iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill Shed Setup for Efficiency

Started by Billikenfan, February 13, 2016, 08:22:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billikenfan

I have a LT40 hydraulic that I'm building a new shed for.  Right now I have a standing order for some cribbing (21/2×3 1/2×102")  I sell them around 110 of these a week.  I would like to work up to cutting ties also.  I have a great market for slab/side lumber waste ($.90 a bdft).   Anything I can use for that gets burned in my boiler.   I use the sawdust around the cattle feeders.  I'm looking for advice on how to set up my shed.  It's going to be at least 26ft wide with a 24ft opening on the face.  It will be around 20ft deep.  .  There is more area at the end of the mill to use some skate conveyors and racks to slide lumber  into.  I usually cut by myself but sometimes have a helper .  Are there any diagrams or pictures of setups that work well?  I just want to do it right the first time.  Thanks for any help you can give me.

Scott
2015 Woodmizer LT40  Hydraulic 35hp
Mountain Home Firewood Kiln. Beaver Wood Eater Firewood Processer.  John Deere 260 Skid Steer.

Ohio_Bill

Good Morning Scott, I saw mostly by myself on a LT 40 super with drag back. I have rollers on both ends of the mill most of the time.  Slabs and fitches drag back and finish product goes off the other end most of the time.  I use a slab rack and strap them. When sawing ties the slab rack holds about 10 logs of slabs and my log deck holds 10 logs so that is a good match .

I started out in this shed with a LT15 for hobby use and it has evolved into what it is today. Considered about a year ago just tearing it down and starting over. What I have learned over the years is rollers are your friend and never pick up both ends of a board if you don't have to. Sawmilling is 20 % sawing and 80 % material handling.
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

dhp3228

I was going to ask this similar question but was going to include parameters to cover a 6' bed extension. Therefore extra long and extra heavy outer slabs and was wondering about others setup. I hope more will chime in with their layouts.

red

Cantilever Design Sawshed by Chris Burchfield posted 22 Feb 2006 is my favorite
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Thank You Sponsors!