iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cummins 4bt 3.9

Started by David-L, February 07, 2016, 06:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David-L

If the fuel lift pump is leaking out the weap hole is it time for a change out or do you run them abit watching the crankcase oil as not to increase with raw fuel. New motor to me so don't really know the characteristics of these motors. Or is it a separate unit not even going into the crank cavity or is it cam driven.

In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

David-L

On my John Deere 440b If I remember if the inboard seal on the pump went you could fill the crank with raw fuel. Is this the same deal?

redprospector

If it were me, I'd change it ASAP. Weep holes are put there as an indicator of problems to come.
There used to be a commercial that said "You can pay me now, or you can PAY me later". I think that's where you are now.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Jhenderson

It's leaking. You know you'll have to change it eventually, why wait. Prices start at about $30 on eBay. Match the Cummins part number, or give Cummins North East your engine serial number and get one from them. A little more $ but factory part. If fluid can get out, junk can get in.

kiko

That lift pump came in many pressure configuration ,  depending on the injection pump.  Make sure you get the right one they look the same on the outside.  Also some block configuration required a spacer between the lift pump and the block, if this spacer gets left out , it will blow the back out of the new pump immediately.  If it's weeping, replace it.

David-L

So to get a new one , I get #'s off the injection pump and that will determine what psi pump to get? Where should I get this pump and the psi info if not on the injection pump. thanks Kiko.

David-L

Ok , just saw your post JHenderson. Thanks. Big weak ahead as the weather is going to be cold. put a 1000w block heater at it today and was looking it over when I noticed the pump weeping. gonna run it but will order one tomorrow with the engine serial and the injection pump #s if it has some. thanks everyone for the info.

bill m

You will need to find what "engine family" yours is. You will also need the engine serial number, CPL, and model number. This should all be on the engine data plate.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

David-L

Its a 4BTA3.9-C serial 44991464 series383  116 hp. Anyone know GPH and PSI for this series? Cummins Northeast has a distributor in Springfield, Mass which is 1 hr away.

bill m

The guys in Springfield know their stuff. I have worked with them a lot. You don't need the gpm or psi, they will know which lift pump you need.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

David-L

Well, hopefully this is an easy one. Doesn't look to bad to get off. can't have many more days off, last week was tough with the warm weather and storminess. Didnt' really want to switch machines up in the middle of the season but 240B's don't show up that often and it is a big upgrade for sure.

David-L

ga jones

That's the plunger style pump. With the VE rotary Bosch pump I have a Delphi part number if you need it David.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

ga jones

Looks like your getting hit with the blizzard
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

s grinder

If it has a V series pump and transfer pump starts to get weak,it will overheat pump and cause failure.Happened often to early 24 valve Cummins/Rams

ga jones

That would be a vp44 electronic pump on the 24v

David-L

Ordered one today , OEM and expensive for a transfer pump IMO. guy said it can't leak into the crank but get more weepy and eventually fails. Time to get the torpedo heater out and the blue makeshift tarp tent for some outdoor wrenching on Wednesday. Can't wait.

David-L

Just getting home from the woods and saw that my OEM Transfer pump from Cummins for the 240b came as I over nighted it for $30 bucks. So I opened the box and saw the spacer and the gaskets and opened the pump box which was packed seperately, looked it over and please excuse me if any foreigners from china are reading this but that pump says very clearly that its' made in China. The whole thing was $351 American dollars and that pump will be going back as I do not buy things made in China unless its an emergency or an absolute must. Really ticked me off, and from what I here it's way overpriced. Our country is in sad shape.

ehp

I'm with you on that, I'm sure it cost $10 or less for them to make it . I'm not a fan of stuff that comes from there either

Maine logger88

Yup I agree Chinese stuff doesn't seem to hold up very well. I have been buying tools to fill up my box and I was going to buy a couple craftsman sets but I found out most of that's made in China. Looks like it's gonna have to be snap on Mac and Cornwell or other brands of good old used American tools
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

David-L

Right next to the OEM cummins name stamped on the casting it says made in China. We have very capable engineers and machinist, etc in the USA and really cant' fathom why our government has lead us in this direction. I know why but don't want to pith anyone off. Enough said.

Maine logger88

79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

ga jones

Jhenderson

Cummins is a world wide co. They have complete mfg facilities in China. They have a foundry and casting facility in Brazil. The mfg in several European countries as well as the U.S. However, I believe you're getting hosed on the price of the pump. Pull the part number off that pump and hit Amazon. I wouldn't feel bad about sending it back if there's a big price difference but the Chinese mfg part doesn't bother me, as long as it's genuine Cummins. ,

ga jones

Delphi and Carter are manufacturing the pumps for cummins. So either one would be OEM. Delphi HFP702 is the low psi pump for a 4bt or 6bt with a VE rotary injection pump.HFP701 high psi would be for the p7100 inline injection pump.

Thank You Sponsors!