iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Greatings from Te-Pito-O-Te-Henug

Started by Lorenzo, February 15, 2016, 11:47:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lorenzo

Meaning Center of the World, or Navel of the World.

A name believed to have been given to the Island by Polynesian settlers arriving in Approx 300AD on the worlds most remote inhabited Island better known as Easter Island.
Named by the Dutch explorer Jacob Roggeveen who landed there on Easter in 1722.

Ahu Tongariki at sunrise.  I got up at 5 AM to get this photo however sunrise wasen't until about two hours later.

Magicman

If you are there and took that picture, then you are indeed a fortunate traveler.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sprucebunny

If you are There, we need more pictures !!!  :D Lots more !  8)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Lorenzo

The Moai behind me is Hinaraiu.  This sight is the Rano Raraku Quary.  There are 397 Moai in this area alone.

Lorenzo

Anakena Beach,   Prier to my visit, I always figured pictures like this one were enhanced but I can assure you it's real. It is even more beautiful then pictures.

Lorenzo

Lorenzo

3000  horses roam free on the Island, This herd was near the Hanga  Tetenga ruins, enroute to the Rano Raraku Quary

Lorenzo

My transportation for the week with my SCUBA gear strapped on the front.

Lorenzo

A close up of two Moai at Anakena Beach. You can see that their eye sockets have been relieved for the insertion of precisely carved white coral.  It is widely believed that the eye sockets were not carved until the Moai were set in place on their platforms thus giving them the ability to look to the heavens , bringing their spirit to life.

None of the 397 Moai in the Rano Raraku Quary have their eye sockets carved thus are unfinished.
Some of the original white coral eyes have been removed from the island by thieves and some are in museums.
I spent a couple days in Chili and viewed the ones they have on display in Santago.

Lorenzo

I could go on and on about this mysterious and magical place, It is full of surprises.

Anyone here on Forestry Forum who has had an organ transplant might be interested to know that The Drug known as Rapamycin is an Immunosuppressant used throughout the world to prevent rejection of organs after transplants, and has been particularly effective in the transplant of Kidneys. It was discovered within bacteria from soil samples taken from the far side of Rano Kau in 1965 and given the name Rapamycin due to it's origin in Rapa Nui.  It is now produced synthetically, and often prescribed to patients for it's antifungal and antitumor capabilities.

More recently it has been tested for the treatment of certain cancers and while still at the very early stages of experimentation, some of the initial results have been very positive. A group of Scientist from Harvard recently discovered that Rapamycin is also able to slow down the ageing process of some single celled organisms, causing a media frenzy that the key to eternal youth had been found on Easter Island, but so far im still getting older by the day. Hope you enjoyed a small look at where I celebrated my birthday. Larry

Magicman

Thank you for such an in-depth description of some of your travels and interesting trivia.    :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Deese

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

sprucebunny

Thanks very much for the pics  8) 8)

Are there mostly beaches or mostly rocks along the coast ?
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

sandhills

Thanks for the trip!  What part of Nebraska are you from?

Lorenzo

Quote from: sprucebunny on February 16, 2016, 12:14:19 PM
Thanks very much for the pics  8) 8)

Are there mostly beaches or mostly rocks along the coast ?

Only two small beaches,  Coast line is rough and unapproachable with an almost constant surf.

Lorenzo

Quote from: sandhills on February 16, 2016, 12:53:51 PM
Thanks for the trip!  What part of Nebraska are you from?

Dorchester,   Near Lincoln.

I see your in the sandhills?   We count sheep for the Nebraska Big Game Society in Crawford, Fort Robinson area of the sandhills.

sandhills

We live NW of Albion, very eastern edge of the sandhills, we run most our cattle in the Bartlett/Ericson area, I love going west and the country you work in is beautiful.  I like the mules too  ;).

coxy

I saw things I would have never seen in my life time    thank you for the pics  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

sandsawmill14

Quote from: coxy on February 20, 2016, 04:18:57 PM
I saw things I would have never seen in my life time    thank you for the pics  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
x2 and things i never new existed :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

drobertson

Very cool pictures Lorenzo,, I saw a documentary about this island not long ago,, they claim the statues were to ward off invaders?  That is a long way from home,, thanks for sharing,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Jeff

The last show I saw on them showed that many of the heads have complete bodies buried under them.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

samandothers

Thanks you for sharing the photos and information!

Thank You Sponsors!