iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What a way to spend a weekend...

Started by Paschale, October 17, 2004, 08:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paschale

About a month ago, I was cleaning up the shop/garage--vacuuming up sawdust and stuff.  I was vacuuming around the post that holds up the front of the garage between the two garage door.  I started vacuuming up some dust and dirt too, feeling really good about cleanin' up.  I noticed some little stones were congregated around there too, so of course, just vacuumed those up.  Kept vacuuming...and suddenly realized that what I was actually vaccuuming up was the foundation!   :o

Let me tell you, that put a little fear in me!  The foundation all around that beam had just disintegrated over the years.  It was all just a bunch of rubble, but highly compacted rubble that was still serving to hold things up.  Well, me and my trusty shop vacuum made short shrift of that!   ::)

I made a quick run over to the Home Depot, bought a floor/joist jack, and stabilized things before everything went to pieces.  Had to figure out how best to fix the darn thing, and this weekend looked to be the weekend I could have some help fixing it.  Me and my dad rented a concrete saw on Friday and made a big ole hole.  Those saws are slick, btw!  It sure made a nice clean cut--very professional looking.  We cut away the punky bottom part of the beam, replaced it with a wolmanized 4x4, poured some concrete, and now it's done.  

Typing that makes it sound easy--but the whole thing was a PITA.  Yesterday, we were working in nasty, cold, wet, rainy weather, and it was one of those projects where you always seemed to turn around and run into an extra problem.

We finished her up this afternoon though, finally...and I just went out a little while ago to have a look at it.  The nice thing about projects like this, is that no matter how much of a nuisance or pain they are, once you're done, all you're left with is the satisfaction of a job that's finally done!   8)

I still would rather have spent the weekend inside, watching the Spartans pulverize Minnesota....    ;)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Kirk_Allen

I know the feeling.  We made another trip to the farm with a trailer load and truck load of stuff from the house were selling.  While unloading things into the shop I noticed the rafters were covered in black plastic all over except one spot where the plastic had fallen off.  Since it was dark in the shop and daylight outside I think I figured out why there was plastic suspended from the rafters.  

MAKE SHIFT ROOF >:(

You see, the last person who rented the farm from my father had a problem.  He would shoot anything that moved.  It was a 22.  Now I know why I found so many bird carcusses in the shop when I cleaned it out a few weeks back.  It appears the daylight I was seeing was from HUNDREDS of 22 holes in the roof.   >:( >:( >:( >:(

Ordered the replacement roofing today.  They said it will take a couple of weeks to get it in.  

Im really PO about this.  Its hunting season and I have people coming up from TX to go Deer hunting on the 28th.  The roofing is supposed to be hear by friday, the 29th.   :(

Oh, well.  Got to do what I got to do.....................go hunting ;D

Thank You Sponsors!