iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

identify this axle and housing

Started by roundbarn, February 11, 2016, 07:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roundbarn

I have a 1981 IH s7 and i dont know what axle and housing is under the machine at present....here are some pics...anybody recognize them?

bushmechanic

I'm pretty sure those are Dana axles made for Hough, can also be found in the Hough loaders. Also I don't think that skidder is a 1981 model year, as I think they only made the S8 in that year.

roundbarn

ok, thanks. i am not sure it is an 81.  Ill look for hough loader parts then....likely easier.

madmari

I had a 1970 S7 with axles like that. Nash Equipment in NH bought the machine for parts.
I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

grassfed

Some friends of mine were running an S7 a few years ago and had trouble finding axles. Here is an FF thread from 2008-2009 about s7 axle parts. https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=29203.0

I hear they are good machines maybe think about converting the rears at some point if you want to run it for a long time.
Mike

jdeere540a

that hough dose look older like late 60s early 70s.  it could be hard finding the right axle because of so many gear ratios gas engines had a deffernt ratio then diesel and some skidders differnt then loaders. but if i were to guess try looking for a hough payloader model h30 they had the small axles also try h50.

roundbarn

what could i convert the rears to? i hear that rockwell rears have been used?

grassfed

I would look for Rockwell's or Etons from an old maybe burned timberjack. Something like this depends on what you can find at a good price that is close to the same size and has a reliable supply of parts. I run deere so I don't have much knowledge on the other rears. I do know that my friends lost a lot of production from downtime while looking for axles. So if it is something that you are planning to use to make money the trouble of an axle swap might make sense.

Maybe you can sell the Hough axles for parts to help fund the swap.   
Mike

jocco

I agree this is a 60's Hough machine. There were a few axle types and as others said (not only axles) but whole machine is hard to get parts for!! People that run them now look for a spare machine for parts. Yes some put 225 timberjack (Rockwell) under them. Those were a good machine over all in there day, had there good and bad points but I liked them. ;D
You may check out but you will never leave

jocco

Grass fed probably off the wall BUT: WHAT ABOUT 440B JD AXELS UNDER ONE??  smiley_sidelightbulb I HAVE KIND OF WONDERED ABOUT  THAT.

Quote from: grassfed on February 13, 2016, 09:38:34 AM
I would look for Rockwell's or Etons from an old maybe burned timberjack. Something like this depends on what you can find at a good price that is close to the same size and has a reliable supply of parts. I run deere so I don't have much knowledge on the other rears. I do know that my friends lost a lot of production from downtime while looking for axles. So if it is something that you are planning to use to make money the trouble of an axle swap might make sense.

Maybe you can sell the Hough axles for parts to help fund the swap.

grassfed

I think that the Deere /Funk style axles are the best design from that era and then Eton followed by Rockwell. I don't know if the  Deere style housing with inboard planetaries would fit. It might be to big or the wrong shape. Parts for the Deere axles are around but as far as I know you have to find used axle shafts. They do make new aftermarket ring and pinions now.
Mike

jocco

The two machines are about the same size but any change over is a lot of work. Don't know why they became so scarce but planetaries are the same. Yes there were different types of them too. What end did your friends make with there s7?? There is transfer case parts problems with them, plus a whole bunch of 353 Detroit parts that are, well, unique to that model and hard to find.

Quote from: grassfed on February 13, 2016, 12:39:10 PM
I think that the Deere /Funk style axles are the best design from that era and then Eton followed by Rockwell. I don't know if the  Deere style housing with inboard planetaries would fit. It might be to big or the wrong shape. Parts for the Deere axles are around but as far as I know you have to find used axle shafts. They do make new aftermarket ring and pinions now.

grassfed

I don't remember if they finally got it running again but they soon traded it in to Nash Equipment toward a 640 Deere.
Mike

Maine logger88

My grandfather had a early 70s s7 he bought in 75 and had up until the early 90s he got sick of putting planatarys in the hough axles so he switched it over to rockwells out of a junked out Franklin. I guess it worked well as far as I know it's still pulling wood and if they do have a problem parts are easy to come by. His s7 had 18.4x 34 tires a 353 and a 19 gearmatic so it probably was harder on rears than one with the ford smaller tires and smaller winch
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

jdeere540a

my grandfather worked at R.C. Heazelton's when the s7's came out i remember him saying they weren't that good they were to light duty. later when they made the s8 and s10 they were much better built. to bad there all hard to find parts for i like my jd 540a but being from an IH family id love to find an s8. 

jocco

Most s7 I see had small tires maybe a 26??? Some had 30 don't know if I see one with 34, rumor had it with taller tires they were tippy. Many had the 353 Detroit. They were a smaller machine 440 jd size or c4 tree farmer size

Quote from: Maine logger88 on February 13, 2016, 03:50:06 PM
My grandfather had a early 70s s7 he bought in 75 and had up until the early 90s he got sick of putting planatarys in the hough axles so he switched it over to rockwells out of a junked out Franklin. I guess it worked well as far as I know it's still pulling wood and if they do have a problem parts are easy to come by. His s7 had 18.4x 34 tires a 353 and a 19 gearmatic so it probably was harder on rears than one with the ford smaller tires and smaller winch

Maine logger88

Yeah most of the ones I've seen had the 16.9 30 and a couple with 18.4 x26. His came from the north Maine woods so maybe they had the 34s cause of the deep snow. It was tippy I guess they have a few stories lol
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

roundbarn

this S7 has a Detriot 353 and 34 inch tires.  It also has a carco model 100 winch that i am trying to get to work.

jocco

What is wrong with your axles anyway?? IF nothing I would go through them they may have a magnetic plug that picks up metal shavings (usually a fill plug) Change oils check loose bearings planetary pins etc. What are you going to do with this machine? Part time cutting? IS it, the machine new to you? The Detroit is a normal 353 just lots of the external parts are oddball on it compared to a timberjack. You may get some manuals on evil bay for it. If you are not familure with detroits or axles get a person that is to go over it. As I said can't help on that winch but get a manual. I assume it is like many others some type of braking and clutch set up. Around me that winch would be hard to get parts for compared to gearmatic.

Quote from: roundbarn on February 14, 2016, 05:37:23 AM
this S7 has a Detriot 353 and 34 inch tires.  It also has a carco model 100 winch that i am trying to get to work.

roundbarn

I changed the oil in the planetarys and differential housing and found that after filling it, there was a leak. They had probably been running dry for some time before I bought it. Surprisingly there weren't a lot of metal on the magnetic plugs. The front axle is the only one affected by any leaking. Nothing else is wrong with it yet. I want to plan for future maintenance.

The winch wont pull like I think it should. I expected it to be stronger than my farmi tractor mounted winch. As well, the brake wont hold, but I think it can be adjusted after getting a hold of a manual-see my other post.

I only do part time select cutting on my own woodlot. I bought the skidder after getting frustrated with putting holes in my tractor fuel tank and busting off hydraulic lines while pulling out logs with the three point hitch mounted winch over the past few years.

jdeere540a

for part time use i would just keep it full of oil keep the hitches lite and go easy.  i had a timberjack 230d once that i could never stop the front end from leaking.

jocco

I can understand being frustrated by tractor and winch smiley_fused_bomb Can't speak for that winch but those equipped with gearmatic 19 119 (aka problematic) if set up right would just about pull that skidder in two!!!

Thank You Sponsors!