iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Borneman layout tool mod.

Started by Dave Shepard, February 22, 2016, 10:37:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I just modified my Big Al tool to make laying out peg hole location easier. I just scribed every 1/2", starting with 2". Now I can just line the edge of the tool up with the edge of the mortise and mark the hole without having to find the center. Works for 1.5" or 2" off the face. If I was doing more than that, I would put another set of scribes on the 4"/5" bar. I think this would be a good feature to see from the manufacturer.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dave Shepard

I realized later this morning that the way I'm using the tool only works when you are scribing and pricking the tenons and laying out from the non-reference side of the timber. When I square rule, I drop the peg location down from the reference edge, so I'll take a square and continue those scribes all the way across the tool, and most likely will add them to the other side to get the .5" layouts as well.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jim_Rogers

Dave:
Next time we see each other face to face, I'll have to show you a new and improved "Al" layout template.

THIS TOOL HAS BEEN DISCONTINUED BY TFHQ AND IS NOT AVAILABLE ANYMORE.
IT IS NOT THE DELUXE VERSION BIG AL

I was sent one to do a product review, which is in the works.

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Brian_Weekley

Jim,

Is that available at the TFGuild?  I can't read the contact info on the square.

(Never mind--found it online at the Timber Frame HQ)

Thanks,

Brian
e aho laula

Heartwood

$170 for the new one from Brice at TFHQ, and $130 for the original from the Guild, is a good price point separation, in my opinion. I hope the Guild's will remain popular.
The Guild's version is much lighter (aluminum vs. stainless, I guess), but Brice's has more bells and whistles. I have both.

Dave Shepard

I see several things about it that I don't like. I need the graduations to start from the edge of the tool. If they don't, then the two features that I would want the graduations for don't work. I also don't like all that speed square junk on there. I'll just finish scratching mine up, and it will do exactly what I want. :)

Heartwood

Dave,
Modifying the tool you already have to suit your needs is a good thing.
The gradations on the new one start exactly 1.5" from the edge on one side and 2" from the other, so I think that works.
Also the protractor markings are handy for those who do compound work, and much more accurate here than on a Speed Square. There used to be the Super Square around that was quite coveted by Guild members who used Hawkindale angles–basically a framing square with a slot in the middle and the protractor markings. It's not made anymore so I think Brice added it to this model.

opticsguy

Although i am not a timber framer I would certainly enjoy learning and doing!!  That is a very cool tool. If about 50% of the price I would consider one.
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

rjwoelk

That was one thing I would like to learn about is big al, I have seen it used but never explained, is therena book or write up on or a utobe. Heard lots of good things.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Heartwood

Jack Sobon's Build A Classic Timber Frame House explains its use, as does my new book Learn To Timber Frame due out in May through Storey Publishing.

Jim_Rogers

I did a short youtube video about the fence labels.

Search for JimRogers117 and you should be able to find it.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

PineHill4488

Quote from: Heartwood on February 25, 2016, 08:08:43 AM
new book Learn To Timber Frame due out in May through Storey Publishing.

Mr. Beemer,

You and Darling Wife made sure a copy of LtTF was delivered before Father's Day 2016. I spent the weekend vastly enjoying it. Your supportive inscription is great motivation.

Thank you!
Greg
Fall 2013 purchased Stihl MS 660 and an Alaskan 36" mill, am happy with the setup, hobbyist not a volume producer, have milled oak, hickory, yellow pine, and power poles.

sdesocio

So am I crazy or did the guild stop selling the big al?

jander3

I called thr Guild last week.  They do not sell the big al.  The refered me to timberframehq.com.  i ordered one from there. 

Thank You Sponsors!