iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

scams and thiefs

Started by dustyhat, February 11, 2016, 12:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dustyhat

Please be aware who handles your credit and debit cards. my uncle just got his bank account cleaned out of several thousand dollars buy using his debit at a gas station. just thought i would give a heads up.

r.man

Will the bank cover the loss? As long as the pin number was inappropriately accessed, hidden camera etc, our banks will make good for such losses since it is a failure in their security measures.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

dustyhat

Got more info from my uncle , this happened in Indianapolis Indiana , and it was a devise hooked up to the pump that got info when you use your card. after investigated the police found it still hooked up . some kind of small transmitter type thing.

dustyhat

Yes i think measures are being taken.       Guess i just wanted for you guys to be aware.

red

Yes you should always be careful. But more importantly know what your bank or credit card will do for you . 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Ianab

Card skimmer. It's a small card reader stuck on the front of the terminal, that just reads the magnetic strip off the card as it goes through. Then they place a small video camera to record you entering your PIN. That's all the info needed to make and use a duplicate of your card.

A precaution is to use your other hand to cover your fingers as you enter your pin. That way they can't record your numbers.

This is also why you will be seeing a push to the Chip & Pin cards, with the embedded computer chip. About 1,000 times more difficult to fake.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

r.man

Most cards here are chip and we have had the problem with the readers and cameras in Ontario as well. There was even a fake ABM installed in a mall that read the card and the PIN and then said there was a problem with the transaction, try later or contact your bank. Nervy buggers.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Peter Drouin

That's one reason why I only use CASH and everyone likes it. :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

21incher

That is happening around here also. That is why it is safer to use a credit card when you can.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Gearbox

Peter Ben Franklin has never been a problem . Hard to hack a $100 bill
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Ianab

But when someone does "hack" your wallet, your chances of getting your cash back are approx zero.

If someone skims your card, through no fault of your own, 99% of the time the bank will refund you.

I know your cards are being upgraded to chip, but most terminals still accept the magnetic stripe for CC transactions. Locally ALL the CC terminals only accept chip cards.

We were in the Cook Islands last year and some places there are still using the manual Zip-zap and carbon paper.  :D But then with only one road and one airport, they don't seem to have a huge problem with fraud.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ljohnsaw

Several years ago, I tried to use my card at a Safeway Gas station (Safeway food stores have pumps out front).  Tired several times and it didn't work.  Went in to the attendant and tried it on the counter top and it wouldn't work.  He swiped it behind the counter and I got my gas.  Then the bank contacted me a week later to say it had been compromised (was being used 400 miles away).  Now, I think if anyone "needs" to swipe my card where I can't see it, I'll take their picture with my phone  ;)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Ianab on February 11, 2016, 10:11:00 PM
But when someone does "hack" your wallet, your chances of getting your cash back are approx zero.

If someone tried that I would break their hands, then call the cops. :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

square1

The skimmers being used today are placed inside the pump and cannot be seen by a user.  They are hooked directly into the wriing harness and capture the data as it is processed after which the data is wirelessly transmitted to a nearby receiver.

They are most often found in pumps that do not face the station and are furthest from the building.

Heres a short informative video https://youtu.be/50i67kufCTs

coxy

in order to do this it has to be a worker for the gas comp right   :-\ no one else has keys to open the door  so jmop the gas comp should have to refund you your money  its there workers not the bank or there workers

square1

The thieves have a ring of ~12 keys and can open most factory installed gas pump locks.  Some individual stations owners are putting on their own locks.

Sixacresand

Our Debit card was hacked between the Pig Roast and Niagara Falls two years ago.  The bank caught it before any damage was done.  And Luckily we had another card to use.  We found a credit union in NY State and we were able to cash a personal check.  I can hardly find a bank in my home state that would do that.  I guess they were figuring "give him some cash so he will leave"    :D
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

DanG

Dustyhat, the same thing happened to me a couple of years ago and my bank restored my money right away after I caught it.  That is required by law everywhere in the US, as far as I know.  The bank cancels the transaction and the party who accepted the card is the one holding the bag.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

clearcut

Credit cards tend to be safer than debit cards in regards to fraud. Both credit and debit have a legal limit of $50 liability, but almost all banks and card companies have a $0 liability policy.

With a credit card, if you have physical possession of your card you are not responsible for unauthorized charges under federal law. Federal rules allow significant liability for fraudulent debit-card transactions that aren't reported in a timely manner. With a debit card, if you do not report the fraud within 60 days, you money can be gone.

The advantage of of credit over debit, is that as soon as you report the fraud, the credit provider will immediately credit back the money in your account. With a debit card, it up to the bank to decide, and it may take 60 or 90 days or more for you to have access to your money.

A stolen debit card number with pin, can be easily written to a blank mag stripe card and used at ATMs, online, and a number of other places. A stolen credit card needs the security code (not entered at a gas station or other physical location where a skimmer may be present) and possibly the zip code to be used online or at an ATM.

Credit card companies have strong fraud detection in place. Within 3 hours of my wife's credit card number (not card) being stolen, the credit card company was calling asking about an "uncharacteristic set" of purchases. They immediately backed out the fraudulent purchases, and we had replacement cards the next day. 

Carbon sequestered upon request.

tree-farmer

There are so many scams out there! For only 19.95 I can show you how to avoid them. Call now, operators are standing by..... :D
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

Ljohnsaw

Since I get cash back on my Credit Card, I rarely use my Debit Card - as in - almost never.  My Credit Union allows me to set up alerts on activity.  Any activity on my Credit Card results in an email to me - instantly.  I check my email nearly daily so I know pretty quickly when a purchase has been made.  Sometimes I'm scratching my head when I see 2 or 3 alerts - I have to think "where did I go today?".  So far, so good.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

WDH

Check out this e-mail that I got yesterday.

Dear Danny Hamsley,
I'm, Frederick Asiedu Larbi, Private lawyer to Late Ing.Michael Hamsley, a national of your country, and a former Director of (AIR LIQUIDE GHANA LTD). an Oil & Petroleum distribution company, base in Ghana. On January 31, 2013, my client and his family were involved in a car accident, unfortunately lost their lives, my client had an account valued at about Eighteen Million Seven Hundred Thousand Dollars he deposited in the Bank here, I want you to assite me Repatriating the money and property left behind by my client, then me and you will share the money 45% to you 45% to me then 10% to motherless.

Your honest cooperation to enable us achieve this project is required from you. I guarantee that this will be executed under a legitimate arrangement that will protect you from any breach of law. I will need the following information from you to help us achieve this claim;

Your Full Name:——————-
Address: ———————
Your Age:————————————-
Your Telephone, Email, and Mobile for Communication Purpose:——————————

I await your urgent reply then I will give you more information.

Best Regards,
Mr. Frederick Asiedu Larbi.

Click to open the sheet I've shared with you:

Frederick Asiedu Larbi & Co. Law Chambers

If you are new to Smartsheet, you will be asked to set a password for your email address after you click the link.

At least 10% goes to the Motherless  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Let me know how this works out Danny.  popcorn_smiley
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

I am going to be rich soon, it looks like.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

red

Then maybe you will sell some of that Lumber you are hoarding . You already are a Rich Man .
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Thank You Sponsors!