iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pine cookies

Started by kelLOGg, February 08, 2016, 01:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

I cut a cookie off of a pine stump with the mill 14 months ago in hopes of making an end table if it didn't crack. I put it in the first floor of the barn in a corner where it didn't get much air flow for a year then on the 2nd floor for the past 2 months. It did get a little green mold on it which sanded off very nicely and sustained only very fine cracks which don't even show up in the pic. So far I am very pleased. I know it needs more drying; it is 3" thick and 20" dia. Any advice on continuing the drying?

The next effort is 6 more pine cookies. I cut them from a different stump which caught my attention because of the density of growth rings. The tree was only ~18" dia at the butt but was about 200 years old. Here's a pic of one taken of the pith to the bark. There are unfortunate holes around the pith which looks like wood was pulled put when it was felled. All six of the cookies show these holes ???.
I am planning on drying them as I did the first one. Any advice on these to prevent cracking? They range in thickness from 2.3" to 3".

Here's all seven.

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Deese

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Ljohnsaw

The bark looks like Ponderosa Pines out here.  Hate to say it, but I think you will get cracks :-\  You just can't cheat physics.  The other 6 cookies, how long have they been cut?  Is the pullout you noted on both sides of the cookies?  You could always fill with an appropriate colored epoxy.

Good luck!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

beenthere

QuoteAny advice on these to prevent cracking?

As John said, they will crack...  eventually. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

kelLOGg

Quote from: ljohnsaw on February 08, 2016, 03:26:09 PM
The bark looks like Ponderosa Pines out here.  Hate to say it, but I think you will get cracks :-\  You just can't cheat physics.  The other 6 cookies, how long have they been cut?  Is the pullout you noted on both sides of the cookies?  You could always fill with an appropriate colored epoxy.

Good luck!

Not cracking in 14 months gave me hope but...  >:( I'll try not to expect too much from them.
The 6 cookies were cut yesterday and the pullout goes through both sides of all of them. Apparently when they cut it the falling trunk pulled the two strips through 18 inches of stump. I wasn't there when it was felled but it was a real butcher job judging from the top of the stump. It looked like someone used a chainsaw as an axe.
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Deese

Polyurethane? I've done a few cedar cookies like that. Sanded them down really smooth and brushed poly on it.
A friend of mine did a huge osage orange cookie tabletop like that. I'll try to find the picture.
Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

Here is a big Osage Orange cookie that I cut for a friend.

And here it is after he sanded it down and coated it with Polyurethane. Not sure why the color is different. I took the above picture and he texted me the pic below. But regardless, it turned out real nice  ;D

Cooks AE4P Edger

OlJarhead

One thing I've done with cracked pine cookies is to fill the cracks with epoxy resin.  Seems to work very well and once coated with Parks Super glaze they look great.

You'll have to 'dam' up the sides and underneath when filling so the resin fills the crack but once done it leaves a nice finish.
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

kelLOGg

Quote from: Deese on February 08, 2016, 05:30:15 PM

And here it is after he sanded it down and coated it with Polyurethane. Not sure why the color is different. I took the above picture and he texted me the pic below. But regardless, it turned out real nice  ;D

It surely did turn out nice! Did he fill the cracks with contrasting epoxy? It sure is dramatic, esp. the ring pattern.
Bob

kelLOGg

Does anyone have ideas for legs for cookie end tables? There used to be a sponsor to the left. I'm thinking of some sort of steel legs I could make or buy.

beenthere

Go to sponsor logRite and look at their legs section.

http://www.logrite.com/store/Category/legs
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tule peak timber

Some recent cookie leg designs. Another batch coming out of the oven tomorrow (pics ) The sky is the limit on leg design . Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

OlJarhead

First one I did -- made the mistake of using Elmers wood glue before switching to epoxy but it worked out

Love the Parks Super Glaze

My latest -- not finished yet but almost.  Those are coins from my second hitch and I always wanted to do something like this with them.

Oh and this was an old chopping block I 'repurposed' lol

kelLOGg

Wow! I asked and did I ever get some answers. Thanks. Old jar. if my pine cookies turn out like yours I'll be very pleased. What was your drying conditions?

OlJarhead

Quote from: kelLOGg on February 08, 2016, 09:12:01 PM
Wow! I asked and did I ever get some answers. Thanks. Old jar. if my pine cookies turn out like yours I'll be very pleased. What was your drying conditions?

I had them in a garage in central WA.  No air moving, no heat or AC....can't remember how long I left them sit but I'm guessing 2 months or so.

I'll find a pic of the cookies after cutting them...pretty rough since they were old and already rotting LOL

OlJarhead

Before I used epoxy I made the mistake of using wood glue.  I don't recommend it!  Why not?  It dries a yellow color!  DOH  :o

After sanding off the wood glue as best I could I shifted to epoxy and am happy I did!

You can see just how rough this cookie was!  LOL

But it made this:

69bronco

Rob, you are the official Cookie Monster!!

kelLOGg

kelLOGg

I had them in a garage in central WA.  No air moving, no heat or AC....can't remember how long I left them sit but I'm guessing 2 months or so.

Central WA is desert-like, right?  If so, that would make them dry fast.
Bob

OlJarhead

Yes.  Thought it was in the fall and damp out.  This was an old chopping block that I decided to try to utilize this way so it was old and dry to start with too.

Deese

Quote from: kelLOGg on February 08, 2016, 07:39:02 PM
Quote from: Deese on February 08, 2016, 05:30:15 PM

It surely did turn out nice! Did he fill the cracks with contrasting epoxy? It sure is dramatic, esp. the ring pattern.
Bob

I'm not sure what he did. I think he just slapped on a bunch of polyurethane. Makes me wish I would have kept a piece for myself.
Cooks AE4P Edger

cbla

OlJarhead, what brand of epoxy resin did u use?

OlJarhead

Quote from: cbla on February 10, 2016, 11:09:39 AM
OlJarhead, what brand of epoxy resin did u use?

I believe it was loctite but I'd have to check.

Thank You Sponsors!