iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need to have some bands sharpened

Started by squidboy51, February 07, 2016, 08:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squidboy51

I am new to milling, but have 6 bands of the ten that I bought with my Woodland Mills HM126 that need sharpening.  I am located near North Fork CA, the nearest city is Fresno CA, anybody know a good place to try? I see most posters on the forum are not in my area, hope somebody can help me out, if not I will just buy another pack of ten from one of the forum vendors.
Woodland Mills HM 126, Dresser 125G with 4 way bucket, 1950 Ford 8N, Stihl 048 and MS170, antique Clyde Iron Works (1889-1947) cant hook.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, squidboy51.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

squidboy51

Thanks for the welcome Chuck, I made a few posts with pictures awhile back when I got the mill in the Woodland Mills area on this forum.

Guess there are no forum members in my area, too bad as there is an abundance of bug kill Ponderosa pines needing milling. I did not want to make firewood out of mine and decided to get a hobbyist mill to make fence boards, and lumber for some storage buildings on my place.

squid
Woodland Mills HM 126, Dresser 125G with 4 way bucket, 1950 Ford 8N, Stihl 048 and MS170, antique Clyde Iron Works (1889-1947) cant hook.

drobertson

Howdy and welcome, can't help with the blades you are way out there! ;D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thefarmer76

Welcome to the forum, I too have a Hm126 and am very pleased with the unit.  I opted for the 10 pack as well, without a sharpener.  Although after some research I found that a dremel with a 3/8 stone does a great job!.  Now
Mind you these are blades have not been damaged by impact.  Good luck !

Tom the Sawyer

squidboy51,

With people from all over the world reading these posts, most may have no idea where Moss Landing is.  I didn't until I googled it but adding a better location might help with answers.   ;)
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

thecfarm

Really no help,but I see a 1950 Ford made it all the way to CA.  ;D
I had someone do mine,he stopped doing it. Than I stopped at a hardware store and they told me about someone. Soon as I saw his shop,I knew he was a good one. He use to work at a sawmill. But I might be losing this guy too. He is going through a divorce and talking about moving out West. Maybe ask around,as I did and you might find someone.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ox

Maybe a search for a local sharpening service?, and not specific to bandsaw blades.  Then call them up and see if they can take care of you.  Worth a shot and better than a sharp stick in the eye.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

squidboy51

Wow!

Encouraging to get some replies from experienced sawyers.

Sad, but I live 4 miles from a closed sawmill (fell victim to the spotted owl). The small town of North Fork almost dried up and blew away when the mill closed. So many good jobs were lost. The strong people who live here reached up and pulled themselves out of this hole. Using life skills and work ethic they found jobs in other areas and prosper still. 

Moss Landing, I thought everybody knows where that is ??? The Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute is located there (MBARI). The mile deep Monterey Canyon begins there and is the deepest close by water anywhere.
My wife and I keep a boat in the harbor and enjoy the fishing and all the marine life there.

squid

beenthere

I would still have to use google to figure out where you are...  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Deese

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Ohio_Bill

Hi and welcome . Woodmizer has a resharp program and from what i can tell your mill takes the same band as woodmizers lt10 . You might give them a call and see if they could help. I use there resharp program and am very pleased with it.
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

KirkD

Look for a Lenox distributor that is an "authorized weld center" for band saw blades they also sharpen. There has to be one down there. The one here in Eugene sharpens all types of blades and sells other brands besides Lenox.
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

Ox

Quote from: beenthere on February 10, 2016, 12:11:51 PM
Yep, the only thing I've heard of is Monterey Bay.  Have you heard of Chenango County, NY?   
If not, then how about Coventry Station, Mowry's Hill, Scouten Hill or Burnt Hill?   ;D :D ;)
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Deese

Surely everyone knows where Grady is... :D :D :D
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

KirkD

Quote from: Ox on February 10, 2016, 05:03:15 PM
Quote from: beenthere on February 10, 2016, 12:11:51 PM
Yep, the only thing I've heard of is Monterey Bay.  Have you heard of Chenango County, NY?   
If not, then how about Coventry Station, Mowry's Hill, Scouten Hill or Burnt Hill?   ;D :D ;)

He is in a pretty remote part of California and I bet the indians still shoot at him with bows and arrows. smiley_horserider
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

Ox

That song "Please Mr. Custer" - hey! duck your head, Charlie!  Pffft........you were a little late on that one Charlie.   Ooooh, I bet that smarts!   :D

Seavee

Welcome to the forum. I can't help as I am from the east coast.
Wood mizer lt50 47hp yanmar Diesel  Sthil MS311, Ms661 MS200T, 029 farm boss  and a New Holland T4  75hp.

squidboy51

You guys know where Yosemite National Park is ???

North Fork is 20 minutes from the southern entrance, and my place and mill is 4 miles from the boat launch at Bass Lake. Nelder Grove,  home of the 2nd largest Sequoia tree, the Bull Buck Tree is 247 feet tall and 84 feet in circumference is just up the road.... Indians, yes! North Fork is home to the Mono Tribe.

Moss Landing is 3 hours from where I live, located between Monterey  and Santa Cruz. We have a boat in the harbor at Moss, can't afford a second home, but could swing a second boat to stay on.

FedEx guy told me there is an " Orange Saw Mill " set up a couple miles from me, I assume that means a Norwood. I will check it out and maybe get a tip or two.

squid

terrifictimbersllc

Your location is on the map in your profile.   ;)

If you use Woodmizer blades you can send them to Woodmizer Resharp in Oregon.   This and other locations can be seen here:
https://woodmizer.com/us/Portals/0/pdfs/ResharpFlyer2.pdf

I took the liberty of calculating UPS shipping cost from your location to the Oregon one, for a flat pack of 15 blades, about 30 x 30 x 2" and 30 pounds.   $19 each way.   If you deal with ReSharp you may  do better calling them and getting some shipping labels for whatever carrier they are using now.   Good luck.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Tom the Sawyer

So, central California, near Yosemite.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

squidboy51

The Wood-Miser Resharp program looks like a good deal for me. I am calling them to get an account tomorrow.

Thank you all for the valuable and entertaining replies. I especially enjoyed the "where in the hell is North Fork/Moss Landing". I will edit my profile to remedy my vagueness.

squid

Ox

:D  Glad to see you have a sense of humor and didn't get offended.  You'll fit it just fine here, I'm betting.

terrifictimbersllc

In the past, ordering 4 boxes of 15 (60 blades) from Wood-Mizer gets you 15% off and free shipping.   They don't have to be all the same style.   A good deal if you can use that many.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

never finished

I still don't know where you are. But I do know you need a lot bigger saw before you go cut that big tree. Woodmizer resharp is working well for me. 

Thank You Sponsors!