iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Motor

Started by Peter Drouin, February 12, 2016, 04:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

Can I change the rotation on this motor?
Maybe change two wires around?

I want to put it on the saw.

So what do y'all think?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

LaneC

Take the cover off of the terminal box(where the wires go into the motor) and if it can be reversed, it will say so on the cover(inside) usually. It should say something like ccw(counter clock wise) red to R1 or cw(clockwise) black to R1 or something similar. Those are just numbers and colors that I came up with which are common, but they may be different on your motor.
Man makes plans and God smiles

drobertson

seems if it's shot, it's shot,, might be call for a shot, ;D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Kbeitz

Most of the time its the Blue and Brown wire that gets swaped.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

pineywoods

It can be reversed, BUT it may not be practical to do so. There are 2 independent sets of windings in most induction motors, one for run, one for starting. All thats required to reverse the rotation is to swap the 2 leads going to the start winding.
Easy if those come out to terminals, a real pain if they don't.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Peter Drouin

Thank for the info. I want to get the power hacksaw going, want to get the hardwood slab saw together. Would like to make square cuts on the steel. :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

If you can't do that maybe can reverse the direction via pulleys, twisting a belt, or mountig the motor onto it backward, not sure how practical those maybe be but my $.02 nonetheless
Boy, back in my day..

21incher

If you can't change the rotation how about turning the blade inside out and running it backwards until you find another motor. ;D
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: 21incher on February 12, 2016, 10:33:25 PM
If you can't change the rotation how about turning the blade inside out and running it backwards until you find another motor. ;D

I did think of that. :D :D

and this.

Quote from: 4x4American on February 12, 2016, 09:26:19 PM
If you can't do that maybe can reverse the direction via pulleys, twisting a belt, or mountig the motor onto it backward, not sure how practical those maybe be but my $.02 nonetheless

I got the thing from an auction and it ran for 2 minutes and bured up. put on a motor I had and it was not strong enough. So maybe this one will work if I can get to go the other way.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

Quote from: 21incher on February 12, 2016, 10:33:25 PM

Thing with that is that then the drive wheel would be trying to push the blade through.  Might work, only two ways to find out!
Boy, back in my day..

21incher

You should change the oil in the gearbox while it is apart. that is the biggest cause of failure with those small saws. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: 21incher on February 13, 2016, 11:09:19 AM
You should change the oil in the gearbox while it is apart. that is the biggest cause of failure with those small saws. :)

smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Chuck White

I change the oil in my up/dn gearbox once a year!

The first time I changed it in the old gearbox I had to use a hooked piece of wire to pull the sludge out of the bottom of the gearbox.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Kbeitz

It allways helps to stick a small magnet in the corner of the box. It helps to keep the oil clean.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Chuck White

Can't put a magnet in a Wood-Mizer up/dn gearbox.

There's enough room below the gears to allow particles to settle, then they can be flushed out when you change the oil annually.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

LaneC

Is this "new" motor the same horsepower as the one that burned up? Also did the old motor(the one that burned up) have 2 capacitors on it? The duty cycle can be a factor of it burning up also. If it runs for very long periods under load and is not designed to do so, it will burn it up.

Peter Drouin

New to me motor I have come off a table saw. When it get's above 0° I will look at it.
Thanks LaneC for the info. :P
A&P saw Mill LLC.

LaneC

Man, that is cold. That is so cold, if you did run it and it was the wrong motor, it probably would not overheat. :D

Brucer

Peter, your (metal cutting) bandsaw looks identical to mine (except mine has a motor on it :D). I can't see the on/off switch in the photo but I expect it's on the front of the body (facing the camera) toward the left side. I suspect there's a metal tab on the sawhead that pushes the switch to the off position after the saw cuts through whatever you're sawing -- a simple automatic shutoff.

I burned out the original motor on my saw when I was sawing some 1/2" disks off a 2-1/2" diameter solid steel bar. It took a long time to make each cut, so I'd get it started and then go do something else and let the automatic shutoff stop the saw. At one point I got sidetracked and when I came back to the shop I saw (and smelled) blue smoke rising up out of the saw.

It seems the blade got dull and started steering off to one side about half way through the cut. With hollow tubing or angle iron this would just give me a messy cut. In wide, solid material the blade got turned so badly it seized solid and stopped the motor. By the time I got there the paint was blistering on the motor and enough heat had traveled up the motor shaft and through the drive pulley that it melted the belt :(.

The original motor was a 1/3 HP cheap Asian import, with no thermal cutout.

I replaced it with a 1/3 HP GE motor that most definitely has a thermal cutout. The motor actually says "Farm motor" on the nameplate. This saw is geared down so much that you wont be overloading the motor on startup.

Pineywoods says exactly how to reverse an AC motor. The biggest problem is when it isn't obvious which wires to swap and there's no diagram to show you.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Peter Drouin

smiley_thumbsup I do have a stop switch on it. 
A&P saw Mill LLC.

LaneC

Yep. That "Farm motor" is the duty cycle I was talking about. I hope you can get it going.

Brucer

One thing I should have mentioned. The location of the motor is important, as it acts as a counterbalance to the weight of the sawhead. It would be very difficult to turn the motor around (if you can't reverse it) without unbalancing the saw.

You might be able to do it by using a jackshaft in a couple of pillow block bearings.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!