iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

profit

Started by logman 219, February 22, 2016, 08:48:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman 219

saw 100 bdft , 500 bdft. an hour, 3" slabs live edge, 4/4 hardwood,air dry, kiln dry ,s2s , s4s,green rough sawn, 500 bdft. or 5000bdft inventory...without a market or on sales you are not making a dime , youve lost time and money !!!!

WV Sawmiller

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

dustyhat

drobertson

What's money?  I thought this was just for fun,, you mean we can saw and get paid for it!  Wow!  how exciting is that!
Who would've figured it? not a bad idea,,,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WellandportRob

If you cut it they will come.
2016 Wood-Mizer LT40HG 35 , Alaskan MKIII 60", Chev Duramax, Anderson logging trailer. Lucas DSM 23-19.

Brucer

Not necessarily. Many of us have been pleasantly surprised by the demand for our services. But some folks have sawn a pile of material only to find it's not what the potential customers want, or else the customers expect to pay less than the sawyer's break even point.

As the original post said, "without a market or on sales you are not making a dime".
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

longtime lurker

Quote from: WellandportRob on February 22, 2016, 12:17:21 PM

This!!!

Saw it, saw it well, and store it well. What doesn't sell this week will sell next week, or next month, or next year. I've never felt bad about a lost sale because someone undercut me; the ones that hurt have always been the big ones where I couldn't fill the order in time.

I've seen lean times when sales are few and far between and I wished I could eat timber, but no matter how tough we saw till we can't afford to turn it on or afford another log. It'll turn, it always does, and meanwhile that built up store of sawn timber means we make a little sale here and a little sale there without needing to cut every last piece. When its good that store helps take the pressure off on the production end.

I regard sawn timber like a T bill - might not be able to eat it, might not be able to cash it tomorrow - but its an investment nonetheless. For a small production mill inventory is an essential part of a business plan.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Downstream

Quote from: WellandportRob on February 22, 2016, 12:17:21 PM

I have owned my EZ Boardwalk Jr for a couple of months and I'm amazed at the number of people that have heard about my mill thorugh word of mouth and are inquiring about lumber, slabs, tables, signs, etc.  Currently I'm only sawing for my own projects, but hopefully I can scrounge enough logs to be in a position to sell some green slabs or other stuff.  I have learned over the years that there is a big difference between interested conversations and people wanting to pay a fair price for my efforts/products. 
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

Thank You Sponsors!