iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stove won't burn to ashes

Started by coachgrd, February 14, 2016, 07:10:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coachgrd

Hi everyone, first time caller here, so be gentle. 

I'm a bit miffed this season, as for the first time since I've have my QuadraFire Step Top stove, I have to clean it out every morning.  In the past, I only had to do it maybe once every 3-4 days.  As it is now, I have chunks of burned wood left in the stove, rather than fine ash. 

The wood I'm using was on the ground for 2 years before being cut and split. Because cleaning my stack of creosote is very convenient where its situated, I do it 3-4 times a season.  Any ideas what may be the problem?

Thanks in advance...
Gary

brendonv

Although not as much as yours, but im left with ash after cutting out the stove of air. Obviously this happenes because lack of oxygen.  I burn 24-7 in winter, maybe clean out once a week barely, moreso once every two.

Burn a hot fire, mix it with a rake or poker, and its dust.

Maybe your using it with damper and air inlets almost closed?
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

OH logger

what kind of stove you got brendon v? what species wood you burnin??
john

47sawdust

If your wood isn't dry you will not get a complete burn.If it is starved for air the same is true.I heat only with wood and try to run my stoves on the hot side,minimum 350°.Wood does not dry well in log length.After 40 years of wood heat I am happiest with well seasoned wood.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

r.man

I am confused, are you closing the air inlet, letting your stove go out and then finding unburnt wood in the morning? If that is the scenario why not just leave everything in it and relight the stove or let the stove run a bit hotter until it dies out.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

breederman

Sure sounds like it needs more air.
Together we got this !

sandsawmill14

i have had that happen rarely but never saw it as a problem as the charcoals make it so easy to start the fire back just a a little paper and its going again :)  i try hard not to let it go out but when it does normally ashes are fine enough they fall right through the grate into the ash pan :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

brendonv

Quote from: OH logger on February 14, 2016, 07:36:19 AM
what kind of stove you got brendon v? what species wood you burnin??

Vermont castings vigilant in the house, and an all
Nighter box moe in the garage.

This year burning Ash cut down September-October and split December 15th.  :D. Past years mixed hardwoods cut in spring/summer burnt same year.

Mix ash twice a day to stir it up and complete the burn. Fire never goes out once started and dies out in spring.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

sandsawmill14

i should have also said that i burn at least 95% green oak, hickory, beech, and ash and just a little erc for kindling and never burn pine. the reason its green is almost all is scrap from the mill and logging jobs :) i havent cut a tree down for firewood in 6 or 8 years other than if i needed to remove a tree and cut it into firewood to clean up mess. dont get me wrong dry wood is great im just to lazy to cut a year ahead ;D :-[ ::)

TheSaint68

Wood has too much moisture, pick up a cheap moisture meter split a piece and pin it in the center perpendicular across the grain and you will have your answer.

Split hardwood likes sunshine, a breeze, and around 18 months and it will then perform as expected.

doctorb

My 0.02$ -

Logs that have been down for two years that have not been cut and split is still very green.  Next time you prep you wood, get a moisture meter and check the inside surface of a split piece.  It'll be 23-25% minimum.  How long after you split are you using it for fuel.

If you have to clean your chimney 3-4 times a year, you are creating a lot of creosote.  Moist fuel can do that, for sure.  But how you burn can also contribute to it.  If your stove stays turned down most of the time, then you are not getting complete burn of the gases of combustion and creosote buildup occurs.

So, I guess I strongly agree with TheSaint68.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

jwilly3879

I have a Quadrafire 4300 with ACC and if the wood hasn't been split and stacked for at least a year mine will coal up also.

When home I burn smaller splits and don't fill it up. I also leave the rear air open and it helps a lot.

6 month wood will burn but leave a bunch of coals.

They are a great stove but demand dry wood for best burn.

beenthere

I'd say from my experience with similar burning results; too much wood and not enough air..  and moisture content will add to the frustration.

Some forced air into the charcoal is a potential solution.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sandsawmill14

its something about the stove/burn causing it to happen. as i said i burn almost all green wood some hasnt been down but 3 or 4 days and i have never had to clean flue during the season i cean it in the fall before i start the first fire and thats it, BUT i am sure the type stove has a lot to do with it :)

coachgrd

Thanks guys. 

Since this is the first time I've had this issue, I'm wondering if perhaps the wood isn't as dry as I thought.  Like one of you mentioned, being down for two years and being cut, split, and stacked for two years are two different things.  I am going to find myself a moisture meter and find out if this very well be what's going on.

John Mc

As others have noted, if you left your wood in long lengths, it won't dry much at all. If you can't split it well ahead of time, at least get it cut to stove length and store up off the ground (on pallets or poles, for example) and some place where ti will be exposed to sun and wind. Also, wood does not dry well when the temp is much below freezing. You'll get some surface drying, but the moisture inside the piece is not free to move. You also mentioned that the wood was "on the ground" if this is actually the case, it can actually pick up moisture, rather than lose it.

I'm with the others: wood not dry enough, and possibly not getting enough air. The other downside of burning green wood is that between vaporizing the water and not burning hot enough to ignite the combustion gasses you lose up to 40% of the heat value.

The fact that someone else with a different stove can burn greener wood, or even someone else with the same stove in a different installation, is no indication that it will work for you. Is you have to burn green wood, White Ash is one of the better choices, since it has a low starting moisture content. However, if not stored properly, (i.e. on the ground) White Ash can increase in moisture content after cutting.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, coachgrd.  As has been mentioned, air and dryness affects the burn rate, but do not overlook the species.  Some burn cleaner and more thoroughly than others.  In my situation, Red Oak leaves the least amount of ashes.

Adding your location to your profile helps with answering questions.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

John Mc

A website with some good info on burning wood for heat: www.woodheat.org

It's a non-profit, based in Canada. Lot's of good tips and techniques for wood burning, drying, etc.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

york

I was having the same problem,so i added another four feet of chimney,end of trouble....
Albert

woodsdog2015

I have a Regency 3100 which has a big firebox and we were having that problem off and on... I agree I think you're wood is pretty dry if its been down two years I think you need to burn your stove hotter overall or at least twice a day open it up for ahwile and then let the coals burn down.  I try and shovel them and mix them up too and once most of them start to "powder" I add more chunks in.  At night just before bed I'll fill it up and then tork it down and leave the air intake open just about one quater to one-half inch from fully closed and that works pretty good.  If its in the teens the house is like 63- 65 degrees F when I get up in the am.  Then I mix the coals up open the air up and get the coals burning down and add more wood.  If its really cold I just getting going quick and worry about getting the coals burned down better when I get home from work.
I'd rather be in the woods.
MS362CM
MS251
CS-300
Homelite 8800
FiskarsX27

woodsdog2015

I meant to add that with these more efficient burning stoves I've had to experiment to find the sweet spot where I don't have it wide open burning wood down so fast that I'm filling it every minute to where the stove temp is in the middle nicely and its mostly heating from the secondary burn from the gases and smoke from the wood instead of just the wood itself.... you know when you're in that "zone" and its heating well but not opened all of the way up.. this is also a function of your wood.  Too dry and its like paper... not dry enough and you have to burn with much more air going into the stove.  To keep the creosote down open it up twice a day for like an hour each time.
I'd rather be in the woods.
MS362CM
MS251
CS-300
Homelite 8800
FiskarsX27

Thank You Sponsors!