iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thinking of making an edger using bandsaw blades...any suggestions??

Started by pa_of_6, February 10, 2016, 10:44:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pa_of_6

Well, been thinking about it for awhile now, but still haven't done it.
An edger with two bandsaw blades instead of circular saws.

I haven't got it figured out yet...but thought I would throw it out to the folks that might have some thoughts on it.

Figure that the bands would last a long time...and having the equipment to sharpen them would be no big deal.

SO...any thoughts???
Open to all thoughts and suggestions.

And afterwards I may build it or....I may decide that there is no possible way that it would work and scrap the whole idea.

Other than using bandsaw blades,
Things I have thought about
-hydraulic board feed
-hydraulic board width (would be great to have a accuset2 to control the width...punch and go)
- whether to have the band run side by side or one in front of the other.

All thoughts accepted and valued!

Kbeitz

I'll be watchin this...
I'm aslo wanting to build something...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Percy

Thats a good idea, specially if you could modify the input to accept flitches AND small pecker pole type logs. The setworks might be a bit of an issue seeing as you will have to move atleast one vertical bandsaw everytime you want to shange sizes. I think Baker made an edger like this at one time, maybey still do..??
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Kbeitz

Thinking one blade setup. loop it around to saw both sides.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

dnalley

What about where the blade crosses itself?  Can you get enough flex and still maintain tracking on the wheels?

Dave Shepard

That would most likely be a recipe for low flex life, if you could get it to track at all. I've thought about a band edger before, but I think you would want to run a batch of boards, and then shut it down, but maybe resaw bands can take the flexing. WM has something like it. I think it's called the TVS, or something like that.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

beenthere

Kbeitz drawing leads me to this.. cutting on the up and the down, with the four wheels adjusted in/out for width settings, (two large diam. wheels for drive and to reduce blade bending, and two smaller wheels to just guide the blade out of the cut) all the while maintaining alignment and blade tension...  ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pa_of_6

was thinking 2 blades...but one blade just might work with the rhombus effect to change width...but keep band length/tension the same.
Great idea

drobertson

Lots going on there,  I was thinking two heads, independent, but it still seems like over kill to me, the old single mandrel is proven, and efficient.   Maintenance has to be considered in this venture, and it looks like a pile of it with a band system, looks like a potential for a major shut down in the event of down time not that common with conventional edgers, not trying to be negative, it sounds fun to build, just a head scratch er as to why,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

DMcCoy

Stationary (flitch) on a table with replaceable wood slat supports.
2 Harbor freight circle saws on a 4 wheel carriage.
1 Guide track, one non guide track.
Power feed.
?

Seavee

I would think blade cost and life span compared to circular blades my make it cost more than its worth. I may be wrong just an opinion.
Wood mizer lt50 47hp yanmar Diesel  Sthil MS311, Ms661 MS200T, 029 farm boss  and a New Holland T4  75hp.

Ianab

That's what I was thinking... What's the advantage with going with bands?

The kerf doesn't matter because you run the wider circle blade in the waste wood anyway.

I can see how bands make sense for a resaw, where the thinner kerf produces an extra board from the cant, so 10% better recovery makes up for a bit more maintenance. But for an edger?
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Dave Shepard

This is the WM machine I mentioned. I think it would be pretty close to what you are talking about, although this is set up like a scrag mill.

https://youtu.be/gLi6QuHE3jA
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

pa_of_6

yep...that sure is what I am talking about.
Didn't know they made one like that!

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

Me too.  Since my business is 99+% portable there would be no gain for me to transport an edger.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ohio_Bill

Quote from: DMcCoy on February 10, 2016, 03:55:55 PM
Power feed.
?

Interesting concept.  Kbeitz what do you think ?
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

Kbeitz

Quote from: Dave Shepard on February 11, 2016, 08:53:14 AM
This is the WM machine I mentioned. I think it would be pretty close to what you are talking about, although this is set up like a scrag mill.

Not what I would want for an edger.
I want something to cut the live edge off boards already cut.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Quote from: Ohio_Bill on February 11, 2016, 09:16:18 AM
Quote from: DMcCoy on February 10, 2016, 03:55:55 PM
Power feed.
?

Interesting concept.  Kbeitz what do you think ?

Could work.

I have been thinking about what I want to build for a long time.
I even started one with just one blade and was going to put a power feed unit on it.
But I think I'm going to wait untill the big aimsh auction this spring and hope to
find a fixer upper board edger. If not then I just think I will just copy and build one.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Kbeitz on February 11, 2016, 09:23:31 AM
Quote from: Dave Shepard on February 11, 2016, 08:53:14 AM

Not what I would want for an edger.
I want something to cut the live edge off boards already cut.

I wasn't suggesting it be used as an edger, but as a representation of the OP's suggested concept. I personally don't see the merits of a band edger. You have all the feed and alignment issues of a conventional edger, with the added expense of two separate bandwheel assemblies that have to maintain alignment, with a further expense of bandsaw blades that will require maintenance and replacement more often than the two blades in a circular saw style edger.

Kbeitz

It's really tough finding a sliding collered shaft wit saw blade arbors.
If I could find that I woyld be building already.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

drobertson

Dave S,  I had you figured for giving an idea on how it could work too,  fact is that is a scragg saw, sort of, really slow one,  maybe just for demo purposes,  the only advantage I see with bands would be the capacity options, but at the feeds most edging needs to be done, straightness would be compromised. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!