iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking at Property

Started by Darrel, February 17, 2016, 08:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darrel

My wife and I spent the last four days looking at property near Bonanza Oregon with the intent of buying and building a house from the trees on the land.  Here are a few pics.

Too many junipers and very few pine.  Juniper won't make good houses. 

These next several pics are of a nice place but there is a neighbor looking down on it.
Look closely and you can see one of Bambi's friends.

Note the window.

The chihuahuas like it but my wife didn't like being looked down on by neighbors.

Now for a few pics of our favorite spot. It is for sale by owner.

A look at some old bark

Vera, dwarfed by the trees.

Zooming in a little closer.

We looked at quite a few places, some of which were not worth taking pictures.  One place we looked at was 21.6 acres of rocks with lots of Juniper trees.  If I want juniper, I can get it at very little cost of national forest, no reason to by a whole bunch of them for big bucks, even if I do get free rocks.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

scgargoyle

Good luck on the property search. We bought 7 acres 9 years ago, and are just finishing up the house. The way our land sits, we have total privacy, thanks to big hardwoods in all directions.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

WDH

Sometimes, when you are ready to buy, it is hard to wait it out to find that perfect place. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Darrel

We looked at one place that I didn't show pictures of that would be our second choice out of all we looked at.  It is heavily forested with Pondarosa pine and about 10% juniper growing right in with the pine.  These juniper have been forced to compete with the pine for sunlight and as a consequence are straight and nearly as tall as the pine.  If this is the place we end up with, some of those junipers would end up as flooring.
1992 LT40HD

WDH

Ponderosa pine is like our slash pine in the South.  Looks very similar, except that slash pine is a good bit denser.  Both get that orange platy bark when old and mature.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Thanks for that description WDH.  I saw some last week in Louisville, Ms, and was not familiar with Slash Pine.  I kept thinking Ponderosa Pine but I knew that it could not be.  Now I know.

Mostly what I see is Shortleaf with a sprinkling of Loblolly and Longleaf.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Darrel

There are two types of pine that are known as Pondarosa pine after it is in log or lumber format. I'm sure that there are those here that know more about it than I do, but here is the way I was taught by my Dad.

The first has a dark bark that never turns orange but is platy.  Its cones feel sharp when you hold them in your hand. This variety is denser then the one I will describe next.

The other, Dad called called Jeffery pine, and has a dark bark when young but when mature turns orange and platy. This bark when picked off the tree almost has a vanilla scent, especially on a warm day. This tree also grows bigger that the first. Also the cones of this tree do not feel sharp when held in the hand.  The properties I looked at had both.
1992 LT40HD

beenthere

I believe Jeffery and Ponderosa are sold as Ponderosa on the market and not differentiated. Fits close with your explanation.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

clearcut

Prickly Ponderosa and Gentle Jeffery, very difficult to distinguish otherwise.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

samandothers

Nice looking land.  Good luck with the shopping, hope you can find what you are after!

By the way nice looking truck.   ;D

Darrel

It has been brought to my attention that I need to take a close look at zoning regulations and home owner association bylaws and such to make sure that I will be able to run my sawmill business on the property that I buy. And now while I'm thinking about it, I also need to make sure that I can build the type of house that I want. This is something I was aware of but it looks like I need to do a bit more research before I lay my money on the table.
1992 LT40HD

samandothers

That is good advise.   Many developments even those with large lots may have restrictions on what or if you can cut.  Running a business in a residential subdivision may also be part of the by laws or having 'farm' equipment.   If you are working with an agent they can probably help run down some of that detail.

ncsawyer

Many times these restrictive covenants are listed on the current deed if these covenants have already been put in place. 

2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

Darrel

Most of the lots I looked at were >5 acres, a couple were >20.  I learned through investigation today that on these lots, hobby farming is allowed along with operating equipment associated with hobby farming. The question is this.  Is a portable sawmill considered farm equipment. I know that a portable sawmill is considered "an implement of husbandry" in some states (California being one of them) and therefore does not need a license plate and tags. Looks like more research is needed to see what is required in Oregon.
1992 LT40HD

samandothers

If you sell stuff from you land or farm is it still considered a 'hobby' farm?

Darrel

Quote from: samandothers on February 21, 2016, 10:08:02 AM
If you sell stuff from you land or farm is it still considered a 'hobby' farm?

Yes you can, but this is where it gets confusing, what are you selling, how much and to whom are you selling it?  One can have 20 small animals per acre and only 2 large animals. But I don't know how many medium sized animals one can have because they aren't mentioned. Cattle are large, rabbits are small but what about goats or pigs. Pot belly pigs?  Such things are left up to interpretation as is whether or not a portable sawmill is farm equipment.
1992 LT40HD

sandhills

I'm not at all trying to be a smart ash here, but is "don't ask, don't tell" involved at all there?  If there aren't any complaints from neighbors, I wouldn't be to concerned, then again I get along with all our's and we pretty much all do the same thing for a living.  I do wish you all the best in your search and just like a shop, it will never be big enough  :)

Darrel

Quote from: sandhills on February 22, 2016, 12:37:38 AM
I'm not at all trying to be a smart ash here, but is "don't ask, don't tell" involved at all there?  If there aren't any complaints from neighbors, I wouldn't be to concerned, then again I get along with all our's and we pretty much all do the same thing for a living.  I do wish you all the best in your search and just like a shop, it will never be big enough  :).

Exactly. However, at some point if and when a neighbor does complain, I want the law on my my side.  For example, a year ago my son put in frost fans to keep his blueberries from freezing. Neighbors complained and the bottom line is that the frost fans are running again this year because this is a farm and a frost fan is farm equipment. 

For those not familiar with frost fans, these frost fans are powered by Ford triton V10's, have 20' props, come on when temps drop to near feeezing, sound like helicopters and there are 23 of them.
1992 LT40HD

sandhills

Point very well taken, around here it usually doesn't matter until a new neighbor decides to build then complains about grain bin fans/cattle smell/hog smell/ irrigation units, etc..  Maybe they should stay in town so to speak  ???.

grweldon

Personally, I wouldn't want ANY restrictions on property that I owned, or the very least possible.  I get a bit irritated when people try to tell me what I can and can't do on land that I purchased or am purchasing.  Maybe that's not possible where you are looking?
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Darrel on February 21, 2016, 12:11:17 AM
Most of the lots I looked at were >5 acres, a couple were >20.  I learned through investigation today that on these lots, hobby farming is allowed along with operating equipment associated with hobby farming. The question is this.  Is a portable sawmill considered farm equipment. I know that a portable sawmill is considered "an implement of husbandry" in some states (California being one of them) and therefore does not need a license plate and tags. Looks like more research is needed to see what is required in Oregon.

A little OT - When I asked a CHP officer about plating my mill if I put wheels on it his response is - if it has wheels on the road, it has to have a plate - end of story.  So I carried my mill on my flatbed.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

samandothers

Yeah covenants are good to check out.  We were checking out a place years ago that were over 5 acre lots but yet if you cut something over 5 inches you had to pass it by the home owners association.     No thanks!

Darrel

Quote from: ljohnsaw on February 22, 2016, 11:01:30 AM
Quote from: Darrel on February 21, 2016, 12:11:17 AM

A little OT - When I asked a CHP officer about plating my mill if I put wheels on it his response is - if it has wheels on the road, it has to have a plate - end of story.  So I carried my mill on my flatbed.

My knowledge of this comes from back in the mid eighties when I was a schoolbus driver in California. Our textbook for the bus driving class was the vehicle code and at that time plates weren't required. Also, currently a wood splitter on wheels does not need plates. Plates on a mill might save you some hassles but unless things have really changed in the last 30 years (and they very well may have) you would win in court.
1992 LT40HD

Darrel

Found a place we are going to be making an offer on. Both Pondarosa and Jeffery pine with a few junipers thrown in for good measure. On a hill side but not too steep a well is already in, but no pump yet.  There is a beautiful building site with another site for a shop and a place for a garden. 
1992 LT40HD

samandothers

I hope you were able to create the offer and it goes as you wish.  I gather by your posting time it may be hard to sleep given the excitement?

Thank You Sponsors!