iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buckeye tree

Started by 123maxbars, February 20, 2016, 01:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

I have a large Buckeye tree on my property that is ready to harvest. I have never came across this species before.

Anyone with any experience with it/suggestions? First thought was put it on my woodmizer and hope for the best.
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

bkaimwood

A buckwhat tree? :D Never heard of it, but someone who has is bound to be along shortly.
bk

WV Sawmiller

I have lots of them on my place. They often grow back off the stumps in large groups of 3-6. Old timers always kept one of the nuts in their right pocket for good luck and to ward off various ailments. They don't get too big. About 18" dbh is about as big as I ever saw. I think they are the same thing some people call horse chestnuts. The nuts are supposed to be poison but I think local Indians ground and leached them like acorns and ate them. Squirrels and chipmunks don't eat them - sometimes part of one till they get sick and learn better. Reason some folks said one side was not poison as never more than one side chewed. Biggest one I ever saw was on the White House lawn. Not sure if it was same species we have here. Ohio must have plenty as they are listed as the Buckeye state.

I have cut a few for lumber and lots for trashy firewood. They are very soft white wood. I hear carvers like them. I cut some up into sheeting and sawed a couple into halves and put legs on them for benches. They are very light when dry. Not very rot resistant or particularly strong. I cut a few 4/4 and use them for sheeting on my barn. They cut easily with a 10 degree blade. If there are carvers near you, you might contact them and see if they want them for blanks and cut them into blocks accordingly.

Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

YellowHammer

I've milled my share, and just came in from planing some getting ready to put on the rack.  As said, it is an extremely light weight, white wood.  It's about like basswood, very soft.  It cuts like Styrofoam, and the band has a tendency to tear and rip the wood fibers.  No big deal, but the sawn surface looks "torn" as much as sawn. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Slingshot

Quote from: bkaimwood on February 20, 2016, 01:24:54 PM
A buckwhat tree? :D Never heard of it, but someone who has is bound to be along shortly.

A buckeye tree is what grows buckeyes.....

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!