iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Planed this 24" wide figured wood

Started by GAmillworker, February 12, 2016, 08:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAmillworker

We don't see this wood around these parts.  Had a customer bring this piece and a 3 more to be surfaced.  One piece we are going to try to split as it is 5" thick.  All from the same log.

How many on here can identify this wood?
Thank the Lord for second chances

WDH

Looks a little bit like pecan.  Probably something obscure and exotic, though  :).  Whatever it is, I covet it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GAmillworker

GAmillworker

In this pic on right you can see where they crudely chainsaw cut these slabs.

woodman58

I would almost say it is Quilted maple but I have not seen that much brown. It is beautiful.
i LOVE THE SMELL OF SAW DUST IN THE MORNING.
Timberking 2200

drobertson

yea, it's a nut tree, whether pecan or walnut, on of the two in my opinion,  It's a hard wood, and pretty at that,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

GAmillworker

It is not hard maple

It is not pecan or walnut.

RPowers

2013 Woodmizer LT28G25 (sold 2016)
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

rasman57

Looks like some of the big Oak we have up here in the Midwest.  Sure is easy on the eyes.

280 rem

Very pretty piece of wood for sure! I love it!
We saw walnut lumber for the same reason Willie Sutton said he robbed banks, "because that's where the money is"

Select 4221E, baker edger, cat 908 loader, Jd 548E, timberjack 230d, hood 7000 loader.

customsawyer

It looks a bit like sycamore or sweet gum but you said we don't see it around here. I don't know if you mean the figure or the species.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

GAmillworker

The species.

This wood is from the west coast

teed

On my homestead, I mill with.
Logosol B1001 bandsaw mill
Woodland mill HM122 bandsaw mill
Logosol F2 with Speedsaw E5 chainsaw mill
Logosol Farmers with Stihl MS391 and MS661

GAmillworker

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

slider

Well Ga millworker has stumped WDH I guess he is headed strait to the wood shed.
al glenn

WDH

Seavee

Wood mizer lt50 47hp yanmar Diesel  Sthil MS311, Ms661 MS200T, 029 farm boss  and a New Holland T4  75hp.

redbeard

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Seavee

Wood mizer lt50 47hp yanmar Diesel  Sthil MS311, Ms661 MS200T, 029 farm boss  and a New Holland T4  75hp.

WIwoodworker

Looks a bit like soft maple to me. The heartwood of soft maple is frequently brown.
Peterson 9" WPF

WIwoodworker

Whatever it is it's very cool. Thanks for sharing the photos.
Peterson 9" WPF

KirkD

Quote from: redbeard on February 13, 2016, 10:34:36 PM
Myrtle wood, just guessing

That was my thought to. Most redwood looks more like cedar.
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

Greyhound

GAmillworker

A customer of mine from California brought it to me.  I may trade him a walnut slab for one piece.

Thank You Sponsors!