iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

coal

Started by coxy, February 15, 2016, 06:25:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

can you or does anyone burn wood in a outside coal burner like a CB 

venice

You can burn wood in any kind of thing hat is burning coal. BUT it needs a different air management. Is the manufacturer of your burner still around? Might be a question for them whether the burner can handle wood.

venice

coxy

ya there still here   i just wanted to get a little info from some other people if they do it and how it works for them

barbender

My Heatmor has an option of different grates that you need to install that break up the clinker, if I remember correctly. I never looked into it as I have lots of wood, but no coal. If I lived where my uncle does in the Powder River basin in NE Wyoming and I could shovel it out of the crick banks, that would be another matter ;)
Too many irons in the fire

venice

We've been fueling an old passive radiation system designed for coal, with wood with out any problems. Your cycles will be shorter and you have to clean your burner and shimney more often because of creosote.

venice

Gearbox

The Crown Royal is advertised as wood coal or corn cobs . It has under and over draft air . They told me they have until 2020 with the EPA on there stove because they can burn coal . Great stove clean burning and stainless steel .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Corley5

I've got a Heatmor on the farm that Grandma bought with the coal shaker grate option.  We wanted the shakers for burning wood ;) :)  My Heat Master SS which is a clone of the Crown Royal, long story there, has shakers for coal and cob corn.  I wanted the shakers ;D  I've also heard that OWBs that are coal capable are EPA exempt.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

stratton

Coxy, I know there are several members who burn coal in there units.Ill do a search and come back with some names.My indoor D.S.machine model Aquagem 3200 loves coal. Nightly mix of 4 sticks and 2 shovels works well in my boiler,grates with shakers and under air is a must.

stratton

Coxy, Sorry I misread your post. The answer is yes, wood can be burned in a coal unit.Most of air comes from under grate instead of over fire air. My boiler came with a (BURN PLATE) the purpose is to slow down the under fire air.Sorry for the confusion, its 230 am.,just on the wood boiler web sites feeding my addiction.

coxy

Quote from: Corley5 on February 15, 2016, 09:55:13 PM
  I've also heard that OWBs that are coal capable are EPA exempt.
your killing me  :D :D  so the only place it gets air is under the fire not from the side or a door draft and there must be an ash pan

Corley5

I was also told that OWBs for agricultural use are exempt :-\  I wasn't told what qualified as an agricultural use.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

coxy

found out today that CB does not make a coal stove there in the process of doing it and it will be coal only there is something there doing to the stove that you cant burn wood in it  :-\  i was told that in NY i don't fall under the ag exempt law even know logging is agriculture  ??? ??? :-\ :-\ >:( >:(

stratton

Hey Coxy, Check out the other site (Outdoor Woodfurnace Info.) I started a thread ,got a couple of responses for you. Luke

AfraidChocker

Some, but not all coal stoves/boilers will burn wood.

I am a logger and have been for 20 years, but I prefer to burn coal for a variety of reasons. I won't get into that, but it all depends on the stove design. I have had some that burn wood, some that don't.

The biggest difference is that wood likes to burn from the top down, where as coal ANY air on top of the fire will put it out, it needs air coming up through the coal bed to burn. It is how you regulate the draft that determines how hot your fire is. A lot of people try burning coal like wood and get frustrated, but once you learn it, my word it is like a diesel engine, fuel...air...the thing never goes out.

The one thing to keep in mind is, purpose built is always best. My boiler is a wood/coal boiler and it does neither really well. It is a New Yorker WC 90.
As a sheep farmer, I have no intentions of arriving at the pearly gates in a well preserved body, rather I am going to slide into heaven sideways with my Kubota tractor, kick the manure out of my muck boots, and loudly proclaim, "Whoo Hoo, another Sheppard has just arrived!"

Thank You Sponsors!