iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Screen Capture

Started by beenthere, February 15, 2016, 01:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

Screen capture is taking something off the monitor screen and using it either for a printed form, or in file format, or sending it off in an email.
Presently, I have been using the Windows software program "Paint" to do that. The new "Paint" is much more powerful than the old versions of Paint, and I just press the "Print Screen" button on my keypad, bring up "Paint" in another window and Paste (alt-V) that image of the screen. From there, it can be resized, cropped, drawn over, text added, etc. and then can be saved in a file, printed, or even emailed to someone.

Today, I learned that Windows also has a "Snipping Tool" that will do much the same process plus additional features.
Found a YT video that tells about how to set up and use this "Snipping Tool" to capture screen images or parts of a screen image. Just an FYI if interested.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiyYrRpbIcQ
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

footer

I use screen shots a LOT at work at my day job, and I something called Greenshot way more than windows snipping tool.
SnagIt, is also a really good one, but its not free.

GrahamW

ctrl + print screen captures the full screen.
Alt + print screen captures the active window

Regards

Graham

Kbeitz

The best paint program that I have found is Paint Shop Pro V7
This program can be had for under $20 on E-bay.
It works great for screen captures.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

drobertson

bt, I had no idea, pretty cool function,, thanks for sharing this,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Brucer

I use PrtScn a lot to do screen grabs, but I didn't know about the ALT + PrtScn. It works great.

Thanks, Graham.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

John Mc

The Mac OS has a similar function, just search "screen capture" form the help menu, or use the "Grab" utility that is included with the OS.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

footer

The difference in the Print Screen programs like Greenshot, and SnagIt, and the windows features - ctrl + print screen, and Alt + Print Screen, is, with the programs, you can select the area you want to capture. You are not limited to the whole screen, or the active window. You can also, do things, like Draw circles, or boxes around something. Insert Text, or arrows, or whatever. They are a lot more than just capturing the screen. They also allow you do directly save the image to a file. So, it would be like capturing the screen, and inserting it into editing software, like mentioned above, and editing it, all within the same simple program.

beenthere

footer
Example of what can be done with the Paint software that comes with Windows. 
Here is a screen capture of the Paint version, with the file possibilities up on the left.. Save As, Print, Email, etc.

Very flexible, and can add lines, drawings, text, colors, etc.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

footer

yeah, I understand beenthere, I guess the point I was trying to make is, some of that functionality exists in some screen capture applications, so you can save the step of going to another program like paint. Sometimes, I might be doing hundreds of screen captures a day, and it is a lot faster doing all the stuff from one screen. Im not trying to tell anyone how to do something, im just saying there are other options out there.

Thank You Sponsors!