iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sonic booms,

Started by drobertson, February 10, 2016, 01:51:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

Any of you folks experience these on a regular basis?  we had a dandy here in these parts this morning, stirred quite the commotion in several towns in a 25 mile radius
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

yukon cornelius

Not sonic booms but almost daily A-10s and helecopters practice overhead. Sometimes you can see the freckles on the pilots faces. Lol
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

footer

I thought it was not legal to go supersonic over the USA

drobertson

Not sure on legality, but it happens,  I'm not complaining, I really kinda like it,  they train over this area quite often, lots at night, you can see the flares go off, and some kinda dog fights maybe?  pretty cool,,glad to have them close in my opinion.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

beenthere

Not regular, but on occasion.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Deese

No sonic booms, but we blew up some tannerite at night the weekend before last at the camphouse. My granddaddy called asking what was going on, and his house is about 3 miles away  ;D :D
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

LaneC

Every now and then a Coast Guard jet would be very low and fast close to the platform and we would get one. They are massive when they are that low. As far as legality goes, the golden rule applies, He who has the gold makes the rules.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Chuck White

The nice thing about is:  THEY'RE OURS!   ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Seavee

We got one a couple weeks ago. There were reports up and down the east coast that day. Felt like an earth quake  at first.
Wood mizer lt50 47hp yanmar Diesel  Sthil MS311, Ms661 MS200T, 029 farm boss  and a New Holland T4  75hp.

thecfarm

I think they use to practice in Rangley ME. We was on a job there and enjoying out lunch when a jet flew over,kinda low. All we heard was woosh. We looked at each other and said, that was odd. About than BOOM and I do mean BOOM. We all laughed because we felt kinda dumb.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bruno of NH

They train around my area a lot the sonic booms happen a couple times .
There is an closed private airport next to my house they land the big double bladed transport helicopters at it for training .
When they land and take off I think my house is going to blow over .
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

drobertson

Quote from: Chuck White on February 10, 2016, 05:23:06 PM
The nice thing about is:  THEY'RE OURS!   ;)
I feel the same, whole heartedly,  it don't bother me in the least bit I like it,

LaneC

Chuck White

In our area, the planes fly out of Ft Drum and the Natl Guard out of Syracuse.

I don't believe an A-10 could create a sonic boom!  ;)

The only thing that bugs me is when they really start making a lot of noise up there it is most often on a cloudy day and we can't see them!   >:(

I need to go to another Thunderbirds air show.  8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Don_Papenburg

We don't get them any more . Used to have a boom at least once a month , but they closed Chanute .   Chanute was about a hundred miles away  but only minutes by jet fighter.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Stuart Caruk

I used to fly out of Powell River B.C. Back then Comox across the straight was a nuclear strike airbase and off limits to us except in case of a dire emergency. They used to fly F104's and often took off in sorties of 4 aircraft and then split into 2 aggressors and 2 intercepters. The game was for the aggressors to sneak up on the airbase before being caught.

Using the islands for cover those buggers would come screaming through the inlets at a ridiculously low altitude. At least a couple times a year they would feel their oats and all 4 would come whipping up Theodosia Arm and go into a 4 aircraft afterburner climb, often blowing out all the windows in the camp. It was good fun, although the taxpayers got to foot the bill.

I still owe the SOB's that buzzed me flying a 185 on Amphib floats. Minding my own business on a dreary day with constant drizzle coming down Knights inlet. I was all nestled up to the terrain doing the keep the wingtip equidistant from the trees routine to feel my way through the murk. I noticed an odd sight out the left window. Lo and behold it was a 104 with teeny tiny wings. He had all the high lift and drag producing devices out, gear down and ridiculously nose high as he bobbled around at what must have been near his fall out of the sky like a rock speed. I watched he waved, and I could almost see the grin on his face as the bang hit... Ever see 3 104's coming whipping up past you right up next to the terrain and do a full afterburner climb up into the murk... The last guy cleaned up and disappearred. My seat cushion somehow disappeared as well...
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

pine

Quote from: LaneC on February 10, 2016, 04:55:00 PM
  Every now and then a Coast Guard jet would be very low and fast close to the platform and we would get one. They are massive when they are that low. As far as legality goes, the golden rule applies, He who has the gold makes the rules.

Not likely a Coast Guard jet unless they are flying something  that is not publicly known.  Most likely a Navy jet with special paint jobs flown out of Patuxent River or Pt Mugu if you're in those areas. 
In theory unless on an active Norad intercept, military jets are limited to subsonic below 30000 ft over land in restricted areas.  There are a few restricted areas over land that does not apply but not many, (Nevada California, Utah).  Off shore, in alert areas are free game however.

Rules were different back in 60's and early 70's.  Also they may have changed in the last 20 years but I doubt that they have gotten less restrictive only more restrictive.

florida

We used to get the sonic booms when the Space Shuttle landed. It would sure make you get out oi bed when it came over at night. One big boom and just enough time to ask yourself if the world was ending before you got hammered with the second one! I loved it.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

LaneC

Pine, I do not know the areas you are referring to, however I am talking about the Gulf of Mexico region. They may have been Navy jets, but there were x military folks on board who also called them as being Coast Guard aircraft. Their paint jobs had the Coast guard white and Orange stripe which look like their boats. Either way the booms which were created were very spectacular.

Magicman

I had not thought about it, but thinking back, I have not heard a boom in years.  In the past, they were quite often.   ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

I've only heard one, and that was over 30 years ago.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Mooseherder

Growing up near Loring AFB we used to hear them fairly often. :)

DanG

We get very little military jet traffic here even though we aren't all that far from several bases.  I haven't heard a boom since the space shuttle went away.  :-\
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Brucer

We used to hear them regularly in southern BC during the 1950's and early 60's, mostly from fighters flying out of Fairchild AFB at Spokane, Wa.

There's an interesting (and true) story about the Blue Angels putting on a demonstration in Kelowna, BC in 1969. The Angels were doing a practice run in the morning in preparation for the afternoon performance. One of the pilots was a little slow getting into position and accelerated to Mach 0.97 to get into formation. Just as he was getting positioned, the formation crossed the shoreline of Lake Okanagan, where the air was much cooler (and the speed of sound slightly lower). For a brief moment he was now flying above the speed of sound, causing a shock wave that blew out most of the windows in the 8 block downtown core.

There were injuries, but none of them critical. The mess was cleaned up and the airshow went ahead as scheduled. The US Navy footed the bill for replacing the glass -- a quarter million dollars (in 1969 dollars).
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Ozarker

I don't recollect the year it happened, but sonic booms were banned, except in cases of "national emergency". So, who knows what's going on, or why.

Thank You Sponsors!