iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Intro......

Started by VT~TreeNerd~ME, February 08, 2016, 12:47:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VT~TreeNerd~ME

Hello everyone. Name's Andrew... I've seen Magicman suggest to lots of people to start with an intro, so here I am.

I'm 34, in Maine, from Vermont, and planning on returning to VT in about 5 years after a house remodel/flip here in ME. I grew up watching my father make violins and furniture, while a printer by trade... and now I make guitars and furniture, and do interior finish work (all when I have time).

I got bit by the "dust bug" last summer. I was working with a spoonmaker up here in Maine for the past few years. (not anymore... different thread, different day...). We had harvested about 15 apple trees from a dying orchard by hand. I trucked the logs down to my house in my F250 bed, and I hired a guy with a WM LT28 to come saw it up for our spoon stock... I swear, as soon as he sliced up that first log, I knew exactly what it was that I want to be doing. Pretty much made up my mind this past Nov that I am going to put everything I have into building a sawyer business.

I've been researching ever since, and it seemed like every 3rd link no matter where I started from would bring me to the FF... So I had to join. It's been a wealth of information already, and I know will be a huge help in the coming years.

I must say... When I first saw what the successful sawyers were saying to the greenhorns, I got a little leery. But then I noticed a word they said might be the key to making it: niche. I'd like to think I have one.... I got to keep half of that Apple from last summer, and have been gifted a 200yo 95 ft tall American Elm (w 3 giant leaders, felled and waiting for me), a few 65 ft White Oaks, and a large Butternut on it's way out... All by friends/family across New England. It's 1000's and 1000's of bf of "starter wood" for the business. I'm also lucky enough to have a co-investor, and a small budget to get a portable mill, since all the slabbing I've been doing thus far has been with an Alaskan mill...

The plan is to get the bandmill and solar kiln up by May. After that, I'm on the road and rounding up that wood!

I stopped working with the spoonmaker up here right around last Thanksgiving... and have been trying to make ends meet and find work ever since. It's been rough, doing odd jobs, but what better time to chase your dream than right after your slate's been cleaned! I'm lucky enough to have a fiance with a great job that loves me enough to be patient with me and help me realize this life goal. She even says that she thinks being a sawyer is my calling. Says I'm at my happiest when I'm slabbing... :)

Anyway.... That's the story. There's other bits going on... I'm a gigging musician as well, and an artist. Basically I like to create, and I love all things wood. When we go back to VT after we sell this place, we'll be building our own timber frame house with the bandmill on the wooded lot we buy...

So that's pretty much it. As I mentioned before, I'm looking to buy a bandmill. I have a $10k budget.... but I'd like to find something a little under that to start... Maybe $7k... Leave myself some wiggle room for other expenses this summer. Any suggestions or direction would be great as far as getting a mill goes.

I'm really excited to be a part of this community you've got going here on FF. Everyone seems really great. Thanks for the warm welcome, and I'm sure I'll be talking to lots of you soon. Cheers!  ;D
........to be determined.

VT~TreeNerd~ME

Here's some pieces from the very first Elm slice, planed up...

Dutch Elm finally got her... Pretty stuff!

beenthere

Good on the Intro. You may best want to put your quest for sawmill in a "wanted" thread in the commerce section of the forum.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

There should be a Wood Mizer show sometime in April in Chesterville. I've been going to that for a few years. Thomas Bandsaw mills,in Brooks have one in May. But both will show off thier mills anytime. Thomas did have moveable bunks to saw short stuff,stove wood lenght,at one time.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Roxie

Welcome to the Forestry Forum!   :)
Say when

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, VT~TreeNerd~ME.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

yukon cornelius

Great intro! Welcome! This place is full of great people!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Magicman

Thanks for a very nice intro.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bruno of NH

Welcome
Sounds like a good plan :)
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

GAB

Quote from: thecfarm on February 08, 2016, 05:43:39 AM
There should be a Wood Mizer show sometime in April in Chesterville. I've been going to that for a few years. Thomas Bandsaw mills,in Brooks have one in May. But both will show off thier mills anytime. Thomas did have moveable bunks to saw short stuff,stove wood lenght,at one time.

It will be on the 16th of April.
Need any Grits?
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Deese

Welcome To The Forestry Forum  :)
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

21incher

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

samandothers

Welcome VT Tree Nerd.  Good intro and answered an earlier question if VT = Vermont or Virginia Tech!  :D

thecfarm

GAB,nope,still have the same box you got from Magicman last year.  ;D  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Ray, I promise that the next thing that you get from me will be delivered in person.  smiley_thumbsup   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bark Beetle

Welcome.  smiley_wavy It is definitely a wonderful community with many great people.
You don't work wood, you work with wood.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Magicman on February 08, 2016, 09:20:34 PM
Ray, I promise that the next thing that you get from me will be delivered in person.  smiley_thumbsup   8)

Look out Ray, Here comes a truck load a grits. :D :D :D

Welcome, TreeNerd.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

petefrom bearswamp

Welcome to the forum.
Next thing for you and fiancee (after the mill purchase) is to get to the pig roast!
Have you looked on the Sawmill Exchange?
The are a sponsor and usually have lots of stuff there.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

GAB

Quote from: thecfarm on February 08, 2016, 09:00:32 PM
GAB,nope,still have the same box you got from Magicman last year.  ;D  ;D

Ray: they say time flies when you are having fun.  You must of had a lot of fun because it was two years ago that we visited with you.  Keep on having fun.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

John Mc

Wecome to the Forestry Forum.

Where in VT are you thinking of relocating?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

VT~TreeNerd~ME

Quote from: John Mc on February 15, 2016, 07:34:51 AM
Wecome to the Forestry Forum.

Where in VT are you thinking of relocating?

I'm from Middletown Springs... between Rutland and Poultney. My brother now has 14 acres on the side of a mountain in Shrewsbury. I'd like to land somewhere near there. Tinmouth, Danby, Mt Tabor, Wallingford, Shrewsbury... But honestly, if the right property were to make itself known, who knows? I drove trucks for 8 years, so having to drive a bit to see family  wouldn't be a big deal. Let's face it... I'm here, so the most important thing about where I wind up isn't the commute... it's how many trees are on the parcel!  ;D

John Mc

I'm a bit north of there, in Monkton (near Vergennes/Hinesburg). My wife works in Middlebury. I don't get down that way much, but will keep an eye out.

Any idea of acreage you are looking for? If you can swing it, I'd be looking for something greater than 27 acres. Vermont's "Use Value" program gives you a big break on property taxes if you enroll in the Forestry (or Agriculture) Use Value program. You need at least 25 acres to get in, and they exclude two acres if you have a house on the property.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Seavee

Great intro. Welcome and good luck.
Wood mizer lt50 47hp yanmar Diesel  Sthil MS311, Ms661 MS200T, 029 farm boss  and a New Holland T4  75hp.

VT~TreeNerd~ME

Quote from: John Mc on February 16, 2016, 08:58:43 AM
I'm a bit north of there, in Monkton (near Vergennes/Hinesburg). My wife works in Middlebury. I don't get down that way much, but will keep an eye out.

Any idea of acreage you are looking for? If you can swing it, I'd be looking for something greater than 27 acres. Vermont's "Use Value" program gives you a big break on property taxes if you enroll in the Forestry (or Agriculture) Use Value program. You need at least 25 acres to get in, and they exclude two acres if you have a house on the property.

Funny you should mention that... I didn't know about that program, but we were thinking 30 acres or more. Thanks for the heads up!

Thank You Sponsors!