else he/she should be able to provide you with a list of consulting foresters in your area.  A little prfessional advice may be worth many $ in your pocket.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

dewwood

You might want to consider selling the trees standing.  If they are veneer quality someone with experience in cutting could possibly save you some money just by getting them down with the most footage still in the tree.  If you decide to cut them yourself consider leaving them tree length until you have some buyers to look at them.  Veneer buyers will indicate where they want them cut and you will not have as many exposed ends to check or split.  If you do cut them try to pull them out into an area where the buyer will be able to easily inspect them as was mentioned in an earlier post.

I would be interested in looking at them when you are ready to sell.  IM me or email from my website.
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Ron Scott

Yes, have a professional forester look at them first for the most value to you.
~Ron

Buzz-sawyer

My first thought when reading your post was , "Dont cut it till it has been sold!" :o :oVeneer buyers can be very picky about buying standing or FRESH cut not over a week old...you could end up lossing 50% of your value with a cut and sell plan. Find 2-3 buyers get thier best price for the standing trees  and post HERE for advice.....youll get the most that way.. ;)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

SwampDonkey

Depends on the attitude of the veneer buyers on the 'cut vs don't cut' scenario. In my area the wood has to be cut and ready to inspect, and it can be as old as 2 or 3 weeks. With yellow birch the sooner the better, spoils fast in the summer heat. In late fall and winter around here the wood isn't going to dry or check since its frozen. There is alot to be seen in that stick of wood when its cut and layed out on the ground. I don't know of any veneer buyers here that will 'pay before they lay'. It's just too risky. Our buyers come to the marketing board or wood yard where folks bring their pieces (centralized) for the buyers to inspect, scale and stamp. If the trees are still standing, they're not interested. Our hardwood has alot more hidden defect up here than further south. A piece might look perfect when standing, when cut it might be like a wooden culvert or all mineralized inside.

cheers

sigidi

Gee Wizz what a problem :D ;D

I just wish I had half of ya problems ;)

As mentioned go slow and get advice from the FF the best place for you and the cheapest too!!!
Always willing to help - Allan

DR Buck

I have a customer that just paid $500 a tree for standing cherry 18"-20" dia.  I think about 7 - 8  trees.  He's got to take them down and move them off the property.  

I'll be turning them into boards for him in the next few weeks. 8)

I also highly recommend finding a timber broker of forester that can help with determining the value while their still standing.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

WH_Conley

I sold some cherry a couple of years ago, had several buyers come and look at them. One tree in particular was a very fancy tree, left it whole. Two buyers wanted me to cut it up to give a price, gave one anyhow, the buyer that eventually bought wanted this tree whole 38 feet long 16" small end. heck of a time loading it. He also wanted the good logs 9 and 11 feet instead of standard even length. For wall panels, allowed for end trim. He had high bid so he was the man I cut to suit. He was almost $2000.00 higher than the next guy.
     A competant forester should know what is going on in your area but you might keep in mind to try to get any and all buyers there as close to the same time as possible. In an ideal world you could leave all of them tree length say "OK boys, who gives the most money gets them cut to your length". But if you do that be careful, someone might wake you from that nice dream. Lotsa luck  
Bill

TN_man

Did anybody out there decipher the coded message from Jeff? I have'nt been able to figure it out? :D :D
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

Thank You Sponsors!