iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT40HD...uh oh the wifes gonna....

Started by OlJarhead, February 17, 2016, 02:59:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

So I posted a bit ago that I'm getting an LT35HD (sorry for the confusion on asking about my LT10)...and just got off the phone with WM and now might just pull the trigger on an LT40HD instead because they have a big sale going on and have one IN STOCK for me now!

Holy cow!  8) :o

Didn't really think of going that route because I thought they were about $10k more but the sale brings it down to about $4k difference...and I can handle that ;)

So, if the wife doesn't kill me I'll be on the road soon to get a new mill :)
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

LittleJohn

If we dont hear back from you in a few weeks, with pictures of the new baby.  We will know to come over with a shovel and start looking for disturbed dirt on your property ;)

OlJarhead

Quote from: LittleJohn on February 17, 2016, 03:01:17 PM
If we dont hear back from you in a few weeks, with pictures of the new baby.  We will know to come over with a shovel and start looking for disturbed dirt on your property ;)

LOL or a large pile of sawdust I'll be buried under ;)

ladylake

At least your not buying a new $40000 pickup.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

OlJarhead

LOL that's next!  shhhhhh

Fortunately my F150 Supercrew 4x4 is paid for and will pull the mill but if things work out and I get enough work to pay for the mill (no need to earn an income from it) then the next will be a bigger truck -- besides, I need one to pull my tractor too ;)

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

OlJarhead

Quote from: Peter Drouin on February 17, 2016, 05:04:37 PM
Good for you. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Your thread really inspired me actually!  I've been wading through it daily while going through the process of deciding what to get and pretty much figure a big mill can pay for itself if you get the work to keep it making sawdust....now to concentrate on doing just that so the wife doesn't bury me under the sawdust I plan to make! ha!

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

terrifictimbersllc

Good for you.  Now let's move on .  You need a Super, and don't get it without FAOs.   :)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

OlJarhead

FAO's?

LOL no super for me today!  But perhaps in a few years if the LT40HD pays for itself!

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

OlJarhead

Hmmm I'm pushing it now with the LT40 but am wondering how much different they make vs the cost?

terrifictimbersllc

I think it's about $900 extra.  $1550 plus shipping (maybe $200) if you do it later.  Cost difference is that you're not buying the standard jacks and avoiding a later shipping charge. 

These are my opinions & experience using standard outriggers 14 years and having the FAOs for 1 year now.  Saves time on setup.  Lets you adjust mill for stability and rail straightness throughout the day, even if the head weight is on a foot.  Can just dial it in.  Really can't do the same thing by shimming under standard jacks for various reasons.  Adjustment of the FAOs allows you to cut long timbers and cants to 1/16" consistency at either end if you want to.   Also ergonomics of adjusting some of the jacks, or any jack with weight on it,  is much better with the FAOs.  I was suspicious of them and put off the purchase for a long time. 

WV Sawmiller

OJH,

Hope this works out for you. Will provide you a few more options I know you will like such as Accuset vs Simple set which gives you more settings. What engine option are you getting? The larger you get the more you will appreciate it later. I have bogged down my 25 Kohler a few times when pushed it too hard in big, hard wood. I understand that is hard to do with a diesel. Keep us informed.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

OlJarhead

Thanks

I mill about 98% pine and fir with not a lot of chance at milling much hardwood other than the odd yard tree so went with the 26hp injected motor (standard).

It will seem like a Ferrari to me! lol  Heck, my 10hp motor seemed pretty fast until I pushed it.

Figure simpleset will have to do (gotta save the bucks somewhere) and regular outriggers too.  It was a little bit of a push to get the wife to agree to go with the sale priced LT40HD over the 35 which was $4k less but she'll get over it! ha!

This is a part time business part time hobby for me so I think it will be fine and I am moving up from the LT10!

Seavee

I think that's a smart idea. Upgrade while the price is right. I'm still waiting on my mill. When I ordered I was told 6 weeks. Looks more  like it's going to be 10-11 weeks. I went with the LT50 on sale because the price was almost the same as the lt40.
Wood mizer lt50 47hp yanmar Diesel  Sthil MS311, Ms661 MS200T, 029 farm boss  and a New Holland T4  75hp.

Peter Drouin

Good move I think. The last 40hd I had with a 24 horse gas on it. I use 1¼x45x10° for blades. The 7° were not out yet. I did try the1¼x 55 x10° on W Pine and cut nice and flat, But hardwood, the 24 horse was not enough giddy up to pull the blade.
Maybe a 1¼x45x7°. I think you will have to play with blades to find what works for you.
For me, I use only one kind of blade. 1¼x55x7°.  Some use 4 or 5 different blades for different things. I'm not very smart, so one kind/ size blade works for me.  :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

scully

from what I recall I have seen you post some prety good size jobs etc. that you have done . I always said to myself " Man that guy needs a "40" . The 35 is sweet and I see guys doing huge things with them but just my opinion you are way beyond that ! Good luck ! You will know you did the right thing the first time that blade bites the butt !
I bleed orange  .

Kipper

I think the 35 hp Kohler is only $800 more. Thats quite a bit more motor for only $800 and its not something easily added later if needed. Just my .02...
LT40HD, Cat Diesel
New Holland L783
Kubota BX23
Metavic 1400XL
2016 Dodge 3500
2007 Dodge 3500 (Dump)
Belsaw 802 Edger
Too many trailers to count and all Stihl Saws!!

Dave Shepard

I'd bet that whatever is in stock may get preference. ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Kipper on February 17, 2016, 08:37:49 PM
I think the 35 hp Kohler is only $800 more. Thats quite a bit more motor for only $800 and its not something easily added later if needed. Just my .02...
I agree.
Quote from: Dave Shepard on February 17, 2016, 08:40:52 PM
I'd bet that whatever is in stock may get preference. ;)
Good point but I'm betting the mill has to be built while the motor just has to be installed - probably an over simplification but well worth asking.
Quote from: OlJarhead on February 17, 2016, 07:46:17 PM
Thanks

I mill about 98% pine and fir with not a lot of chance at milling much hardwood other than the odd yard tree so went with the 26hp injected motor (standard).

It will seem like a Ferrari to me! lol  Heck, my 10hp motor seemed pretty fast until I pushed it.

Figure simpleset will have to do (gotta save the bucks somewhere) and regular outriggers too.  It was a little bit of a push to get the wife to agree to go with the sale priced LT40HD over the 35 which was $4k less but she'll get over it! ha!

This is a part time business part time hobby for me so I think it will be fine and I am moving up from the LT10!

Sounds like wife is still basically on board. I was going to get a manual mill and my wife convinced me I needed the hydraulics. Best move I made was listening to her. I'm sure you will be thrilled with the new rig.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

samandothers

We love spending your money!

Good on you for the 40..... now supersize that order?

Brucer

I'm going to be a contrarian here (as usual). A few hundred dollars here or there may not sound like much (to some of you :D), but Eric's already planning to go $4000 over budget. Adding another $1700 in options means his deficit would increase by 42%.

FAO's are nice. I couldn't afford them when I bought my mill (and the ones they had then weren't nearly as good as the ones they have now), so I made do without. One thing I did when I first got my mill was to saw a bunch of 4" wide shim stock at various thicknesses: 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 1" & 2". With these I could level my mill to within 1/16". The secret was to always start with  a 1" thick piece of 6" x 8" material on the ground.

After I switched from mobile to stationary work (and theoretically didn't need FAO's) I bought a couple for the ends of the mill so I could compensate for any minor settling as the ground froze or thawed. Of course by then I could afford them.

There are a few topics on the Forum about home-built FAO's. Eric's already shown us what he can do in the fabrication department with his LT10 Super.

The fuel-injected Kohlers are a solid, reliable engine. Sure, more horsepower is nice, but once again, $$$. If I ever figure I need (not want) more power, then it'll be time to upgrade the mill anyway :).
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Darrel

My LT40 makes me happy, you'll be glad for the extra width of cut you get with the LT40 over the 35.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Magicman

Congrats on your upgrade decision.  Now your operation is really underway.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!