iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Winch question

Started by Logger003, February 21, 2016, 08:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logger003

Hey everyone I'm having trouble with the winch on my 225 TJ. It had an oil leak on the cylinder on the side of the winch, I got that fixed and now I can barely pull the mainline out. Just wondering if anyone has an idea on how to fix this problem

Spartan

Neilo

Did you grease the big thrust bearing?

Did you touch the brake band or clutch discs?

bushmechanic

Sounds like you need to adjust your brake band as now you moved the adjustment nut to repair the oil leak on the cylinder and it is not in the same spot now. It needs to be adjusted with the winch released so you can pull it out easy.

Logger003

I should have mentioned that it's a Hercules winch

redneck

I have a service manual for the 200 series timberjacks, however it on my old computer and can't access it.  Maybe someone else that I shared it with can email you a copy. 
208 timberjack 353 detroit, case 580 super K backhoe, homemade bandmill, 357xp, 372xpg

Neilo

You should tell us what you did with more details

David-L

You talking brake or clutch piston. not sure. More info as there is some great Timberjack mechanics on this site.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Logger003

It was the clutch piston I overhauled. I didn't touch the brake.

Neilo

OK. If it free spooled before the repair but is tight now, it is a friction issue between the clutch housing and the pressure plate. There is a thrust bearing in there that is meant to allow the drum to rotate on its own.

Note that if there is a thrust problem, it also is a problem when winching and the tab that locates the clutch will bend, the clutch spin and break off the hose.

Other things that stop free spool are clutches full of dirt etc, brake band adjustment, little springs missing from clutch pack, and clutch pack set too tight less than .070"

Neilo

millcreek40

On the 225 I had. You could adjust the freespool by turning the nut on the cylinder that is right in front of the winch
Two 240A Timberjacks, Mack log truck, Multitek 2040 wood processor.

Neilo

bushmechanic

X2 on the better explanation! You pulled the clutch cylinder so did you take the winch clutches out or leave them in place? Did you mess with the adjustment screws on the cover? Did you use the newer updated kit in the cylinder or did you put back the u-cup seals? 

Logger003

I put the update kit in it , no I did not touch any of the clutch packs inside, I pulled off the outside cover with the four adjusting screws in it and removed the cylinder. I did not do anything with the brake

Logger003

I should add that all this work took place out side at the work place so less than ideal conditions

Neilo

As the pressure plate was off, sounds like it is too tight.

Set it by taking cover off winch, put gearbox in neutral so winch PTO doesn't rotate. Run machine. Put control into winch (tie it there or use friend) measure clearance from pressure plate to 4 nuts.

Neilo

You can increase clearance a bit. It is a timing issue so more clearance is slower engagement and load more likely to drop

Logger RK

Anyone know where to get the inner hose for a Can Car 20 winch? Off a C5 TF. Its flat style fitting,like a front auto brake line. Other end I think is 1/8 pipe. Anyone know how much pressure would it need to be able to hold? Its the one that engages it to winch in.

Upnorth

If the internal clutches bands have any residue, oil, etc on them at all, it will make free spool very stiff. I rebuilt one years ago with the aid of a manual. Nothing to it. I removed all the bands, used aerosol brake cleaner to clean them and replaced the old leather seal with the updated seal kit. 100% after that. I cannot recall the details of the job well enough to give direction, but find a manual and it's easy. Note that even a trace amount of oil on the banks will cause grief and profanity. I can message photos of the applicable manual pages if you need them. Good luck.
TJ 205
TJ 240E
TJ 350A x 3
TJ 230D x 4

Logger003

Sorry I took so long to get back to everyone on this issue. I ended up hauling it home and took it apart again and went deeper into it and cleaned everything up and it seems to be working better

Thank You Sponsors!