iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Puzzling

Started by SwampDonkey, October 19, 2004, 11:51:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Here is a puzzle from the August 1982 issue of Boy's Life Magazine.

Insert the plunger completely into the case and give it a quater turn to hook the rubber band. Pull out slightly, about an inch, and it snaps back into the case. Your friend tries it, and there's no snap!

The secret. The plunger's snap action is not caused by the rubber band ;) It is the shape of the plunger cap and the way you hold it that does the trick. After pulling the plunger out about an inch, squeeze the cap between your fingers, which will snap it back.

How to make it. (see diagram for dimensions):

Click here to enlarge

1. Make the case and cap in one piece.
2. Cut off the cap.
3. Drill 3/16-inch holes, as shown.
4. Cut the plunger and plug from a 3/16-inch wood dowel.
5. Carve and sand the cap, as shown.
6. Carve a notch in the dowel tip and glue the plunger into the cap.
7. Cut off the plug's sides and insert it with the rubber band in the end of the case.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Weekend_Sawyer

I used to do the same trick with a pen and pencap.
Rub the pen on your shirt and tell folks it magnatizes it then hold the tapered cap near and squeze it so it jumps back on the pen.  :o
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

SwampDonkey

If you find the wooden trick doesn't work well, just apply some floor wax to the wooden cap. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sigidi

Much better than DanG Playstations
Always willing to help - Allan

Furby

That says you!  ::) :D

etat

One of the coolest tricks I ever seen was one my dad made one time.  I kept it for years and finally it disappeared.  

He made a little chute that a penny or dime would slide down out of thin sheet metal and soldiered the seam.  It was only about 3 inches long.

On to this was a real small bag that mother sewed. You'd slide the bag over the chute and put a rubber band around it.

You'd take the end with the bag and put it in a little bitty sewing needle box, and wrap a couple of rubber bands around that.

You'd then stick that sewing needle box into one of them old 'Succretts' sore throat box, and wrap a couple of rubber bands around that.  

When you'd get through the only thing sticking out of that metal box was the end of that chute.  

You'd stick the whole thing in yer pocket.

To pull the trick you'd get somebody to take out a penny or a dime, and behind your back scratch a mark on it so it would be unmistakable.

You'd take that dime, or penny, and without looking at it, stick it in your pocket.  It'd take a bit of wiggling around, but you'd shake it down that little metal chute, into the bag.  As you'd wiggle the chute out, still in your pocket of course the rubber band around the bag would tighten, the plastic needle box would snap closed, and when it came free of the succrets box it would snap shut with rubber bands around _______________________________________________

Pull that box out of your pocket and hand it to the person to open, leaving that metal chute in your pocket.  They'd remove the rubber bands, open the succretts box, remove rubber bands and open the plastic needle box, and remove the rubber band and open the bag, and there'd be, without a doubt, their penny or dime.  Keep em doing it slow, and right before they open the bag offer to bet em that it's actually their coin in that bag.  Remeber it was only in yer pocket a few seconds.

Ordinarily ya don't offer to do it again, at this time, cause it takes too long to set up.

I don't remember anyone ever figuring it out, unless I showed em.  

Another little ole 'tricky' old favorite of mine.

Get somebody to hand you a couple of quarters.  Make a big production of rolling em around in you hands, changing from hand to hand, behind your back, let em sorta get tired of all that, and then...............

Have one in each hand, and open your hands.  Ask em which quarter is the one they gave you.

.999999999 percent of the time they'll tell ya right off that they gave ya both of em!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank em very politely for giving you their money, and stick it in yer pocket.

Works best in a small crowd.  :)

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

SwampDonkey

Furby.  :D :D :D :D :D

cktate: That was my lunch money :-[

cheers ;)

Thank You Sponsors!