iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Lumber Storage Shed

Started by Planman1954, February 21, 2016, 09:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Planman1954

A while back, I mentioned that I planned on building a lumber storage shed. Since buying a sawmill about six years ago, it seemed I always had leftover boards and no place to store the, except in my garage areas:

Trust me, if you own a mill for your own use and not as a commercial enterprise, you WILL have leftovers!
Anyway, so I chose an area near the mill to place the 16'x16' structure. It is right beside an area that will be convenient to load and unload pieces. Here is a photo of my brother helping cut a few small trees in the way:

I began by grading the small area with my old Ford 9n with my box blade. I then set some 16"x16"x4" thick concrete blocks every 8' on all corners and centers. After leveling them up, I set a concrete block on each one. Then I placed a termite shield over each block. I made them from some metal roll stock. It worked fine. Then I placed a 2x6 treated sole plate onto the block system and lined them up to square:

The next step was to place the joist system onto the toe plates. I used 2x8s at 16" on center, with a double 2x8 beam around the perimeter with a beam across the center. I let the joist system float on the sole plates while I nailed the joists together. After squaring up the joists, I nailed them down to the sole plate:

The next step was to lay down the 1x12 floor over the joists. But before doing this, I laid felt over the joists so that there would be a vapor barrier under the floor. The whole idea of the structure is to have a complete surrounding of felt to create a moisture free environment. Here's a picture of my buddy Tim who helped me today of the floor boards being put down:

And here's a photo of the finished floor:

We finished the day by standing up the first of five walls. I plan on updating the project as I go along. It may be a few weeks, as I'm only able to work on the weekends usually on it.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Ljohnsaw

That's great progress.  Curious as to how you are securing your floor to your "footings".  I would worry about it being blown off your foundation in a stiff wind!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

WV Sawmiller

P'54,

Congrats and looking good. Keep us updated. Want to take any bets as to how long it will be before you say "Its not big enough" (They never are).

Be careful and keep on punchin.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Planman1954

Ljohnsaw....it's not going to blow away...I promise! The shear weight of the joist system bearing on the piers is massive already. Once the thing is loaded with lumber, well...I'm not worried.

Bark Beetle

How are you going to stack the lumber in there, are you going to put up some racks or just stack it on the floor? It will definitely be nice to have a dedicated building for lumber( around here it is always in the way :D)
You don't work wood, you work with wood.

thecfarm

You can come build me one too.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Planman1954

I made the building 16'-8" deep so that 16' long stock will fit. I'm going to put two 36" wide doors on the front with four feet between them. There will be a wall in the center of the building front to back, which will give me support, along with the right and left end wall, for 2' wide racks. There will be three on each wall at 2',4',and 6' above the floor. I can then carry boards through each of the two doors and place them on either side of the aisle in each half of the finished building. You'll get the idea as I go along.

WDH

Looking great.  A man needs a place to keep lumber. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

P'54,

A suggestion - can you include a small hinged door as a loading chute on one end, preferably the high or most accessible end, that you could raise and slide your lumber in maybe off the forks of your tractor (if you have one) or the end of your truck or trailer? You can then lift inside and on the long heavy stuff just lift one end at a time. Even a 2' square opening or 16" wide if that is your stud spacing, should be big enough to slide most lumber into the shed. Might even build in a simple roller system if not too complicated.

Lots of us are old enough now we avoid lifting a board any time we can and sliding/rolling off forks or a trailer could be a lot easier than carrying them through your doors.

Just a thought - remember free advice is worth what you paid for it.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

pineywoods

Planman is a neighbor and good friend. He tends to do things kinda backwards. He built an absolutely beautiful home, then filled it with some of the nicest handmade furniture you ever saw..THEN he bought a sawmill to saw lumber to build a shed to keep his lumber in. Pore mill still sits out in the rain.. ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Deese

Very nice Planman! Keep us updated smiley_bounce
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Planman1954

Piney must have just driven by! I forgot to put the cover on the mill after I finished sawing the other day...I let it cool down so it would not melt the plastic cover. :D

WVSawmiller: That sounds smart! I did put a lot of thought into the arrangement of the lumber by reading a lot and watching videos of other lumber storage ideas. I think I need to stick the plan! Guess I'll just have to keep myself in shape a few more years as I tote a board at the time into the shed. >:(

WmFritz

That's going to make one fine lumber house, Planman.

Piney, nobody's more backwards then me. I built my mill and then I found the Forestry Forum to figure out what to do with it.  ;)
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

21incher

That looks like it will be a great storage area. The biggest problem with stacking lumber in a shed that I am running across quite often is I always need the peice on the bottom of the stack.  :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Planman1954

I've made some more progress on the shed. I hope to post pictures soon. Stay tuned!

Carson-saws

Looks real good.   Do I need to take a number? 
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

Planman1954

Here's a couple of photos I just took. The first is a front view, showing the center wall and the two front doors. This will give me two aisles for lumber to be stacked on each side:

Here's a shot looking up. It shows the felt laid over the stripping which the metal roof is screwed into. This is so that the entire building will be totally surrounded by a vapor barrier (felt):

Planman1954

After a long HOT summer, it's time to get this shed completed! I've made some progress in the last few days. I hope to have it done by about the end of next week. Slow and steady wins the race....it seems so here.

pineywoods

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Planman1954

Actually, I've got a LOT happening at once Piney! I'm trying to get the woodwork shop done at the same time I'm working on the lumber storage shed....so that I can get the Hammond organ cabinet(s) built for the keyboard restorations! And then on to the rear deck...and then to the greenhouse...and then to the pool house....and then ;D

ozarkgem

your not to far from having a 2 chamber kiln.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Planman1954

Ozarkgem is paying attention! 8)

wvwoodbutcher

That's a fine looking shed planman. Good work.
Hudson Oscar 36

dean herring

Just finished my shed addition floor yesterday. I can finally get the mill shed organized before my buddy John quits on me. I'm gonna try to post some pictures.
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

Thank You Sponsors!