iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Interesting winter wheel chains

Started by ~smokey~, February 08, 2016, 03:55:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

~smokey~

Never seen anything like these, I would imagine under certain circumstances they would come in pretty handy.

https://youtu.be/IPd3O5_SJEs

snowstorm

there are a few fire trucks and oil trucks with them. the trouble with them is they only work if the truck is moving

Ocklawahaboy

Looks like if they were not lined up just right they would beat your side walls to death.  It is interesting to see what y'all put yourselves through up there though.

Skip

All the school buses here have them,.

coxy

if your going to slow they don't work they just hit the in side of the tire  I think they are the worst thing they ever invented it makes SOME people think they can go any place

yukon cornelius

We had them on all fire trucks and ambulances. Ours got stuck either up or or down often.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

bill m

The "Onspot" brand seam to be the most popular in this area. Just about every Oil, Propane, Ambulance and firetruck have them.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

JJ

I've seen them in action on school bus and oil trucks; they do work.  All emergency trucks and ambulances have them in in this area as well.
since spun by tire rotation, I do not see how they could damage sidewalls, but do no good if not moving.

JJ

kensfarm

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: JJ on February 08, 2016, 10:41:43 PM
I've seen them in action on school bus and oil trucks; they do work.  All emergency trucks and ambulances have them in in this area as well.
since spun by tire rotation, I do not see how they could damage sidewalls, but do no good if not moving.

JJ

Take a look again at the video around 1:20 - the tires were spinning and then deployed the roto-grip and off they go.  That is a really neat invention!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

starmac

They work, sort of. Quite a few truckers installed them, some because they had the fancy fenders and couldn't chain up, others because you can legally run without chaining up when the chain law is up, but if ou need chains, they do not cut it. lol
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

hamish

Quote from: snowstorm on February 08, 2016, 06:43:34 AM
there are a few fire trucks and oil trucks with them. the trouble with them is they only work if the truck is moving

Well that's kind of the whole point of any tire chain system...............to get moving.................
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

~smokey~

Even if the vehicle isn't moving I'm guessing if you get the wheels spinning it would engage the chains, I wonder if they make a cable version of these, they would do less damage to the roads and you wouldn't have the same flailing action of the chains.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ljohnsaw

So I was coming back down the hill from my property (no snow on the roads) and there was a CDF (California Department of Fire) truck (a brush fire truck) and low and behold, there was a handful of short chains hanging down by each back tire.  Guess they use them out here, too.  I'll have to stop in and talk with some of the guys to see how they work in our snow.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Peter Drouin

I wonder how long they last in the salt. :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!