iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberjack 200 series

Started by Jwinter, October 16, 2004, 08:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jwinter

Hello, I'm looking to buy a 200 series Timberjack, most likely leaning towards a 230. Any advice on what series is better (D,E,Super E).  How are the winches as far as reliability is concerned. Lastly,  are they easier to work on, compared to other machines of the same vintage.

Thanks,
John

Ron Scott

Many Timberjack 230A forwarders are used here. They seem to be a very good machine with few breakdowns. There are a number of Timberjacks pictured in the Timber Harvest Methods and Equipment Thread.  
~Ron

HORSELOGGER

Did Timberjack ever make a smaller skidder than the 230 series?
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

Ron Scott

The Timberjack skidders, first produced in 1961, came with a small gas or deisel engine. It was a smaller machine, but I don't know if it was a 100 model or not.

The Timberjack and Tree Farmer were both about the same size originally. They started off with a snmll unit to replace the horse and then they started getting bigger and bigger.
~Ron

bighoss550

is a 230 a better machine than a C5D??  i dont wanna start a fight, so if this a heated topic, just leave it alone:) ill delete it if we start fightin:D

Corley5

I had a TJ 230 cable machine on loan from some friends for two winters and loved it 8)  It was one of the green ones a 1997 I think with a four cylinder Cummins engine.  They've since sold it and in way I wish I'd have bit the bullet and bought it as it only had 1,300 hours on it and was in super shape all around but then I'd have had to put it to work to pay for it and it wouldn't have been a toy anymore.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

David_c

timberjack made a 208 that is smaller than the 230.

Sawyerfortyish

I run a 230d and have owned it 15 yrs it's a 1974 and for what it's worth on a trade I won't part with it. Its been very reliable and easy to work on. Mine has a 353 detroit that I replaced 2yrs ago. Just put new rubber in the back and new ring chains on the front. It's working everyday right now is very easy on fuel no matter how hard it works. I  would buy another in a heartbeat.
  As long as the winch don't leak oil and the brake band is good and holds tight and the cluches release the cable to spool out and engauge the cable the pull in the winches are very dependable.
 The smallest Timberjack was the 208 then there is the 225 all these machines i've seen are pretty much the same.

HORSELOGGER

So what are you guys that are using these smaller skidders, and also sawing, spending a year to run a mechanical skidder? What kind of average production ( I know, whats "average") could a guy get if he was falling timber and skidding by himself? What are the maintenance and upkeep costs?
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

HORSELOGGER

Ohio_Bill

I can shut off my old skidder and walk away for 2 weeks and the SPCA won't be looking for my when I come back.  
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

HORSELOGGER

Hey Bill, whats the SPCA??From the tone of yer post,( can a post have a tone?) you must think I'm tryin to compare and show how horses are "better" than skidders. You would be wrong. I am curious what the actual costs are and what kind of production a guy can get with a skidder working on his own as I do with my horses, mostly for the sake of understanding the figures some guys I bid against for timber are using.I already believe that horses are better ;)thats why I use em.You obviously dont think so, but it was never the intent of my questions to start a mines bettern yers post

Bruce_A

Production is dependent on type of work.  Horses work great in thinning tight stands.  Open up to straight runs 10-12 feet wide and small skidder stands out.  20 foot trails and flat to 20 degrees and a small shovel is my preference.  And timber size and distance to the landing is the critical factor on all of it.

SwampDonkey

Father had a tree farmer from the 60's. He bought it used from a cousin and had sold his horse. We used it to cut pulp, cedar rails and stovewood and a few nice big hardwood logs. Also, cut our own spruce for building potato sheds on the farm. I remember working in our nicest cedar stand on the farm, being carefull and just thinning it out. After three years you didn't even know we were in there. If ya didn't know where to look for the trail you would never know there was a skidder in there that is for sure. He sold the tree farmer 4 years ago and the young feller used it the clear a building lot for his house and I think his father uses it now. It could sit out behind the barn for several months, and father only had to put the battery back into it and it would start right off, like new. It did have some trouble toward the end with its winch, but I beleive it wasn't too big of a deal to fix up. I liked that old skidder, but our ground was not hilly or gullied, was a flat as the kitchen floor, which is a dream to work on too. I see some of the steep terrain folks work on now, mostly those lots no one would cut before, and I shake my head. ::)

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ohio_Bill

Sorry Guys my comment was meant to mean the level of commitment to a old skidder is less than what  would be needed  to take care of animals. I am part time in this business and would not be able to care for them .

thanks

Bill
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

sealdiver

I am trying to sell a 1962 Timberjack 205 previously owned by a deceased family member. He bought it around 1965 and ran it full time until about 1974. Since then he just played around with it. It has a Ford motor that runs and a rebuilt winch that hasn't hauled a tree in 15 years or more. He called Timberjack about 10 years ago in Woodstock, Ontario to inquire about a new manual and they gave it to him free of charge. They said this machine was 1 year older than one they had displayed on their front lawn and were interested in buying it. He said he wouldn't part with it until he died.
Well, here we are. Does anyone know what something like this would be worth or who might be interested in it. ???

leweee

Welcome sealdiver....try them folks in woodstock again....they might pay the most for it. ;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Hoop

IMHO, A Timberjack 230 is 10 times the machine a Tree Farmer C5 purports to be. 

Timberjacks are work horses.  Problems I've seen with them usually have to do with the mast & loader. Forget what year(s) it happened, but weak pins in the boom would break.  The operator was unaware of the break until the entire boom broke off.
I've seen Timberjacks horrifically abused.......and they manage to keep rolling.

C5's are just plain money pits.  They finally fixed the horrendous problems with the planetaries, but nearly everything else will fall apart.  I wouldn't suggest ANYONE purchasing one unless it was very very cheap or free.
A young guy I work with had the misfortune of buying a C5 in May.  Paid $10,000 for the machine & $15,000 for repairs.  The machine is now parked as he can't afford to run it.

Don't get me wrong.  One machine (albeit a very worn out one) doesn't base my opinion.  Worn out iron is worn out iron......regardless of the make.

Sawyerfortyish

I,m still workin my 1974-230. The detroits are loud but for a days work with a 1/2 to 3/4 mile skid on a downslope it only burns 5 gallon of fuel. That means a lot with the way fuel prices are and the down market for red oak. I've been wanting a 380 grapple skidder but i'm sooo glad I didn't do it. I hung on to my 230. As dependable as it is it just might out last me :-\ The 230 is a small machine that can realy get around in the woods. Nobody builds a small machine anymore  :'(  All the skidders built today are big monsters.
I agree with leweee that company will probably pay the most for your skidder just to sit out front.

SwampDonkey

If they are only building 'monster' skidders these days it's unfortunate. A lot of woodlot owners don't want them on their lots. On the other hand I have seen those big John Deere skidders do a good job taking aspen,  scattered fir and thinning hardwood from hardwood stands. All in the job layout, operator and the lay of the land. The perception with a monster skidder heading to a woodlot is that it will be clearcut. Unfortunately, in my kneck of the woods it's mostly true.  :(

Sealdiver, I wanna see your pin on the 'member's map'. Link up top. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

timberjack240

HORSELOGGER
timberjack made a 205 207 208 217 225 and then a 230. i think seen sumthin about a 200 or sumthin but im not really sure. these are the only machnies that ive see or read about that i no of that are smaller than the 230. ive seen the 208 talked to a guy with a 207 ran a 225 and read about the 05,15 and the 17. the one 208 had a deutz and the other 2 a detroit. the 207 had a perkins and our 225 has a detroit. oh ye i also know two guys that had and the other guy still has 230. the one guy really liek his he just sold cause he didnt nbeed it and the other really likes his. they seem like theyd be a good machin but myself ill take a 240 anyday jsut because you get a little bigger motor and  a heavier drive train ( which most likely for me is needed at times ;D )

sealdiver

I have a correction about the skidder I mentioned earlier. It is a 1962 Model 200, the first model they made and it is in very good condition for the year with very little use. It hasn't been worked in over 30 years (third set of tires)but it has been run a couple of times a year since then to do little jobs like haul an old car into the woods or something like that. It would be a good machine for someone that would be using it on a private wood lot. I know it isn't worth much but for someone that is interested in antique equipment it might be. I know people restore old dozers, tractors, etc. but I haven't heard of anyone restoring a skidder. I can't seem to get in touch with Timberjack anymore because everything redirects me to John Deere. Go figure.
If anyone knows someone that would be interested, please let me know.
Thanks,
Seal Diver

oldman1922

Hi Just wondering if you ever sold the the Timberjack 205. If not give me a call.  902 687 3338

madmari

I just got a '73 230D and I really like it so far. It's been pulling wood for 4 days, all heavy oak and maple. About a 1/3mile skid on really rough terrain. Using about 5 gallons a day (7 hours run time).

The good- Easy to maintain. Grease fitiings are easy to reach, and you can see everything. Easy to get on and off for the driver. Stable as all get out. Eaton axles are tough- huge planetary gears. Detroit is bulletproof, parts are easy to get.

The bad- it's orange. ;D

Find someone to work with you. 1 feller/limbing, 1 skidding. Works good and will more than double production of one man. Safer, too.

I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

a old timberjack

:-\  the orange thing......that hurt.
H.T. LOGGING and Trucking, llc, GREENE, Rhode Island

Thank You Sponsors!