iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer Turner Claw

Started by Rougespear, February 15, 2016, 10:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rougespear

I'm wondering if someone may be able to snap a quick close-up side-profile photo of the claw on the WM turner?  I'm trying to understand its size and without seeing one in person its a little harder.  I looks about 6" long... that about right?  Thanks!
Custom built Cook's-style hydraulic bandmill.

drobertson

Not at the mill and don't have one handy, but I'm sure it's longer than 6" more like 8" or better, at least 6" from the biters to the back face as well, and maybe 6" between the two sides.  Sorry no pics,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

homesteader1972

I am not sure how to post a link, but do a search on "home-made hydraulics" by pineywoods. On reply #41 there are diagrams of his claw turner, and it looks to be 6". Maybe a stock WM part is longer, my mill is at a jobsite and I am at home, so I am not sure.
Woodmizer LT40HD20G

pineywoods

The size of the claw on the pineywoods turner varies all over the place, depending on the needs/desires of the builder. It bolts on so can be changed to meet different uses. Mine's about 7 inches long with 3 teeth, some are smaller with 2 teeth and a flat top. Keep in mind that the claw also serves as a clamp..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Rougespear

Pineywoods: thanks for the input... I have planned my turner after yours but adjusted it some to using only a single lifting cylinder.  Thanks for the inspiration!

Kbeitz

I think this is what your lookin for ...
Not my picture. I was posted here on another post.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

pineywoods

Quote from: Rougespear on February 16, 2016, 10:13:18 AM
Pineywoods: thanks for the input... I have modeled my turner after yours but adjusted it some to using only a single lifting cylinder.  Thanks for the inspiration!
Rougespear, the original pineywoods desigh had only a single lift cylinder. That's not enough..Not enough room for a larger cylinder, hence the dual lift cylinders...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

WV Sawmiller

RSpear,

Not sure why you are asking but pix looks like mine. One of the very few things I don't like about my WM LT35HD is the claw. I think WM should have had 2 about 4-5 feet apart as my single claw often tends to lift that rear end rather than turning the log in many cases. Not sure if other manufacturers install them in pairs or also use just a single claw. There have been other threads where people talked about putting extensions on their side supports I assume to compensate for this same problem. Good luck on your project.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Rougespear

If I have planned properly, I can fit in a 3" bore cylinder.

york

rougespear,your design looks really good-the main track way rails,how big are they? You will be putting a lot of stress where the claw turner is mounted....
Albert

Rougespear

Main rails are 2x6" x 3/16" wall rectangle tube, 43" parallel to eachother.  Perpendicular to those rails are two more 2x6" x 3/16" rectangle tube cross members 30" apart... essentially boxing the turner within a 43" x 30" square.  The turner will mount to the frame on a piece of 1/4" plate bolted on the four corners with Grade8 bolts.  Is there enough force to twist that rectangle tube?

The frame is welded but the turner is not (just have the steel).  I am now concerned about Pineywoods' comments saying a single lift cylinder is not enough...   

york

Bump up the dia. of your cylinder.....Say 2.5 in.
Albert

Jeff

I have an actual WM claw laying behind my barn.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!