iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Lumber Storage Shed

Started by Planman1954, February 21, 2016, 09:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Planman1954

That is the MAIN reason that I like this forum...folks documenting their work with photos to demo how things are made. We need more of this to encourage others to BUILD things that add value to their lives and to others...a good thing!
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

barbender

I think I need you Grumpy Old Men to come work at my place for a month or so ;)
Too many irons in the fire

David Freed

I like reading about and looking at pics of projects like this.

I wish we could get away with foundations like that up here. I'm getting ready to pour a 2' deep concrete foundation.  :snowball:

Planman1954

4" to 6" frontline here! But the price you pay is a long HOT summer! :)

Planman1954

More progress today! All that's left is to paint, put on door knobs, and build the lumber shelf support brackets. Then I can load her up, and get a little more organized around here!

caveman

Planman, that is one fine looking wood shack.  With a window shaker and a fridge that thing would make quite a bachelor pad.  Thank you for showing the build.
Caveman

Planman1954

Almost done! All I lack is a couple of steps and doorknobs! I'm happy! As I said at the beginning of the build, the design was based on an easy to access storage rack system. Since pictures are worth a thousand words, I took a few to show the finished rack system. It seems really sturdy, and I'm not worried about it holding a tremendous amount of lumber without sagging. We used 15 pounds of 2" screws! Whew...almost wore out our drills. Anyway here are the pics:

Roxie

Say when

Ljohnsaw

I like the brackets, especially the mitered bottom corners.  I hate when there is a sharp corner, I always find it with my head ::)  Now that you used up your wood stock to make the shelves, I suppose you have to get cutting again :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Planman1954

Ha...the next photos will show LOTS of leftovers from years past! Stay tuned.

Planman1954

Here's the beginning...the first load to go in!!

4x4American

I too need a lumber storage shed, since you did such a nice job, I will reward you with getting to build me one for free! 
Boy, back in my day..

Planman1954

Hey! All seriousness aside....It is fantastic seeing the racks of ORGANIZED lumber, by thickness and by species sitting on those racks, just waiting to become something nice. It really isn't too hard a project, and will give a lifetime of convenience to the builder. You really should do it. It didn't cost much...a little metal, a little felt, a little paint and caulk, a few nails, a LOT of screws, and some dedicated labor....and you can have one too.

4x4American

Yea, I have so many projects that I want to get done and not enough time.  I want to build one that can hold at least 4mbf of green lumber to air dry.  I'd like to be able to stack the lumber on pallets and then put it in the shed with a loader.  But we also have this frost up here, the ground moves, and to get the floor to stay level, would have to go below frost with footers.  I read on here about a guy who has to shim his lumber drying shed each spring to keep everything level.
Boy, back in my day..

Planman1954

You need something quite a bit larger than I have in order to do that. Mine is geared more towards a hobbiest like myself. Commercial operation is a different animal. But couldn't you use those tubes set into a drilled hole, and fill them with concrete? That's not too difficult to do is it? I'd sure think of something if I lived up there. Good luck!

Ron Scott

~Ron

thecfarm

Much,Much easier. You need something,you will be able to get to it without moving a whack of lumber.
I went to a hobby guy place and he had a rack. Nothing like what you have. His went from the floor to the ceiling. I forgot how wide,maybe a foot,but as soon as you walked in,you was looking at it. He had a rack about a foot square up against the wall and his lumber was put in there.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

isawlogs

That is a nice woodshed,   :) 

I'm thinking that with what I "collect" I'll be needing a large barn soon to store it all.  :D :D   
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

DeerMeadowFarm

Thank You Sponsors!