iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

homemade mill and autofeed

Started by revid, February 13, 2016, 09:31:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

revid

Someone gave me some links to an auto feed motor and setup for my homemade bandsaw mill but cant find it now so if your reading this or anyone else knows of such can you reply to me please?

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

revid

beenthere

revid
You can go back to your posts and review them to find the one you are referring to here.

Just click your forum name and you will see where you can see your previous posts.

You can find the needle in the haystack...  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

kelLOGg

What do you mean by "auto feed"? Automatically feeding logs onto a mill?
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

revid

no auto feeding the carriage using a 12v dc motor with chain and sprockets.It may have been somewhere else but the guy built it and gave me links to ebay site where to buy

Kbeitz

Quote from: revid on February 13, 2016, 03:56:53 PM
no auto feeding the carriage using a 12v dc motor with chain and sprockets.It may have been somewhere else but the guy built it and gave me links to ebay site where to buy
I bet it got deleted... Links to eBay is not aloud.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

revid

ok thanks for the info,hopefully guy reads this again and posts again without ebay links

kelLOGg

OK then, I have done that with an electric wheelchair motor.

It operates on 24 VDC and draws about 10 amps (0.33 HP). I have found that I saw everything (almost) with one speed. The chain drive shaft operates two #40 chains connected to each side of the sawhead. A hand crank allows me to loosen the tension to change gears (slow process); return is not fast but I love it and it has been in operation for 10+ years. A must is a speed controller (PWM) which is pricey (~180) if you get a hermetically sealed one which is also a must unless you are sawing in a heated shop. I can give more details if you like.
Bob
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

revid

well I am using a GEAR MOTOR 12 VOLT FEED 150/160 rpm 25:1 ratio with a MXA066: DC MOTOR PWM SPEED CONTROL 30A MAX 12V / 24V 100 Hz ASSEMBLED KIT and a 6-pin Black DPDT DC Moto Reverse ON/OFF/ON Toggle Switch ,gears and #40 chain.I just cant remember how he had it attached and working on his saw.If you get the time can you send me some pics of your setup,how you have it attached to your carriage?

kelLOGg

I can't send pics as a PM response so I have added 2 pics more to my gallery which you can look at. The motor mount pivots via the crank to tension the chain and another lever (on the sawhead carriage) inserts 4 fingers (nails) between the chain links to connect the sawhead to the chain. Look for page 3 in the sawmill section of my gallery. You might want to put your email address in your profile so I can respond specifically to you.
Bob

revid

thanks and my email is already in my profile.Can you send me some pics of both ends of chain and driver motor.What is the four finger thing?

revid

does anyone know I can hook up the reversing switch between the motor and speed control in my setup? I have a GEAR MOTOR 12 VOLT FEED 150/160 rpm 25:1 ratio with a MXA066: DC MOTOR PWM SPEED CONTROL 30A MAX 12V / 24V 100 Hz ASSEMBLED KIT and a 6-pin Black DPDT DC Moto Reverse ON/OFF/ON Toggle Switch.I need asap please.

Kbeitz

I would think so if your switch is made to handle the motors 30 amps.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

revid

Sorry it came out wrong,I know it can be done but dont know how to wire the three together so they all work.

Kbeitz

What are you going to use for the 30 amp toggle switch ?
Make sure your switch has stop in the middle. DPDT

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

revid

Thanks Kbeitz. The speed control is rated for 30 amps,not the motor and the switch is rated enough to handle the motor,15amp rating.The motor is only 180 watts,.24 hp.

Rougespear

Revid, remember that even though the motor is rated at 15amps, that is likely running and not stall current either.  Starting inrush current on my 12vdc 12 amp gear motor exceeds 30 amps.
Custom built Cook's-style hydraulic bandmill.

Kbeitz

Go to E-bay and look at a F/R Square D drum switch.
I'm not saying you wont find  a toggle to handle your amps but it wont be a cheap switch.
One place to look is switches sold for snow plow lifts.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

revid

revid

hey guys got an update on project and another problem.First of all the setup I used is from another guy from another forum who says his runs good.He gave me links to buy what I used.Went out this morning to try my speed controller,the other day it was slow so I thought it was battery and put it on charger.This morning same thing and all of a sudden smoke coming from speed controller. It still doesn't move slow like I wanted to and never did and now I wont use it in case it burns something else. I am trying to get a hold of the guy who gave me the plans but no luck yet. Any ideas what might of happened.It was running good when you dialed up the controller but then it was too fast for anything. It either I look into another speed controller or go another route.Any suggestions? Hydraulics? I need something that I can slow down to a crawl  but speed up when I need it.

Slingshot

revid........

Here is a power feed I put on a Norwood Mark 4 that I had a few years ago.
I used a wheelchair motor and the speed controller off of the wheelchair.
The motor would run on 12 volts but I had to use 24 volts for the controller
to operate. Good control on power and speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImwGDHLBC_U

_______________________----
Charles

Kbeitz

I'm useing this speed controles with 24 volt wheelchair motors.
So far they are working great...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

revid

thanks, can you buy these online? I am still trying to figure out what happened to my setup. the guy who gave me the setup ,his is still working fine as far as I know. It seems the problem is when you try to slow it down.I want the speed to be just a crawl for the lathe part of mt setup. Here is what I used, can you tell if there might be some problems? I tried to upload pics but they just go to my gallery,so if you can check them out.Theres the motor and the speed controller .I just used a Toggle Switch 3 Position Reverse Polarity DC Motor Control- Momentary switch besides them. Let me know what you think

Kbeitz

After you upload your picture drop down on the same page and you will see something that
says add picture to your posting.

I got my speed controls from E-bay. Just search for what I have typed in on top
of of my picture.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!