iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Central Boiler E-Classic 2300 problems

Started by Mocha2324, February 08, 2016, 07:19:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mocha2324

Hi everyone, 7 years ago I was on this site learning from you all on how to run my new outdoor wood boiler. All of the tips, tricks the do's and don'ts were very helpful. I felt the brotherhood of wood boiler owners support comforting even if my boiler wasn't the best or most popular. I am now faced with a tough choice. I've changed or replaced just about everything on the boiler and followed all of the updates and requests from the manufacturer. Last week a leak developed on the inside jacket where a ledge was formed to hold the fire bricks.
My business includes welding so I'm have the tools to repair the liner. The problem is that the liner isn't really repairable and should be replaced. Patching holes is just that, patching. I've discussed the situation with Central Boiler and as near as I can figure it would cost me 4 to 5 thousand dollars. They are not committing to any number and will not provide any real direction until such time as the unit is on their property.
I've read others story that are similar to mine and I think it's time we should do something that sends a clear message the less that honest way Central Boiler has represented their product and conducted themselves in regards to warranty issues. I have invested a considerable sum with Central Boiler. I cannot see putting in another 10 thousand so soon. I think I'm back to oil. Regards 

stratford 50

That is the exact same thing that happened to me, but I bit the bullet and purchased a new 2400 model, all my plumbing and buildings were sort of geared towards an easy change out with a new CB, I will agree it was disappointing to only get 7 or so years out of the 2300 but I'm quite pleased with the performance with the new furnace. Good luck

doctorb

My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

stratford 50

I know of 4 2300 furnaces within 5 miles of my location, doctorb I had to exhale 10 grand plus, not fun LOL

stumper

These boilers have a 10 year warranty.  Are you saying the CB is not honoring the warranty?

beenthere

May depend on what is warranted, and how the warranty reads...
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ecrane99

i had a leak 2 yrs ago on my 2300. it was a hairline crack on the left side just under the air channel. The local shop send a welder to fix it at no charge.  Unit has been in service for 8 yrs. No leaks since the repair. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxzPLvtyr2w
Ed

VTwoodworker

I had the exact same crack in a weld 4 years into my eclassic.  I was told also that I needed to ship the boiler back to them.  They looked at the pics of the cracked welds and told me that it was caused by corrosion so it was not covered under warranty.  It was obvious that the weld was defective and I asked that they send a factory rep to inspect it but they do not have anyone "qualified" that travels.  So the game is that you pay to ship it to them and they determine that it is corrosion and you pay them to re-build it or to ship it back to you.  The warranty is worthless on these and I will not pay Central Boiler a penny to do the repairs.  I hope that I can stay ahead of the cracks and leaks for another couple of years before I replace it at 10 years.

go green

I have a 2007 Model 2300 still working well.  I do monitor the inhibitor and inspect the firebox as shown in the manual.  Firebox looked very good on my last 6 month inspection and I expect it should make another 9 years.   It has paid for itself many times with savings on heat bill.

superwd6

no leaks here yet but i can understand why you may go back to oil. Ive recovered the cost and then some from installing my 2300 in 2009 but propane is half the cost that it was back then ::) Plus work gives an extra .10 cents a litre off retail ;D. heat exchanger warranty on mine is 100% for 5 years then pro rated till max of 10. Central Boiler SHOULD be offfering you a good discount on a new 2400 or Edge model instead of hosing you to fix the old one ;) ;D

Mocha2324

Just an update, some have wondered about the warranty. It's confusing at best and as best as I can determine it is pro-rated on a 10 year basis for the firebox. In my case it would have been around 50% of the purchase price. I could not get CB to commit to anything amount without investing more money and potentially loosing the investment entirely if after being sent to CB for evaluation I choose not to have repairs made at my cost. I still am not sure what the 25 year warranty covered perhaps is was just a need to fill a brochure with something. I reached out the the State of NH DOT as they have boilers in many districts, makes sense they always got wood. The State indicated that several of the stoves have had problems and some have been returned to CB for repairs. The State indicated they are not worried as they have a 25 year warranty.

superwd6

update :-[ mine has a pin hole in it letting water shoot to the centre of the stove  :D . 7 winters old. used sheet metal screw to plug for now and sent picts to the dealer  :embarassed:

r.man

Lots of them leak prematurely, whether they are made by CB or other manufacturers but I do think that CB is avoiding warranty claims unfairly. We may hear more about it since there are so many CBs out there. I do know that many successful longer term " patches " have been done on OWBs, especially if the problem is at a weld, so I would consider repair as an option.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Broncorm

Fired up the e-2300 today for its 7th season. It's sprung a leak. Got to wait until it goes out now and try to figure out where. How's everyone making out with their warrantys on these leaks? Is there a common place that they a rotted out?

overclocking

Quote from: Broncorm on October 12, 2017, 08:10:52 PM
Fired up the e-2300 today for its 7th season. It's sprung a leak. Got to wait until it goes out now and try to figure out where. How's everyone making out with their warrantys on these leaks? Is there a common place that they a rotted out?

Some may not agree with me on this, but CB doesn't have a warranty, they just have a nice sticker on the front that is good for looks and not much else. They almost never warrant the boilers, after the reps come out and look at them they will tell you its your fault somehow or that you had burned garbage or didn't use enough ashtrol. I would most certainly pursue it, but be prepared to shell out some coin to have them do the repair or even possibly pay to ship it back. Don't get me wrong, I love mine when its up and running properly, but if you look up consumer complaints you will see hundreds of stories about the warranty process.

Logging logginglogging

Quote from: superwd6 on March 27, 2016, 04:32:42 PM
update :-[ mine has a pin hole in it letting water shoot to the centre of the stove  :D . 7 winters old. used sheet metal screw to plug for now and sent picts to the dealer  :embarassed:

exact thing that happened to me........ i ended up paying 11+ grand for the 750 edge that keeps killing primary solenoids every 24hrs of burn time.

superwd6

I made it through the end of 2016 then had local guy weld hole. A #2 sheet metal screw only went in 1 turn as metal was still solid around it. Last year was perfect and just started heating this year on Tuesday. My dealer gave me new air channel kit and part for gasification hole. Not sure if he got warranty money back from Central for welder or not but I'm happy.

Logging logginglogging

I loved my 2300, it was awesome. I ended up doing like you with a sheet metal screw to finish out last winter.

overclocking

Quote from: Logging logginglogging on October 26, 2017, 09:00:33 AM
Quote from: superwd6 on March 27, 2016, 04:32:42 PM

exact thing that happened to me........ i ended up paying 11+ grand for the 750 edge that keeps killing primary solenoids every 24hrs of burn time.

My 1400 was doing that, I went to lowes and grabbed a steel spring and wrapped it around the lid and under the inlet to put closed pressure on it and it worked. It was melting the top of the metal piece inside it from being open to long. The spring puts down pressure on it, apparently just enough to stop it from doing that.

Logging logginglogging

i had to actually get rid of my spring.... the down pressure held it down tight and a thin coat of creosote would stick the plate down in between cycles, when it tried to open it burned up.
now its working well with no spring.

Thank You Sponsors!