iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wallowing in the snow

Started by 62oliver, February 17, 2016, 10:29:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

62oliver

Had the 240 out yesterday, we have a fair bit of snow now, 2 - 3'+ in some places, I was surprised how much trouble I had getting around, got 24.5 x 32s on my machine with chains. Thought they would not be great, but it was awful. Think I will give it a month or 2, guess I'll hafta do my skidding earlier in the winter :D   hh
Husqvarna 266, Case 90xt, JD310C, TJ240E, 02 Duramax

grassfed

3 feet of soft unpacked snow is going to be slow going but if you can chug through it will pack down and make a great trail. I usually run my trails once with the blade up and no hitch during the warmest part of the day and then let it sit over night. After that it gets better with each pass and deep snow trails pack down nice and smooth so you can pull faster. My trails are bare, frozen and rough as heck right now.
Mike

Spartan

you got ice studs for chains?  I'm in the same stuff.  Had ice cleats on the front (don't ask why) and rings on the rear.  Sucked.  Had to switch them to get anywhere.  Now I can go froward through the stuff, but backing up stinks.  wish I had rings on all 4.  2-3' is slow, especially for a light machine.  Don't drag down your up trail (trail you use unloaded).  It will frustrate you to no end.

SwampDonkey

I remember working on a site that was mainly hardwood forest, but had a dip in the terrain where it was fir ground. In the hardwood it was good going,  2 feet of layered snow. Down in the dip, the snow was as deep as the tires. Only went near there once, just once.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

chevytaHOE5674

Been real cold UP here with 3'+ snow on the ground so the snow is like sugar. Our CTL equipment with over the tire tracks and chains is having the same issues. Forwarder isn't so bad since he has a trail packed and froze down and tops to drive on. In the processor I spend a lot of time somedays churning through snow just trying to get anyplace.

62oliver

Was out again today, a bit better running on my tracks from a couple days ago, was getting softer in the afternoon, at round 0 degrees C. Working on a trail to "the back 40", so not too bad going in the bush, not really much skidding, just picking my way thru the bush. So much fun, I should have got one of these machines 30 years ago!!! :) :)
Husqvarna 266, Case 90xt, JD310C, TJ240E, 02 Duramax

SwampDonkey

Awfully tough here this winter.  ;D :D

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!