iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

031 stihl, common isues?

Started by zach613, February 08, 2016, 10:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zach613

My cousin has a 031 he said i can have to tinker with. said some times it runs great when it runs. but most days it will not run. said many years ago had fixed some wire or something electrical by a dealer. I haven't picked the saw up yet, but wondering if theirs anything frequent i should look into first besides compression. and clean carb. or that should be updated?

CTYank

Search "inline spark tester" which will let you look at how the ignition's behaving when/if it cuts out. Real easy to use and cheap. Sounds like the connection to the kill switch may have been worked on. Should be easy to check for shorts to chassis ground. It kills the ignition by shorting that module terminal to ground.
Lots of luck working around plastic.  ::)
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

sawguy21

Be patient with it, the 031 is not the easiest saw to work on. Check compression by suspending the saw by the rope handle, it should not drop from it's own weight. If it passes that test check spark with a tester, Autozone, Pep Boys or similar stores should carry them. Give it a try, if it doesn't start squirt a spritz of gas into the carburetor. DON'T use starting fluid.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!