iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Non-Splitting Leveling Boards

Started by Magicman, February 08, 2016, 08:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I have been using SYP 2' & 4' long 2X10's for leveling boards for both the sawmill and camper, but after a period of time they split and need replacing.  Of course I have Pecan, Hickory, Elm, Sweetgum, Hackberry and whatever else available for sawing.

They would be subject to being wet as well as drying out.  My question is which species would be the best for leveling boards?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

1ruralmailman

if it was me,and i had it available locust would be my choice.wont matter if its outdoors,and is tough as nails as it gets older.

goose63

MM you hates sweetgum why not use that
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Magicman

Black Locust would not rot, but it splits easily.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

I would go with a spiral grain wood like sweetgum.  Has spiral grain that resists splitting.  Also plentiful and easy to replace if it gets rotten.  You also have plenty of it.  If you don't keep your head turned, it will sprout up behind your back  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

I have several red oak boards about 12-14" X 8" X2" long I use under the pads on the mill and they seem to be holding up pretty good. I know not in your listed available woods but the next time you come across some might think about setting a few of them aside.

Until then I agree with the spiral/cross grain woods like sweetgum.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Yes, I have an abundance of Red Oak and also Walnut and Cherry that I could use.  ;D

sandsawmill14

white oak/ post oak will last the longest i would think. its what we use for bridges and trailer floors :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Magicman

I am not concerned with them rotting, just splitting.

sandsawmill14

that w/o is pretty hard to split especially if it is out of the 2nd cut with some knots to curl the grain :)
post oak is hard to split too i had 2 2 1/2 x 12s we used for trailer ramps for years and never had a problem other than the weight :o
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

Percy

You look tough for 72. How about small cement patio stones?? Never rot, hopefully never split, just kinda heavy...that where the tuff part comes in....
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

blackfoot griz

Quote from: Percy on February 09, 2016, 12:50:32 AM
You look tough for 72. How about small cement patio stones?? Never rot, hopefully never split, just kinda heavy...that where the tuff part comes in....

MM,
He has some good points! Thanks for the laugh Percy!

Peter Drouin

If you're going to keep the pads for the next job cut 1" 12"x12", put them in opposing grain patten and screw together.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Skip

Red elm ,best trailer decking there is, some old barns around here have red elm floors tough stuff . My second choice would be yellow locust

drobertson

White oak would be my choice,  stay away from the center cuts of course, or just laminate some plywood pieces,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

21incher

Make a sandwich with 3/4 pressure treated plywood and they will never split or rot. I also have a batch of 12" x 12" and 6" x 6" pt plywood squares to use under the tongue. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I do not have Post Oak and no White Oak that I would be willing to fell.  I will be sawing some concrete form boards from Red Oak soon, so that may be the easiest thing to do.  I am almost scrapping that idea as I type because of weight. 

My mind keeps going to Sweetgum if I can dry it without it cupping.  It should be lighter.

sealark37

Heavy equipment mechanics prefer sweet gum and/or elm for blocking that resists splitting.  If you want your boards to resist moisture damage, coat with tung oil or polyurethane.    Regards, Clark

Kbeitz

I coat boards with a 50/50 deisel and tar mix... Works great.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

beenthere

Add some steel pads on the levelers to make a larger area in contact with the leveling boards to lessen the splitting.
Then use whatever is at hand.    just a thought without being there and up close to the problem ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

As per Wood-Mizer instructions, on sloping ground, the downhill side (wheel) is pulled up onto boards for the initial leveling.  2X10's give you some flotation and prevents the boards from disappearing into soft ground.  Of course this wider board also is more prone to split with the weight in the center.  While sawing a large job, there is some sawmill movement and the tire can partially walk off of a narrow board, but I do also carry a couple of 2' long 2X6'S.  2X6's are much less prone to split.  It is all a trade off. 

I also occasionally drive off and leave a sawdust covered board.  Several times I have gone back later to a repeat customer and found a "runaway" board.

Thank You Sponsors!