iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

DMV and my portable sawmill

Started by locked88, February 10, 2016, 08:24:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

locked88

Do I need to license a portable sawmill as a trailer. Plan to tow it home from Georgia and between NC and NY?
Kubota L3130
61 Land Rover diesel 88lla
83 AVION 34
Amsoil

justallan1

I would suggest using the search bar for it and see what you come up with.
From what I've read here it seems every state is different.
Possibly others will chime in with some experience.

kelLOGg

I towed my mill for years doing jobs in the state with no license plate. I've heard I didn't need one but I didn't ask and was never stopped.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

taylorsmissbeehaven

When I bought my mill at NC WM I was told that I did not need a tag in NC. A trooper passed me on my way home and slowed down to check it out. I was afraid he was looking for a tag but after a few minutes he pulled up beside me and gave me a big thumbs up. 8)I guess he was just admiring the shiny orange! I was relieved and have not had any other issues. That's all I know about it. Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

terrifictimbersllc

There are state and federal laws.  Whether you need to comply to make it home without getting caught is a separate question.

I would guess insofar as registration of the mill is concerned, you would be OK if you're obeying the laws of the state which your driver's license is issued from.  If you post that, you might get more information from people in your state.

Federal law (FMCSA, "USDOT") requires a USDOT number if you cross state lines AND you have a combined GVWR of 10001 pounds or more (truck + mill), AND the purpose of that trip is commerce (business).  My understanding is that if you are stopped for USDOT or state DOT registration or supposed infractions and you can say "I am not in commerce" (meaning at that point), you should be OK (that is if the officer believes you.   Getting a USDOT number is easy and free, but complying with and understanding the rules are not.

Your state may adopt the federal rules exactly or all of them but have a higher weight limit than 10001 pounds before they are in force.  Again these only apply to commerce.

It goes without saying that you need operating lights, brakes, safety chains on the sawmill and it should not be used to transport anything else.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

brendonv

My state requires plates on mostly everything.

With that said, i drove a chipper with no plate from nebraska back home to ct with no issue.  (20 hours)
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

ncsawyer

In NC, from my interpretation of the law, sawmills are not required to be registered. They fall under the following exemption:

ยง 20-51. Exempt from registration.
The following shall be exempt from the requirement of registration and certificate of title:

Any implement of husbandry, farm tractor, road construction or maintenance
machinery or other vehicle which is not self-propelled that was designed for use in
work off the highway and which is operated on the highway for the purpose of going
to and from such nonhighway projects.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

terrifictimbersllc

Lucky guys in NC.  Also the NCDOT rule I believe is up to 26000# GVWR combined doesn't need USDOTNC #.  Nice state.  8)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

Every state has it's own laws.  For transporting a new sawmill, your Certificate of Origin/Bill of Sale should be all that is needed until you reach home. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, locked88.

No tag required in New York, lights are required, brakes are required on mills over 3,000 pounds!

The weight limit usually points toward hydraulic mills!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

landscraper

Quote from: taylorsmissbeehaven on February 11, 2016, 07:30:10 AM
When I bought my mill at NC WM I was told that I did not need a tag in NC. A trooper passed me on my way home and slowed down to check it out.

That's almost the exact same thing that happened to me on the way home from North Carolina Woodmizer when i towed my LT35 home.  I mean he was on my bumper for miles, and then when I pulled off to get fuel he waved.  Probably has dreams of a mill of his own one day.
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

Peter Drouin

In NH I have a construction plate on mine.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

MartyParsons

Hello,
  You will be ok with out a license in Virginia and Pennsylvania. I have also been in NY with out a plate. Not sure what the law is in NY. As long as you do not use the bed as a trailer.  Always have the fenders on, lights and brakes in operation.
Hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

BUGGUTZ

In Michigan we haul chippers, stumpers and "equipment with wheels" No plate. However a Vermeer self propelled stumper on a purpose built small "T" trailer, trailer needs a plate. Michigan is super cool about what you can roll down the road so that is nice.
Everyone has to be somewhere.

Stuart Caruk

In Washington State I use a slow moving farm vehicle decal. I've been stopped for a safety check. Lack of a plate was not an issue as I was going from one farm to another within a 25 mile radius of home.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

AnthonyW

Quote from: Peter Drouin on February 11, 2016, 06:23:25 PM
In NH I have a construction plate on mine.

Ditto.

Anything classified above the 10k GVWR for "profit use", also requires a DOT physical card and possibly a CDL-B or CDL-A. At least this is true in New Hampshire per the NHDOT representative in Concord.

'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

21incher

The DMV told me that I didn't need a plate on a mill or log splitter, but it must meet all safety requirements for it's weight in NY. If it is used comercially and the combo is over 10k lbs combined GVW there are DOT requirements. I don't know about the states that you are traveling through, but there are lists of trailer rules that I think are available online. :) 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

AnthonyW

Quote from: 21incher on February 15, 2016, 08:43:25 AM
The DMV told me that I didn't need a plate on a mill or log splitter, but it must meet all safety requirements for it's weight in NY. If it is used commercially and the combo is over 10k lbs combined GVW there are DOT requirements. I don't know about the states that you are traveling through, but there are lists of trailer rules that I think are available online. :)

Generally, for private use the laws to obey most are the laws of your home state. How can one be expected to be an expert in the laws of all of states through which they are travelling? I have found this true in my travels with various vehicles, items in tow, and law enforcement officials. Just keep in mind there is safety (eg., lights for night travels) and then there is the rest of the stuff (eg., license plate or no). Is it 'safer' to have working lights on the trailer or not? Is it 'safer' to have a license plate on the trailer? I think you get the drift.
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

willy54

Hey everyone - thanks for all the great feedback. going to contact state dmv and see what pa rules are - then start getting it ready to move! 
Martin

terrifictimbersllc

Suggest you call Woodmizer,  Shade gap Pennsylvania They would probably know what the situation is.

WV Sawmiller

They probably know since they operate there but for everyone I always suggest calling your state DMV, no matter where you live. Mine told me no plate was needed as it was a piece of mobile equipment, not a trailer. I've never had a trooper, deputy or city policeman stop me to challenge that. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

maple flats

In NYS you can haul the sawmill without a plate, if the sawmill is attached permanently to the trailer so they are one unit, as in a mill made with a trailer as a unit. However if you load anything onto the mill, it needs a plate. The same as with towable compressors, cement mixers and such.
I don't know about any other jurisdictions.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Southside

In PA I would trust Marty over the DMV for the correct answer. If they don't deal with it daily good luck getting the info. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

D6c

Does a WM mill come with a title?
If not, I don't know how you'd get a plate for it from the DMV.

farmfromkansas

When I bought an out of state truck last year, I called the county tag office, and asked about a temporary plate to get the truck home.  I was told no.  Asked how to get the thing home and they said "call Colorado".  Asked my neighbor who is a state trooper, he said just have my paper work in the truck in case I get stopped.  He said I have a right to get the thing home. Drove half way across Colorado, and more than half way across Kansas with no tag, nobody bothered me.  Did start insurance on it before I left on the way to get it.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Thank You Sponsors!